Bonuses & Perfomance related pay

Ephren Taylor

Its in the news that one of the bosses at work is expecting an annual bonus of about £9million, with an additional £20million+ from the sale of BGI last year

£75million earned (in bonuses alone) over the last 5 years

Are any of you expecting or already received a bonus for your work over the last year?

If you don't mind disclosing it...roughly how much?

What was your largest ever bonus payout?

What are your thoughts on the whole thing?

£23million during 2006.. In 2007, he was paid £18million including bonus and shares deals and in 2008, he got £17.5million. His package fell to £8million in 2009, during the height of the banking crisis, however he was able to supplement his income by selling shares in Barclays Global Investors for £24million.

Urgh why does anyone need that much in bonuses, and why would anyone think to pay that much?

My bonuses topped out at around £800 this year so to see guys getting in the 10s of millions Im actually wondering what I'm doing wrong.

f*cked up part is I was cool with what I got til I read this thread, now I feel parred

Urgh why does anyone need that much in bonuses, and why would anyone think to pay that much?

My bonuses topped out at around £800 this year so to see guys getting in the 10s of millions Im actually wondering what I'm doing wrong.

why not though? if the bank has the money then why shouldnt it be given out as bonuses? of course the banks want to invest and push the economy, its how they make money in the first place. but why should they invest in things that have too much risk associated with them and do bad business, its better off to "share their winnings" so to speak. at the end of the day the banking is like any other business, it just deals with large sums of money hence the resulting high pay.

its is a bit of an issue for the economy overall, but the plain fact is we live in an open economy with a mainly privatised banking industry so the government cant really do anything other than scrutinise.

tbh i think the driver is that the MPs and most of the country are just burning up inside at the amount of wealth these individuals have. if your gonna make an open economy and have a capitalistic regime then how can you complain if people have legitimately earned. this aint a communist country, we are free to make as much as we can. if you believe and support capitalist society then its double standards to be against those who are making obscene amounts, because thats just the results of them capitalising on their oppourtunity just like anybody else in the economy, regardless of the amount.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

What industry do you work in though Gandalf? Its not unusual for people in lucrative areas to receive larger than average bonuses

I agree, these amounts are ludicrous for a BONUS though.

Tbh , your bonus is bless, dont know many people who would complain about that..Do you feel that you earnt the extra p? honestly?

These bonuses are pretty much the only reason people put up with the looong ass hours and ridiculous levels of stress. Im still at work now, and its 1am

Spent xmas eve, NYE and pretty much every other public holiday in the office. I just hope I dont get parred in feb

Guest Waka Flocka Dave

banks gotta stay competitive, imagine how good you have to be/have worked to get to the top of these companies though? employing like 10's of thousands of people, i dont like the fact banks owed by the taxpayer are payin huge bonueses, but they gotta stay competitive to attract the best, they should find some other way of rewarding them though or split the bonuses up with something else somehow

banks gotta stay competitive, imagine how good you have to be/have worked to get to the top of these companies though? employing like 10's of thousands of people, i dont like the fact banks owed by the taxpayer are payin huge bonueses, but they gotta stay competitive to attract the best, they should find some other way of rewarding them though or split the bonuses up with something else somehow

if your working in the finance sector, and particularly in banking its because its about the money and its for the money. no other rewards tbh.

• Upvote 1

Guest Waka Flocka Dave

if your working in the finance sector, and particularly in banking its because its about the money and its for the money. no other rewards tbh.

obv im not sayin pay them in goats

theres bare different financial things, shares n that crap they bundle and sell on why dont they tie their bonusses to one of these things somehow, especially something thats rewarding for longterm results or whatever rather than massive short term risks

im aware they need bonusses bt its a par when theyre partly state owned

they already pay shares and securities insted of cash.

i do see the burden on the state tho with state owned investment banks like RBS.

in the end whats gonna happen is government will pass some kind of super tax or several legislations to get rid of this issue.

then the superstar bonuses will be a thing of the past.

they already pay shares and securities insted of cash.

i do see the burden on the state tho with state owned investment banks like RBS.

in the end whats gonna happen is government will pass some kind of super tax or several legislations to get rid of this issue.

then the superstar bonuses will be a thing of the past.

i tihnk the irish government has already discussed placing a 90% tax on bonuses

it's a pisstake tbh. joe bloggs can complain about banker's bonuses but he doesn't put work in like them. 100 hour weeks, in the office at 7am-11pm on sunday etc

ye theres no doubt bankers work hard. the hours lessen as you move up but still its not a 9-5 job. its a lifestyle more than an occupation.

lol @ 90% tax, whats the point of gettin paid anything. any tax shouldnt go above 50%. 60% maybe but when most of your earnings are getting taken it feels like your gettin raped. might aswell be a communist lol.