T-Mobile has lowered its data usage

Guest Waka Flocka Dave

Guest Waka Flocka Dave
T-Mobile cuts mobile data usage

T-Mobile has slashed the amount of data customers can consume on their handsets.

The company said the move was necessary to provide "a better experience for all our customers who use internet on their phone".

The monthly allowance for most has gone down from 1GB (gigabyte) to 500 MB (megabytes).

For Android handset owners, previously allocated 3GB per month, the drop is more than 80%.

"Given that data allowance was a driving force in choosing T-Mobile over competitors last year, this is a huge blow," disgruntled T-Mobile customer Steve Anderson told the BBC.

Wrecking ball

In the summer mobile operators including Vodafone and 02 introduced limits on the amount of data people could consume

Having initially followed suit, last month Three decided to scrap its data caps completely.

The reasons for T-Mobile's decision is two-fold, according to Shaun Collins, managing director of analyst firm CCS Insight.

"It needed to come more in line with what Orange is offering as they are both now part of the same company," he said.

"It also reflects the fact that it wants to manage its data plan," he added.

The firm singled out video as being a particularly data-hungry.

"Video is the wrecking ball to most operator's data plans," said Mr Collins.

But users remain keen to view video, whether it be clips from YouTube or home-made films via their mobile devices, he said..

A survey conducted by CCS Insight found music and video were the most popular applications for smartphones.

Despite this, the vast majority of users (over 90%) stay well below the 500MB figure when it comes to monthly data consumption, said Mr Collins.

"Most people won't notice the difference but there is a single digit minority that use upwards of 30% of the bandwidth," he said.

It appears to be these data-hungry users that T-Mobile is targeting.

"Customers who have a need for higher volumes of data will be encouraged to take up a separate mobile broadband plan," said a T-Mobile spokesman.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12160654

3 is the online with a good FUP regarding data usage

Guest Waka Flocka Dave

man 500mb is nothing, they say the majority fall below this, well then they dont f*ckin browse much do they, adn, erm, if they stay under it then why are you lowering it?? aint like ur sayin theres too many man hoggin the network n need to ration it to everyone.

cocks

data hungry man might just have to jump to 3, i think their coverage is getting better

and they need to introduce a f*ckin 4g network

O2 f*ck*ng screwed me when they dfid this. 500MB doesn't give me f*ck all, I've had to buy an extra 500MB bolt on and I still used up all my data within 3 weeks.

Bull f*ck*ng sh*t. I only bought into my deal because of unlimited data. Cunts.

On this basis could i use them slashing internet usage to cancel my contract?

probably, they say "subject to change" but that's still against the Unfair Contract Terms Act

but with T Mobile, because they don't charge for going over the limit, take the piss for 2 months and they'll end the contract. did it 2 me, still

i was on 17GB a month, FUP was 3GB

only downfall was that they cut my internet during peak times, so i had to do it all off peak, was annoying when i wanted to do random browsing

* applies to Mobile Broadband, if this isn't Your service, or if You do get charged for going over the limit, ignore except opening line *

500mb serves me just fine cos I do most of my stuff whilst in range of wifi, either home, uni, library, friends, cafe etc

It could easily be not enough though. I tend to turn internet off when I'm asleep- particularly to save battery and stop annoying cunts waking me up

What the hell are you guys doing download GB's of data on a handset that you cannot do on a Laptop/Desktop machine?

My handset is used for reading emails, texting, calling and the odd occasion of needing the internet when duty calls.

mostly YouTube/ iplayer and apps when I'm at work or out that gets me the worst

if they didn't expect people to be using 3gb they wouldn't have given it to us

streaming radio @ 128kbps bitrate

(128/8)*60*60 = 57.6MB

(bits per second/bits in a byte)*seconds*minutes = per hour

meaning you can't listen to 10 hour-length radio sets a month

that's just one example

“On Monday 10 January 2011 we announced that, in line with the rest of the industry, T-Mobile would be reducing its Fair Use Policy for data usage to 500MB a month for all mobile phone customers. Following a further review of our policy, these changes will now be introduced from 1 February, to new and upgrading customers only - not existing customers.

There will be no change to the data packages for existing customers for the duration of their contract and we apologise for any confusion caused. The revision to the Fair Use Policy is designed to ensure an improved quality of service for all mobile internet users."

Lysa Hardy, VP, T-Mobile UK

[/Quote]

http://support.t-mobile.co.uk/help-and-support/index?page=home&cat=DATA_CHANGES

I'll let them off

:Y:

/

I'm always downloading MP3's on my phone when i'm out and about & streaming radio youtube ect