External Hard Drive doesn't work on laptop

charliechalk

So I bought one of those things and it worked fine on my pc and everythings cool everything is on there that should be on there.

Then I put it in my laptop and the laptop skitzed out and turns off every time I plug it in and run the programme.

I've got no viruses I do Spybot all the time and generally have no other problems with my laptop so what's the problem?

Thanks in advance.

start the laptop with the HD plugged in

eject the HD properly when You wana take it out. reason it's turning Your computer off is that it's drawing a voltage from the pc power supply, to power itself, when You eject it incorrectly, the pc suddenly gets more voltage than it's supposed to.

but while there's a topic and i don't need to make a new 1:

i use my HD in a pc. I wana use it in a Mac. it doesn't work in the Mac. what i do?

but while there's a topic and i don't need to make a new 1:

i use my HD in a pc. I wana use it in a Mac. it doesn't work in the Mac. what i do?

you gotta format it to FAT32...

you wont be able to store any files over 4gb on it tho....

somehow my external hd got a virus which avg immediately found and quarantined when I plugged it into my laptop. Only thing is now whenever I try and open the drive on my laptop it says access denied, works on any other pc/mac tho. I thought maybe it was avg that was blocking the access so disabled it but it still won't open the drive.

Nah it doesn't turn off like that it bluescreens and says something about recently installed hardware.

Then it won't turn back on until I do system restore.

It doesn't come with drivers or a CD or nothing it automatically installs when ya plug it in well thats what it says and thats what it did on me pc.

Thanks for the help btw