Simon Cowell Reveals Secrets of Success

DJ Stashman

Simon Cowell, creator and judge on Pop Idol, American Idol and The X Factor, has revealed that listening and emotional intelligence are important in the entertainment business, but hiding weakness from competitors is also vital.

“Doing these shows is relentless,” he told Oprah Winfrey on her TV show. “When the ratings come in you’re happy for five minutes, then insecure madness comes in, and you worry about next week.” In the notoriously cut-throat music industry, Cowell says he’s learned it’s crucial not to show weakness to competitors.

“People sometimes react to my confidence in the way that two dogs meet in the park for the first time – regardless of who is the biggest, if one dog senses fear it will kill the other dog,” said the 51-year-old.

Cowell revealed some of his secrets of success – one being to “talk 10 per cent of the time and listen for 90 per cent of the time.” Despite his reputation for brutal honesty and cold-heartedness, the Los Angeles-based showbiz mogul stressed the importance of emotion in the entertainment business.

“You’ve got to think with your heart and not your head,” he said. “The biggest failures I’ve had were at a time when I believed my own hype.” In 2010, British magazine New Statesman listed Cowell at number 41 in a list of “The World’s 50 Most Influential Figures 2010.” That followed a different ranking in 2003 when Cowell placed number 33 on Channel 4′s list of the all-time 100 Worst Britons, due to his combative and critical judging decisions on TV.

With Sony Music Entertainment, Cowell is launching a US version of X Factor in September 2011. Cowell became engaged to make up artist Mezhgan Hussainy in February 2010. They met on the set of American Idol.

http://www.indexonline.org/simon-cowell-reveals-secrets-of-success/2085