Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Adotbiz

PS3 - yellow light of death!!

23 posts in this topic

mine broke last night.. with my cod: black ops disc stuck inside.. been watching a few videos on youtube of how to fix it yourself.. do you think its worth it, or just buy a new one?

mine broke last night.. with my cod: black ops disc stuck inside.. been watching a few videos on youtube of how to fix it yourself.. do you think its worth it, or just buy a new one?

Call sony cust. serv....and get a new 1 sent to you...u might have to pay, try and get it for free tho.

i havnt got a warrenty though? you still think will be able to get 1?

I have had the YLOD twice on my PS3. First time I fixed it following a youtube video it lasted 6 months and broke again. Second time I fixed it, that was about 5 months ago still running fine.

What area do you live in?

There's a shop in Lewisham where this Chinese man fixes ps3/xbox etc etc

prevention is easy. wipe any dust You see on the holes on the sides of the console.

repair is doable, but try get a repair from sony first

used to live in lewisham, yorkshire now..

yeah il give them a call and say about dont expect song to be so sh*t etc..

thanks for advice!!

Do u kno the name of this shop? Im not from the are but dont mind travelling just need to ring up before.

Also anybody wanna sell me their ylod ps3's?

I got a ps3 that needs disk drive changing

how much will that cost

bout 50 for the drive, if You can do the repair, then free repair, if not maybe another 20 for repair

update?

ima have to call them up this week, so i just go on a jack bauer flex? dont take no for an answer

YLOD is a overheating issue, manufacturers like to use low quality thermal paste on cpu's and gpu's thus failing quite early. If you have to pay for a new unit you might aswell repair it yourself. Its easy enough to do and will cost you no more than £20, but time consuming as you have to take apart your console to get to the motherboard. Once there you need to remove the old thermal compound on both the cpu and gpu by using Isopropyl Alcohol or nail varnish remover.

Once removed, heat up the back of the cpu and gpu with a heat gun, then let it cool for 15 mins (this allows them to reseat to their original position) then add thermal paste, ideally you should get arctic silver 5 or antec formula 5. The trick is to use just enough.

Once done reassemble and switch on, it should run as cool as you first brought it.

I've done this technique (minus the heating up bit) to both my laptop and home pc when they've started getting hot or fans kicking in all the time, It works a treat.

Yes

Bumping this because my fat PS3 did this last night.

I've checked out the videos online and I'm confident I could repair it myself (have been building PCs for about 10 years now)

Here's the thing. I don't think I have the time to do it. 

How much have people paid for repairs in the past? I've got a quote from a local guy that'll do it while I'm at work for £50. And he says his repair technique is "Sony Recommended".

Just trying to find out if £50 is a good price or not. 

mine did this

couldnt be arsed n copped a slim one off ebay for under a bill

I've acquired a slim for £70 and should pick it up on Friday, but I want to get the fatty repaired so I can pull the saves or at least shot it

I've acquired a slim for £70 and should pick it up on Friday, but I want to get the fatty repaired so I can pull the saves or at least shot it

where u cop from

where u cop from

Friend of a friend that doesn't use it apparently. I know he's good for it, just don't think he can be fucked with ebay

My 40gb I bought in 2007 is still going strong!!

wish mine lasted at least till ps4 launch FFS

fat fuck

My 40gb I bought in 2007 is still going strong!!

Hover the vents regularly and even consider getting some additional fans. Seriously

ive got an original 60gigg. it dont work anymore. naturally i dont want to give up on it.

ive got a guy on my BB who fixed my 80gigg for me within 1hour when it broke the day before the pes b4 the last one came out.

He told me recently to go cashconverters and buy a 60gig he will swap the insides then return the 60gig. give him a "£50.

Need to get onto this.