PS3 - yellow light of death!!

Adotbiz

mine broke last night.. with my cod: black ops disc stuck inside.. been watching a few videos on youtube of how to fix it yourself.. do you think its worth it, or just buy a new one?

Call sony cust. serv....and get a new 1 sent to you...u might have to pay, try and get it for free tho.

YLOD is a overheating issue, manufacturers like to use low quality thermal paste on cpu's and gpu's thus failing quite early. If you have to pay for a new unit you might aswell repair it yourself. Its easy enough to do and will cost you no more than £20, but time consuming as you have to take apart your console to get to the motherboard. Once there you need to remove the old thermal compound on both the cpu and gpu by using Isopropyl Alcohol or nail varnish remover.

Once removed, heat up the back of the cpu and gpu with a heat gun, then let it cool for 15 mins (this allows them to reseat to their original position) then add thermal paste, ideally you should get arctic silver 5 or antec formula 5. The trick is to use just enough.

Once done reassemble and switch on, it should run as cool as you first brought it.

I've done this technique (minus the heating up bit) to both my laptop and home pc when they've started getting hot or fans kicking in all the time, It works a treat.

• 2 years later...

Yes

Bumping this because my fat PS3 did this last night.

I've checked out the videos online and I'm confident I could repair it myself (have been building PCs for about 10 years now)

Here's the thing. I don't think I have the time to do it. 

How much have people paid for repairs in the past? I've got a quote from a local guy that'll do it while I'm at work for £50. And he says his repair technique is "Sony Recommended".

Just trying to find out if £50 is a good price or not. 

I've acquired a slim for £70 and should pick it up on Friday, but I want to get the fatty repaired so I can pull the saves or at least shot it

where u cop from

Friend of a friend that doesn't use it apparently. I know he's good for it, just don't think he can be fucked with ebay

ive got an original 60gigg. it dont work anymore. naturally i dont want to give up on it.

ive got a guy on my BB who fixed my 80gigg for me within 1hour when it broke the day before the pes b4 the last one came out.

He told me recently to go cashconverters and buy a 60gig he will swap the insides then return the 60gig. give him a "£50.

Need to get onto this.