Agent Curveball - I lied about Iraq WMDS

Mr Q

This is how much we wanted to go to war with Iraq, the governments believed someone who hated the regime with a passion. Doesn't really bode well, does it.

How Bush/Blair aren't standing trial in a court, but are instead allowed to make millions, beyond me.

The defector who convinced the White House that Iraq had a secret biological weapons programme has admitted for the first time that he lied about his story, then watched in shock as it was used to justify the war.

Rafid Ahmed Alwan al-Janabi, codenamed Curveball by German and American intelligence officials who dealt with his claims, has told the Guardian that he fabricated tales of mobile bioweapons trucks and clandestine factories in an attempt to bring down the Saddam Hussein regime, from which he had fled in 1995.

"Maybe I was right, maybe I was not right," he said. "They gave me this chance. I had the chance to fabricate something to topple the regime. I and my sons are proud of that and we are proud that we were the reason to give Iraq the margin of democracy."

The admission comes just after the eighth anniversary of Colin Powell's speech to the United Nations in which the then-US secretary of state relied heavily on lies that Janabi had told the German secret service, the BND. It also follows the release of former defence secretary Donald Rumsfeld's memoirs, in which he admitted Iraq had no weapons of mass destruction programme.

"Maybe I was right, maybe I was not right," he said. "They gave me this chance. I had the chance to fabricate something to topple the regime. I and my sons are proud of that and we are proud that we were the reason to give Iraq the margin of democracy."

SMH

Dont know where to start with this. Proud of all the soldier and innocent people on both sides who have died? Proud of the sectarian killings and instabilities the country now face? ORLY?

Maybe regeime change was due in Iraq but recent events around the world have shown that certain countries dont need team america go fly around handling business for them.