_________ >>>>>> British legal system

Guest Lens

A company has become the first to be convicted under new corporate manslaughter legislation, following the death of a young geologist.

Mr Wright, 27, from Cheltenham, was alone in the 12.6ft-deep unsupported trial pit when it caved in at a development site in Brimscombe Lane, near Stroud, Gloucs, in September 2008.

He was left alone on the site after Mr Eaton left when the cave-in occurred and despite desperate attempts to save him, Mr Wright died from traumatic asphyxia as the weight of the soil crushed his body.

The digging of trial pits by the company was wholly and unnecessarily dangerous, the prosecution argued but Mr Eaton said that rule did not apply to geologists who used their judgment on whether it was safe to enter the pit.

The case was adjourned for sentence on Thursday at 2pm and the company now faces an unlimited fine.

Read more: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/latest/2011/02/15/company-convicted-in-legal-first-115875-22925909/#ixzz1EJzue3Pa

i'm sorry, how can a company commit manslaughter?

surely an individual must be responsible?

unlimited fine became £300,000 - we have precedential law in this coutnry, so i'm sure an individual can combine this precedent with the "Seperate Entity Law" to argue that the company was treated like an individual, fined £300,000, therefore he should get fined £300,000 for manslaughtering someone....

• Downvote 2

Unless you really understand law, which I'm sure many Mirror readers do (lolj/k) debating the ins and outs on here is quite futile. DUCY? Given that most companies have been allowed to get away with paying civil damages (a mere speck on their total balance sheet), the damage that a criminal prosecution will bring to their reputation is more of a punishment in the long run.

• Upvote 2

Guest Supreme Allah

TBH from when you have companies dumping waste in deprived countries killing little kids im all for this law (yea im not sure if a British co. did it in a diff country theyd get tried here for the crime, but still im making a point)

they should make sure, to the best of their abilities, that your safe.

ie, BP should have been charged for the oil rig explosion that killed 11 people (yea i know its a dangerous job)

• Upvote 1

TBH from when you have companies dumping waste in deprived countries killing little kids im all for this law (yea im not sure if a British co. did it in a diff country theyd get tried here for the crime, but still im making a point)

ie, BP should have been charged for the oil rig explosion that killed 11 people (yea i know its a dangerous job)

There's a British oil company in Uganda that is currently paying off Ugandan politicians to literally wipe out people's homes etc for their own greedy gains. Look up Tullow, my boy is a prolific writer in this area.

Guest Supreme Allah

There's a British oil company in Uganda that is currently paying off Ugandan politicians to literally wipe out people's homes etc for their own greedy gains. Look up Tullow, my boy is a prolific writer in this area.

that aint even the only company f*ckin sh*t up

really dont know how someone can just sit there and reap the rewards when they make people suffer, certain people have no heart

Guest M12 Part 2

This is completely fair. They broke every rule going in construction you aren't supposed to work alone and for going into confined spaces they are meant to provide a safe method of working with multiple backup/escape plans in case anything goes wrong. And lol at having no earthwork support in a 12ft trial pit. Company took the piss fully.

• Upvote 2