Spurs £8m player Dies

Admin.

Dean Richards, the former Tottenham Hotspur, Southampton and Wolves defender, has died at the age of 36.

When Richards moved from Saints to Spurs in 2001 in an £8.1m deal it was the highest amount paid for a player with no senior international caps.

Just four years after that record switch, he was forced to end his 13-year playing career because of illness.

Since 2007, Richards had been youth-team coach at hometown club Bradford City, where he began his career.

In 1995 Richards was signed by Wolves and four years later moved to then-Premiership side Southampton, who were managed by current Cardiff boss Dave Jones at the time.

Richards also impressed under Jones's successor Glenn Hoddle, who took the centre-half with him to White Hart Lane in 2001.

Richards was dogged by injury at Spurs, however, making 73 appearances in his four years in north London.

After suffering dizzy spells and headaches, Richards was advised it would be harmful to his health to continue playing and hung up his boots in March 2005.

He had initially been diagnosed with an inner ear infection and underwent a scan for a brain tumour, which came back negative.

Richards played for England's Under-21s on four occasions but did not wins any caps at senior level.

Sad, when I saw the Dean Richards I thought it may have been suicide..

RIP

im going to hell and you defo are

i know what you done there