Gmail Accounts Wiped

Guest Supreme Allah

Guest Supreme Allah
Thousands of Gmail accounts accidentally wiped

Thousands of Gmail users have been left with empty inboxes after their accounts were accidentally wiped clean.

As well as missing e-mails, many reported that their contacts had also disappeared.

Google, which operates Gmail, said that a small percentage of its users had been affected.

Some accounts have already been restored, suggesting the data was not permanently deleted.

In a statement, Google said: "This is affecting less than .08% of our Gmail user base, and we've already fixed the problem for some individuals."

The company said that engineers were working to restore service.

Google does not release official figures for the number of Gmail accounts, however it is believed to be between 150 million and 200 million.

That would mean that around 150,000 users were affected by the problem.

Gmail outages on this scale are rare, according to Alex Chitu, whose blog Google Operating System, charts the company's cloud computing initiatives.

He told BBC News that although service was being restored, many users were angry about the way the outage had been handled.

"Today's issue shows that Gmail is far from perfect and Google should do a better job at communicating with users.

"When you can't access your message and your Google account is disabled, it's nice to know why," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12600179

i couldnt get push email to work on my phone last night (started workin this morning) proper thought something was up

hope mine dont get wiped, i really need to start backing them up instead of jus relying on google

Guest Supreme Allah

Pissed I literally have a gmail account just for backing up documents and files.

almost the sdame as that for me, i send my self stuff to retreave later

and i have some sh*t on google docs, and i use the calendar alot for work cos it automatically syncs with my phone

making me think i need to invest in something else

Guest Supreme Allah

even tho this is tiny i really thought cloud computing was the future

bt one major firm hosting a host of content from various organisations and individuals means a f*ck up effects are wide

Guest Supreme Allah

my account got disabled this morning aswell, just tried to sign in and it wasnt having it

got SO shook when i realised its my lifeline, when i first tried it it said it was disabled for violating terms and conditions, i thought that was it, then i hit some next page n said security n had to reset my password

says an IP in Poland tried log in

Guest Supreme Allah

yea all my contacts are stored on windows live n updated on the fly

if that f*cks up or if someone manages to sign in and wipe it im f*cked