★★★ Wladamir Klitschko -vs- David Haye ★★★

Guest Klitschko

Guest Klitschko

Vitali: Please, promise, infront of all these journalists, that your coming to the press conference after the fight, make sure you're thereDavid Haye: Make sure you're there, don't go to the hospital with your brother

• Upvote 2

Anyone going out in London (like central) to watch this?not sports cafe
I'm eating up going out somewhere in central, attempt to soak up some sort of Atmosphere and make some sense of occasion of it, Or staying in buying it for £15 and getting ppl to bring drinks round, as that would be value for money, and the headache of finding somewhere to go is avoided, However If anyone knows of anywhere worth going, share the info.

As the row over the choice of referee for the David Haye-Wladimir Klitschko heavyweight bout intensifies, Lennox Lewis holds up his fists and says: "I wanted to knock you out. I wanted to use my own judges in there. That's what David Haye has to do. He has to use his own judges and try to knock Wladimir out." Lewis, a connoisseur of boxing's "politricks", advises his fellow Briton not to rely on the sympathy of a lead official — Genaro Rodriguez — who has refereed four of Klitschko's fights and is the appointee of governing bodies working in the more senior combatant's adopted home. Britain's former undisputed champion says: "If you go into another boxer's country you have to really show that you have won the fight. I feel David is going to have to knock him out." The victim himself of an infamous injustice at Madison Square Garden, where he outboxed Evander Holyfield only to go home with a draw, Lewis will remember Don King, the promoter, crying, "We can't let them get away with this!" King's answer to the scandalous denial of a Lewis victory was to order a lucrative rematch. Lewis thinks the Haye camp were right to oppose the Rodriguez appointment: "Oh yeah, I would do that, too. You need a ref in there that can pull them apart, who can impose his refereeing standards. But absolutely, I would object. I did it many times. "Obviously, on paper, Wladimir definitely weighs more, has a longer reach, a lot more experience boxing heavier guys and is a true heavyweight. Plus he has a great trainer in his corner. By the looks of it, he'll have some great judges in his corner, too. Who is the promoter here?" This is asked rhetorically. "Anything can happen. There are a lot of things against David. But if there is anybody who can go against all these odds, it's him. "When I fought Holyfield I wasn't prepared for his head. I was thinking – maybe the referee is going to say something, but he didn't, and I was getting headbutted. That's something you have to deal with right then and there, and forget about it, go forward and stick to the plan." Now an analyst for Sky Box Office, Lewis retains his career-long coolness, entering the room for a sit-down with British reporters to the tune of Crazy Baldheads, his ring anthem. But the fighter inside is tightly restrained. "I feel good, I feel strong, and when I see Samuel Peter, guys like that are small to me. I think – I can come back and knock you out – but I've talked myself out of it." Instead he talks about the biggest heavyweight clash since his era with a keen eye for the strengths of both protagonists. Klitschko's trainer, Emanuel Steward, contributed to many Lewis victories and his former student says now: "I pretty well know what Manny will tell him. He will tell him to go out there and control the fight. Get him with the jab, push him back. "But will Wladimir do that? He's been off to slow starts, not really doing a lot of work in the first few rounds. He waits a little too much. David's going to be moving, trying to figure out how to get in there. When he does get in there he has to throw punches in bunches and then get out of the way. "He can't allow Wladimir to lean on him. That's one of the biggest mistakes a lot of people have made against him, especially a lot of Americans who have come over. They have allowed Wladimir to slap their hands down and put his weight on them. He usually roughs them up a bit. Manny will say – rough him up a bit, put your weight on him, push him back. "Like, when I fought his brother [Vitali]. I hurt him and he collapsed on to me. It was like he was on me, and I was — Oh man, now I have to push away 250lbs, then throw a power punch. It's just draining." Lewis tended to intimidate through aura and sheer physical presence but he approves of Haye's goading of Klitschko, which, he thinks, is intended to force "Dr Steelhammer" out of his safe zone into a wilder, more emotional donnybrook. "Oh, yeah, Jeez. David is in a great frame of mind. Wladimir is pretty stoical. There is a stiffness about him. David is playing with him in a sense. He is saying things to him that would bother me. He's saying things in interviews that would make me jump across the chair at him. "Wladimir seems like he's handling it well, but maybe burning up inside. I would not like to be called any names. It can have two effects. David could be psyching himself up because you can't speak it and then not go in there and do it. Or he could be trying to get into Wladimir's head to get him so wound up that he goes in there and expels all his energy in the first few rounds because David has been taking the mickey out of him for however many days and wearing these T-shirts and calling Wladimir a d*ckhead and all that type of thing." And his verdict: "If you look at it on paper Wladimir is supposed to win, but my heart goes with David."