Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Supermalt

Modern Day Slavery

48 posts in this topic

A pensioner has been convicted of trafficking and exploiting an African woman she used as a "slave". While it was the first prosecution of its kind, could there be many more cases behind the UK's front doors?

An innocuous bungalow in a leafy London suburb might not be an obvious location for "modern day slavery".

But there can be little doubt that is what 47-year-old Mwanamisi Mruke suffered at the hands of Saeeda Khan.

The 68-year-old hired Mrs Mruke in her native Tanzania in 2006 after she was made redundant from the hospital in Dar es Salaam run by Khan and her late husband.

Khan arranged a domestic service visa and promised to pay her 120,000 shillings (£21) a month into her Tanzanian bank account and £10 a month pocket money in London.

Mrs Mruke, desperate to fund her daughter Zakia's college education, agreed.

But when she got to London, Khan took her passport away, forced her to sleep on the kitchen floor and gave her two slices of bread a day for food. Her clothes were kept in a garden shed.

Between 6am and midnight each day, Mrs Mruke was expected to be at the beck and call of Khan, who would ring a bell when she or her two grown-up, disabled children wanted something.

Sometimes she would even be woken during the night to take Khan's son out for a walk.

Mrs Mruke did not get a single day off in four years.

The letter said: "While you're still working with the woman and her children you must obey her all the time and you must do your work with love and show your love to the children."

The letter warned her that her life might be in danger if she spoke out, adding: "We are asking you to stay quiet in that place and to continue with work peacefully. Your blessing will be in Heaven, not here."

:huh: f*cked.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12687088

Why do they say 'modern day slavery' as if it's not rife throughout the world d has never been higher

think there was program on something like this on c4 a while back, who remembers

Why do they say 'modern day slavery' as if it's not rife throughout the world d has never been higher

/

SMFH @ the racist comments. :rolleyes:

think there was program on something like this on c4 a while back, who remembers

yep

#maybe cos it was a nothing thing, then outlawed, i dunno

bt yea there was that program with kids being brought over here to work as sex slaves

almost made me not want to hit massage parlours

Asians look at blacks as lower class

Seen this nuff

/

It might have been a racist comment but there are certain areas of the world which are known "hotspots" for slavery, is it racist to point this out?

/

It might have been a racist comment but there are certain areas of the world which are known "hotspots" for slavery, is it racist to point this out?

I believe he was referring to 'f*ck*ng pakis'

f*ck*ng pakis aint racist if they are f*ck*ng pakis

/

I believe he was referring to 'f*ck*ng pakis'

lol, exactly

its not as rife or higher than when up to 100m africans were traded around the world by arabs and whites.

so its actually modern day slavery.

Asians look at blacks as lower class

Seen this nuff

bare idiots

stereotyping asians because a few of them stereotype

just as bad

Ask your mum what would happen if you wanted to marry a black girl son.

my parents aren't racist idiots

none of my family is (big family)

so suck my balls

The fact you got so upset says different.

i wudn't say upset, but ok.

ORLY

eyebrows will rise bro

ORLY

unibrows will rise bro