Jamie Woon

Young £

Guest Esquilax

My review

When I heard Night Air for the first time I thought it was a fantastic single; soulful, coldly atmospheric and Woon’s vocals complimented it perfectly. The track, co produced by the sound-tracker of London himself Burial, was one of the reasons Jamie Woon was featured high on many a list of 2011’s next big things.

I’m so disappointed by Mirrorwriting that I can barely contain the many yawns that wanted to escape from my starved brain. It begins, as you can imagine, with Night Air, a strong start no doubt, a song that gives you the sort of confidence that a great album full of diverse and uniquely brilliant tunes is waiting for you. Then Street begins, and you say to yourself ‘OK, so it’s not as good as Night Air, so what? There’s another ten songs to go.’ Then it nosedives, drastically and rapidly. Dull and monotonous, it doesn’t even sound like it’s been made by the same person. The rest of the tracks rely on echoed and reverbed percussions to build presence and atmosphere, but without the grounding and substance of better song writing and more accessible vocal melodies, these are lost.

I’m not saying Jamie Woon isn’t good, far from it. He is a talented guy, with a great voice that could melt hearts, but this record is no evidence of that. I hope when his sophomore effort comes out in the future, it will be more of the punctual grooves we love, and won’t be so painfully forgettable.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Esquilax

I don't just listen once when I review it

Its more that its not what I wanted it to be, I.e not like Night Air, which is what it should've sounded like for me

It was just boring and unmemorable

that is fine but you said this "without the grounding and substance of better song writing"

lol mate

from wen you didnt mention Spirits and Waterfront and then are posting links to Miley Cyrus tunes bout great songwriting in a next thread

"and a Jay z song was onnnnnnnnn"

timeless mate

jeez i dunno

Lady Luck ffs

• Upvote 1

Guest Esquilax

Dunno what you're trying to prove, the song writing was average, every critic who has given it a positive review has cited the samples and 'ethereal' feel of it, which isn't even that prevalent, it's a middle of the road soul album with a couple of tunes that are OK but don't come close to matching Night Air

You listen to Night Air and then you listen to the rest and you're like wtf... When you're an artist who is the SOUND OF 11 you kind of have an obligation to make your sound different like it wa on NA, but it's jut repetitive and dull IMO

You obviously love him off and that's cool, I just thought it was f*ck*ng boring

I also said he wasn't sh*t, he has a great voice but the way he's currently using it on these productions doesn't show it properly

ok i feel you.

if there was one thing i myself was frightened of, it was him being labeled middle of the road, which these days (without an obvious image) is easy to fall into.

i personally think he's made a really classy album that will stand the test of time against flavour of the month types like Katy B and James Blake (the latter of which i think is an absolute genius btw).

this is a kid who's aspiring to that MJ, D'angelo, Massive Attack type of longevity with this album.

he knows your mum will like him just as much if not even more than you do and so has placed his voice centre stage against up to date yet subtle production, that does kind of leave you wanting more.

i think the strength in his songwriting is it's indirectness that allows the listener to apply personal meaning to it. of course you run the risk of being seen as wishy washy when you enter that realm but i've always been a fan of that style.

agree to disagree. i understand it doesnt light your fire i just thought it might be a case of why didnt Burial produce the whole album give me more post dupstep etc

Woons put out a brilliant debut album that gives him the freedom to explore any path from here. just dont be expecting another album for a while.

Guest Esquilax

Yeah sure, agree to disagree, but I'd like to say it's not cuz it wasn't wholly produced by Burial and didn't have that feel, just that I expected something a bit more OUT there, you know

But yeah, cool that you liked it n that, you seen him live?

yeah

his live show is very good. got a solid band with a few tricks up their sleeve

they bring a lot more life to some of these tracks on the grounds you really get to hear them tump! which i agree is whats missing from the album on occasion

took em a while to find their lane cos obviously for years now its just been him a guitar and a loop station

• 10 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Oi his latest album is fire. Just listening for the first time now...

Nice and smooth