Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr. Martinez

Kingston 256GB V100 SSD

18 posts in this topic

Apparently makes your old-ish laptop come alive...

Review: Kingston 256GB V100 SSD: your machine, on speed

Solid state drives offer a new lease of life for ageing machines - and will put more than a spring into the step of any system. Laptop owners in particular will like Kingston's offering which work with any OS

Kingston V100 SSD drives: The verdict

Pros:

Extremely fast; quiet; lower power demand; no risk from being dropped; unaffected by magnets; contains firmware that does TRIM function if not provided by OS

Cons:

Expensive (about £350 for a 256GB drive, compared to around £60 for the same size of rotating drive for a laptop); lifetime depends on usage.

Verdict: has to be 5 stars, despite the price, because anything that lets you completely revive your machine for less than half its cost is definitely worth the money.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/mar/23/ssd-solid-state-drive-kingston-v100-review

Anyone have one?

i got an intel ssd for Win 7 and other application in my pc, would recommend any decent ssd in general. everything runs allot faster.

Do you think with a 4-5 year old laptop it's worth buying an ssd, or save the 3 bills towards a new lappy in the future?

isnt a ssd just a hard drive? its not really a processor so how can it make things faster? just queryin

id say ur better off gettin a new lappy tbh. simply because the ssd can only perform as fast as the processor and vice versa. So if the processor is fairly slow it might not be able to use the ssd to it's full potential, or u might not notice that huge of a change in speed.

Also they're expensive for very little space.

/

It performs faster cos there are no moving parts and it doesn't have to "find" the data on a disc.

isnt a ssd just a hard drive? its not really a processor so how can it make things faster? just queryin

solid state drive, the normal one has moving parts inside that spins.

SSDs are just a massive USB drive, think thats the best way to put it

i dont know exactly why its much faster, but its something to do with the type of memory used or some sh*t

they have a shorter life span that spinning disks aswell, i think it was 100,000 read/write cycles or something

they're faster because of their read/write speeds, which are beastly compared to normal hard drives...

I've got the Crucial Real SSD C300 64GB one, which is amazingly fast.

They're more reliable and last longer than mechanical hard drives, and you can get utilities that show you the drives health, how long they have left e.g

SSDlife1.png

you don't need to defrag it, and you shouldn't anyway because it will wear it out and reduce the life time.

bruv, the hdd i'm booting from now is a decade old (give or take a few months)

the benefits don't come anywhere to outweighing the cost imo

yea ive still got drives ive had since 02 which i randomly plug in to get old sh*t.

imagine your hosting a server or something, having to change them every five years is a next ting

plus they cost like 3 times the normal price

Not really buying into this whole solid state drives until the prices significantly drops. The 'mechanical' hard drive I have on my laptop has served me well. I'd rather spend the money on a 1 TB drive (internal or external).

The only bad thing about SSD drives is the limited write cycles you have.

Had an SSD for over 18 months now on my HTPC and cannot recommend enough.

I only run the OS and major programs though; all media and even gaming on other drives.

The load and startup times are just disgusting.

i want a 25 layer protected harddrive

which ones are the best out there?

Eurgh

I want this

Can one boot off an external SSD

can boot off anything, but you're only as fast as your tech allows

usb = ~1MB/s max

sata ~2MB/s max