How Did You Become A Lover Of Football?

Mame Biram Diouf

Back in 96 before my Grandad passed away took me to my first game at Old Trafford I just remember thinking why are all these people running around chasing a ball, but then after getting taking to a variety of matches to see Qpr, Brenford, Crystal Palace and Tottenham (back when ticket prices where so much more suited to working class people), I just feel in love but my cousin who attended most of the same games as me is not a fan of football at all not sure what went wrong there.

Just remember in primary school pretending to be man like Batistuta when i was upfront and Lizarua when I was right back dunno how that happened just used to spring with the ball tbh the tekks wernt there. Then my mum spending what money see had left to fund my PL sticker book collection. Those wehre the days most people were obsessed with Pokenman I was just concered wit collecting the shinys to complete my pages

Then in high school I discovered football banter never looked back sense, passion for football grew even more playing in the school team pre planning our pass and move game but then when it came to it just kicking the sh*t out of the other team and toe punting it more time :lol:

So how/who got you into football?

Sometimes I have nightmares of my son saying Daddy this is boring I wanna go home and play PS5, hopefully he supports Man Utd I wont take him to any Chelsea, Arsenal games might take him Liverpool too make sure he is put off them seeing a 39year old Andy Carrol zimmer framing down the pitch trying to work off his 35mill fee still

Anyway add yours...

Pics, Vids etc

• Downvote 1

Suppose the start of it was the marketing, the shirts were gorgeous but expensive; marketed well so you wanted one. Wait months and then get it for Christmas, sick.

Remember when squad numbers came in I was so pumped about getting Yorkie's name on my back.

Remember being completely overawed at Villa Park feeling really awkward, embarrassingly asking my Dad the words to songs and sh*t lol

Our generation were sort of thrown into it I guess as football's popularity was coming into a meteoric rise, the glory of the England side at the '90 World Cup coupled with the start of the Premier League giving everyone a fresh start. Look at the clubs who finished top three between 1990 and 1995 for example, the league was so competitive. Off the top of my head Villa finishing 2nd and then 16th, Leeds winning it and finishing 17th, Blackburn winning it and finishing midtable.

Guest haze-e

PLAYING IT!

Same. I used to get free tickets to watch Millwall when I was in primary school but I never ever went lol. Grew up in the Millwall are racist cunts era. My Aunt used to take me to watch Utd when I was younger and moreso in secondary school. Just random games she could get tickets for, no season ticket thing.

College times I would borrow my friends season ticket for Palace and reach when I could. Growing up in South East my area was filled with Millwall and Charlton fans however my Grandad was a QPR fan (as is my dad) as they lived in Brixton. My dad never had time to take me to games unfortunately so I guess it was my aunt that threw me into the football world.

Haven't looked back since.

4 players mainly,

Kanchelskis

Giggs

Cantona

and Kinkladze

playing the game obviously, driving past maine Road on an almost daily basis, untill the North Stand was developed i thought the Kippax was as big as a stand could be,

supported both United and City equally till Cantona's return from his ban, then there was only one real choice, and plus i only really supported City coz my Mum did, and seeing as she never got round to taking me to Maine Road, but by this time i had already gone to OT a few times, my mind was made up,

tbh lost passion for the game during the dreaded "Transitional period" not because of the football being played or the lack of success, but due to the undeserved stick Ryan Giggs recieved,

stopped enjoying going to OT, and the nails were put into the coffin when The gimps took over,

however August 2005 brought the passion back, and every season since then its got stronger and stronger

As a United fan in London, I often have to tell this story.

United V Liverpool FA cup final '96 my dad had mates/uncles around to watch the match. My mum didnt want me in the room around the alcohol smoking and language so I had to stay in the kitchen with the women -___- I was dying to get in there and see wagwan. Eventually I snuck in somehow and as I did Eric Cantona scored that epic goal & my house ERUPTED. My family didn't support a team as such and my dad wasn't even into football, but I sensed that what I witnessed was a moment. As a 6 year old child it made a lasting impression & I pledged myself a United fan in the room that day. Went on to see games, buy kits, and follow the champions since.