THE WIRE VS. SOPRANOS

Thizz

Prob the most asked question regarding TV shows.

TBH I think it comes down to personal opinion, as they both superbly written, great stories, great characters. Hence why these two shows are always named as the best TV Shows ever.

I love both TBH and really cannot decide, all arguments for 1 or the other can counteracted in the same way.

Sopranos = More watchable i.e. I'll watch it and enjoy it over and over...but it's more like a soap

Wire = Better written, more subtle, but probably won't ever watch again.

Yeah very subtle, things happen but never mentioned again, like that dude going in Gay Bar. Never to be talked about ever.

/

" The Sopranos is Shakespeare, The Wire is d*ckens "

Sums it up TBH

• Downvote 1

I don’t mean as in the writing\story styles lol, just mean as in both are regarded as the best writers in history and very hard to say who is best.

\

Only thing you could POSSIBLY say, is that Sopranos was just any Goodfellas. Nothing new we hadn’t seen.

Not my views, as I believe it would have worked whatever Tony did.

The wire for me. Tony was so ket to the Soprano's series, whereas with the wire you had other characters who defined the show. There were some episodes in the wire where McNulty never featured in yet it still flowed, I don't think that there was an episode that Tony never featured in.

My only gripe with the wire though was that 5 seasons were not enough, where as Soprano's got pretty much 7 seasons.

Both are masterful but The Wire tips the scales with the huge scope and expanse of the show

The ambition in the story, the mad amount of characters, memorable and well crafted ones, the amount of real life in it. New way of storytelling in TV terms, there's never been a show quite like it.. which is true of Sopranos as well, but it was a smaller story, essentially about one man and his relationship with the world

Also I felt like the Sopranos sags a bit in later seasons with some unnecessary storylines/scenes, which seemed to jus pad out the episodes. It's still amazing TV but imo just short of the Wire in greatness stakes

Finished 2 Seasons of sopranos so the wire is taking it for me ATM...

but if i just compared s1 & s2 of both i dont know which would be leading, maybe sopranos...