THE WIRE VS. SOPRANOS

Thizz

the wire = indepth look into certain real aspects of socio economic issues caused by race/classism/poverty etc and the effects

sopranos= some decent written sh*t middle class white mafia who doesnt like black people acting like a don.

carries about as much weight as sons of anarchy, another stupid white tale of gangs running a town.

the wire's plot shows no one is invincible, unlike sporanos.

what are you on about,

how many characters from the start of season 1 survived till the end of the final season in Soprano's?

ignoring people within the actual crew

i'm thinking only Paulie and possibly Tony, everyone else got killed, went mad or flipped by the goverment,

it shows everyones mortality and weaknesses.

definitly doesnt promote Invincibility

Depends what you mean the end...do you mean the very last episode?

Anyway, you forgot Silvio, the lengman with the quiff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNgBf6VQbaY&feature=player_embedded

Here is another powerful whacking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92BiNmxWG58

• Upvote 1

Its easy to understand why season 2 is less liked than the others, it shifted from all this coverage of what's happening in the black community to what's happening at the docks. To remove or cut down heavily on a main theme like that is bound to get some negative reaction.

Anyway, I agree Season 1 and 4 were the best.

THE BLACK COMMUNITY WASN'T A MAIN THEME STILL.

What the writers say the show is about and what the theme is are two different things. The show may be about "the American city, and about how we live together. It's about how institutions have an effect on individuals. Whether one is a cop, a longshoreman, a drug dealer, a politician, a judge or a lawyer, all are ultimately compromised and must contend with whatever institution they are committed to" - but the main theme is obviously drugs.

We have obviously the drug dealers - the wars caused by territory in which to sell drugs, Bubbles who is addicted to drugs, the docks where the drugs are imported, the co-op established between dealers to bring down the price of drugs, the kids who get sucked into the drug trade, making drugs legal.

Its the one running theme throughout, so therefore would be the main theme of the series. You can't say the city is the main theme 'cause its the individual parts of it - that's a bunch of themes. You want a main theme and that is drugs.

A main focus would be the black community, the fact that most of the cast is black, the way you have it looking at black school kids and how they get pulled into the sh*t, you have Senator Davis preeching to the black community, you have Carcetti being shown the positive effects that Hamsterdam did in the black neighbourhoods.

Research is nothing without analysis, I look at what I've been shown and analyse that, it doesn't require research in order to understand what is being shown to me.

If I see things showing me one thing why wouldn't I make a post on that? About "look like a plum", we're talking about a TV series which comments on loads of different things, how are you gonna look like a plum on discussing what you took from it?

/

Its easy to understand why season 2 is less liked than the others, it shifted from all this coverage of what's happening in the black community to what's happening at the docks. To remove or cut down heavily on a main theme like that is bound to get some negative reaction.

Anyway, I agree Season 1 and 4 were the best.

ye the wires main theme was an urban american city not the black community

quoted the wrong person anyway, was supposed to do the one above

the black community is a main focus

the main theme is drugs, not 'an urban american city'

its not.

do ur research

how can tht be the main focus when every single season has a diff main focus.

have a word mate.

ur jus sayin tht cos thts maybe what U focus on. not sayin tht wasnt a big part of the show cos it was

this is why the show is lost on guys like u

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

DRUGS AND MONEY ARE NOT THE MAIN THEMES IN THE WIRE.

THINK LOADS OF PEOPLE HAVE WATCHED IT FOR THE WRONG REASONS.

THE WIRE WASN'T THE DESMONDS THIS WAS A PROGRAME ABOUT REALISIM, SOCIAL COMMENTARY ETC.

THEY COULD HAVE DONE THE WIRE ANYWHERE BUT WOULD YOU REALLY HAVE WANTED TO SEE IT SET IN A WHITE NEIGHBOURHOOD?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Guest WAVESURFER

The Wire is probably the greatest TV drama of all time.

It's so rich and well constructed, as well as being thoroughly entertaining.

You can see the different levels of enjoyment people get from it in the responses in this topic, with some people being into it on a more superficial level for the guns and drugs/ghetto sh*t, and others approaching it as more of a social study. It has such breadth of appeal.

It's untouchable imo.

• Upvote 1

the wire = indepth look into certain real aspects of socio economic issues caused by race/classism/poverty etc and the effects

sopranos= some decent written sh*t middle class white mafia who doesnt like black people acting like a don.

carries about as much weight as sons of anarchy, another stupid white tale of gangs running a town.

the wire's plot shows no one is invincible, unlike sporanos.

what are you on about,

how many characters from the start of season 1 survived till the end of the final season in Soprano's?

ignoring people within the actual crew

i'm thinking only Paulie and possibly Tony, everyone else got killed, went mad or flipped by the goverment,

it shows everyones mortality and weaknesses.

definitly doesnt promote Invincibility

Depends what you mean the end...do you mean the very last episode?

Anyway, you forgot Silvio, the lengman with the quiff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNgBf6VQbaY&feature=player_embedded

Here is another powerful whacking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92BiNmxWG58

didnt forget him, Just that the fact his in a coma and its said hi unlikely to come out of it, Kinda shows his vunerability aswell,

i stand by the fact that the only main member of the crew to survive were Paulie and possibly Tony

and even if he did Survive Tony's vunerabilty was there for everyone to see from episode 1,

after all the show is about a man going through a mid life crisis, suffering from depression and regular panic attacks, he just happens to be a mobstar,

Sopranos was more entertaining, The Wire was definitely a better TV show though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBG8JapD0GQ&feature=related

Who the f*ck are you? Ralph Bunch over here?

/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L0EmfrfFUo&feature=related

"Ohhh, I knew that was coming" "I seen a couple of niggers running that way" pmsl sorry but that whole scene was f*ck*ng funny

DRUGS AND MONEY ARE NOT THE MAIN THEMES IN THE WIRE.

THINK LOADS OF PEOPLE HAVE WATCHED IT FOR THE WRONG REASONS.

THE WIRE WASN'T THE DESMONDS THIS WAS A PROGRAME ABOUT REALISIM, SOCIAL COMMENTARY ETC.

THEY COULD HAVE DONE THE WIRE ANYWHERE BUT WOULD YOU REALLY HAVE WANTED TO SEE IT SET IN A WHITE NEIGHBOURHOOD?

dunno why ur shouting, but as much as i think dubby is a c*nt, hes right on this one.

the wire's main theme WAS about drugs. erm...THE WIRE? whats that all about eh?

it was however showing different plots AROUND the drug trade, and how budgeting, policing, and social economic policies affect a city ravaged with poverty.

everything about the policing was mainly centred around crime, mostly fuelled by the drugs trade.

but within the show were obvious subplots. but mainly focused on drugs and its consequences/effects on a city that doesnt have the financial/political will to fight it and the causes etc.

@ frank crying regarding sopranos, yes there was some level of realism, but not in the real world. its been widely laughed at by feds and other people in the game about how "sexy" its made to seem. sprinkled with some reality, but it was not cutting any american mafia image in reality, wether back in the 30's 40 etc, or todays modern mafia.

the wire was real ..that could be played out in any metropolitan city in the world.

• Downvote 2