Jack Wilshere

Guest luckstar

Wednesday, February 01, 2012...

Wilshere not ruled out for the season

The Club can confirm Jack Wilshere has a small stress fracture to his right foot, however it is not accurate to state he has been ruled out for the remainder of the season.

The injury is in a different area to his previous surgery, and it will be reassessed in around two weeks time by our medical team and medical experts who have worked together throughout Jack’s recovery.

This is a recognised complication of a complex rehabilitation process and, of critical importance, Jack’s initial injury is recovering well.

http://www.arsenal.c...-for-the-season

Monday, April 16, 2012...

Wilshere will not play this season

Arsène Wenger has ruled Jack Wilshere out of the rest of Arsenal's season and the European Championships this summer.

The midfielder has not played this term due to an ankle problem but had been hoping for a return late in the campaign. Unfortunately, that possibility ended after a discussion between the pair this week.

"Jack Wilshere will not play again this season and will not go to the European Championships. That is for sure," Wenger said after the defeat to Wigan on Monday.

http://www.arsenal.c...ay-at-euro-2012

WOULD YOU LIKE MORE?!

Maybe something changed in that 10 week period?

Clearly it did he had another (keyword another) setback, the point is that this has happened three times with three different players in three seasons... and with Wilshere its worse as unlike someone like Diaby who we have also been told unfulfilled return dates, Diaby has at least trained, played, then broken down again, trained, got injured again, etc... Wilshere has suffered all his setbacks before he has even kicked ball in a group training session and its gonna be 10 months soon, which kinda backs up the misdiagnosed/rushed (poor medical team) theory, rather than Diaby who is probably just a crock.

Last September, Arsenal announced Jack Wilshere would be out for four to five months. I immediately went on air and said he wouldn’t play again this season and he wouldn’t go to the Euros. Of course Gooners laughed, saying the Arsenal medical staff know more than me. It saddens me that I was totally right.

The timeline of Wilshere’s injury is shocking. At best, Wilshere has been spectacularly unlucky but you don’t need to be a cynic to start asking questions about how the injury was managed.

Last season, when he was still a teenager, Wilshere played 49 games for Arsenal and five for England. In that April, Wenger warned Capello publicly about “overloading” Wilshere. England played nine games that season; Jack missed four and played the full 90 minutes in only one international.

It wasn’t England who overloaded Jack Wilshere. Maybe Wenger’s current reluctance to use Alex Oxlade-chamberlain (at the same age Jack was that season) is his way of admitting he was the one guilty of asking too much of his star midfielder.

It’s true Wilshere suffered an injury against Switzerland in June 2011 while on England duty. That can happen in any game, for club or country. The big issue is how that injury was dealt with. Did the injury need urgent treatment after Wilshere went back to his club after the game? Probably. So why did Arsenal say he could go on holiday for a month?

At the end of the season, Wenger declared Wilshere was “in the red” because he’d played too many games. He said he did not agree with the FA’s decision to take Wilshere to the under-21 tournament with England. Wenger admitted Jack had been in the red “for a while now,” in short admitting he had played Jack too much. “He knows he is nearly at the end of his energy level,” said the manager.

Wenger sat down with the player and persuaded him not to join up with England. Stuart Pearce said: “Arsenal have not left him out of the side in the last 6 weeks of the season, even though the stats have said he is in the red zone.”

This is where I believe a second opinion on Wilshere’s fitness would have been crucial. If he had joined up with England and been checked by the England doctors, who knows what they would have found. Wilshere has not played a competitive game since.

At the end of July 2011, after coming back from a Far East tour with Arsenal, Wilshere limped off seven minutes into the friendly with New York Red Bulls at The Emirates. It was described by Wenger as “ankle inflammation” before adding: “It is not very serious but it is serious because they [the Arsenal medical staff] say he might be out for all next week. He has not torn anything. He is a quick healer and a tough boy.” He hasn’t kicked a ball in anger since.

Two days later Wilshere tweeted: “Ankle scan just showed some inflammation. Hopefully will settle in a few days.”

Arsenal kicked off their season at Newcastle without Wilshere. Two days earlier, Wenger revealed the player’s foot was in a boot: “It is difficult to set any specific date on his return but we hope he will be back soon.”

So, after the Red Bulls game Wenger was told it would be a week. Just under two weeks later he was told there was no specific date for his return. Wenger was then hopeful Wilshere could play a part in the second leg of the Champions League qualifier in Udinese: “[Jack] has trained Thursday, Friday and Saturday. He has a chance to play.”

Wenger also described Wilshere’s injury as “not serious”. (In the same press conference Wenger also said Abou Diaby’s injury was “slowly improving” and hoped to have him back by the end of September. In November, Diaby played five minutes against Dortmund and 21 minutes against Fulham but was then out again until March when he came on as sub at Liverpool, only to go off injured late in the game)

Wilshere never made the trip to Italy, instead suffering a setback in training. The following weekend, Arsenal were humiliated at Old Trafford. Fast forward to September. On the 8th Wenger said Wilshere would be in the boot for a month. On the 15th Wenger said he would be in the boot for six weeks.

On the 19th Wilshere tweeted: “Ankle feeling a lot better hope to be back playing soon.” Four days later Arsenal announced Wilshere will be out for four to five months following an operation on his ankle.

In January 2012 there were more positive noises out of Arsenal. On the 18th January it was reported Jack was due to return to full training and was keen to make the AC Milan Champions League tie in mid-February. The Arsenal medics forecast a March return but revised that, describing Wilshere as a “medical miracle” because of the speed of recovery.

The same medics reported the bone where the stress fracture had been was “clear, with little risk of related muscular problems.” It was also reported Wilshere had “been running and working tirelessly in the gym for some weeks.”

Arsenal said it would be two weeks before his conditioning work was done and he would be available for selection. So that new date for a return was early February.

Late in January Wilshere tweeted: “It is true I have had a setback I can’t tell you how long I have been set back because I don’t know! I am very annoyed but will stay strong.” Wenger added the setback was being investigated: “He has pain again when running. We stopped him right away.”

A few days later Wilshere tweeted: “I can confirm I have a stress fracture but it is not in the same area as my first injury which has healed which I am happy about. I have developed a stress fracture in the heel now and I don’t want to put any time scale on it as I do not know how long it will take.”

Arsenal said there was no reason why he wouldn’t return before May. But now we know Wilshere is out for the season, out of the Euros. Wenger’s also told the player to forget about the Olympics because it will “destroy” the start of his season.

There are so many inconsistencies between what Arsenal say as a club, and what the player seems to be told, like medical staff describing him as a “medical miracle” before he breaks down again and delays over surgery before a stress fracture is discovered. Did the scans miss that? Why did Wenger keep playing him when his fitness levels were in the red zone at the end of the 2010-11 season?

Why did Arsenal play a teenager in 49 games? Why did Arsenal send him on holiday instead of treating his injury from the Switzerland game? Look at the shambles of misinformation from the player, the manager and the club in September 2011 – that’s embarrassing.

Why allow Wilshere to be “running and working tirelessly in the gym” while recuperating from the first operation? Did that gym time bring on the heel injury?

Read all of this properly and ask yourself these questions: was the player managed properly and was the injury managed properly? If you somehow answer yes to both, then ask how Jack Wilshere has missed the whole season and the European Championship. If your answer is that he is unlucky, then you’d get a job in the Arsenal FC press office.

Ginger girl from TalkSport.

Team GB coach Stuart Pearce will continue to consider Jack Wilshere for this summer's Olympics.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger last week confirmed the midfielder would miss Euro 2012 after failing to recover from an ankle injury that has kept him out of the entire season.

It was also suggested Wilshere would not be available for the Olympics, which would have been a back-up option for the 20-year-old, who had previously admitted he would relish the chance to be involved.

However, Wilshere was in the 80-man provisional squad Stuart Pearce selected last week.

And the Great Britain coach has confirmed he will not rule anyone out until he is satisfied they cannot play, even if the odds on Wilshere making the final 18-man squad appear extremely remote.

"He is on the shortlist," said Pearce. "We will look at everyone individually and check their fitness and the medical people will speak with the clubs.

"We do have to be acutely aware that with an 18-man squad, and possibly six matches in 16 days, all the players are fully fit.

"You can't be losing two or three to injury, otherwise you will be on the back foot."

The news is bound to alarm Wenger who, like Sir Alex Ferguson, is not convinced by the merits of Olympic competition in the first place.

Ferguson has already spoken of the havoc that could be caused to Manchester United's pre-season preparation by a large number of British call-ups, in addition to David de Gea and Javier Hernandez, who will be playing for Spain and Mexico, respectively.

However, Pearce believes this attitude undermines the merits of a tournament which it is now known will pitch Britain into battle with Senegal, UAE and Uruguay following Tuesday's group stage draw at Wembley.

"I am acutely aware that club managers have a duty of care to their individual clubs," said Pearce.

"But once the tournament starts, excitement will be generated and people will see the greater good it will do for the individual players and the feel-good factor it brings.

"Plus we will be returning the players to their clubs before the season starts, so all they will be missing are pre-season friendlies.

"If I was a player, I would much prefer to be playing at Old Trafford, Wembley and the Millennium Stadium, competing for a medal and then going back to my club. The lift that would give me would be fantastic."

• 3 weeks later...
England international Jack Wilshere is continuing to recover very well from the injury to his right ankle which ruled him out of action for the 2011/12 season.

However, his ongoing rehabilitation has seen a long-standing slight issue with his patella tendon in his left knee flare up.

As a result, Jack will travel to Sweden for a minor procedure on his left knee in the next few days.This procedure is not expected to significantly affect Jack's comeback ahead of next season.

On returning to England, Jack will resume his rehabilitation with the Arsenal medical team over the summer.

Wilshere has successful minor knee procedure

Jack Wilshere has successfully undergone a minor procedure on his left knee as planned on Tuesday afternoon.

The 20 year-old midfielder had the procedure in Sweden and will continue his rehabilitation in the coming days back at Arsenal.

This procedure is not expected to significantly affect Jack's return date in the summer.