Barcelona vs Manchester United UCL Final 2011 Topic

Admin.

The Anderson gas is bordering delusional, sure he would of provided energy but disrupting Barcelona is equally as important as ball retention and usage. Both factors that would of left Anderson exposed.
Who's 'gassing' Anderson?No-one is calling him the world's best midfield enforcer, but for what was needed to NULLIFY Barcelona's midfield, he was the best option.How hard is it to comprehend that?
The Anderson gas is bordering delusional, sure he would of provided energy but disrupting Barcelona is equally as important as ball retention and usage. Both factors that would of left Anderson exposed.
FAIRBUT THE POINT IS GIGGS DID NOTHING, HE DID NOT PROVIDE ENERGY OR GOOD BALL RETENTION & USAGE, SO WHY NOT GIVE ANDERSON A CHANCE TOO? WHEN WE DEFINITELY KNOW HE PROVIDES GOOD ENERGY, DISRUPTING AND THERES QUESTIONS OVER HES BALL RETENTION, USAGEWHY NOT GIVE HIM THE CHANCE TOO WHEN THINGS WERE DEFINITELY GOING WRONG..
The fundamental thing is that you where playing Barcelona. How easy do you think it is to disrupt these guys when there playing on form. Taking off Giggs would have left United with a tired Park and Anderson playing, now again i'm going back to what happens after you get the ball. Park has decent ball usage at times but again your playing against Barcalona and decent isn't going to be enough. Like we agreed Anderson's usage and retention is suspect, of course Anderson would of offered that get in your face aspect but equally Valencia was trying that same tactic. Which resulted in giving away a foul and Barcelona continuing exactly where they picked off. Its not like it takes Barcelona time to get back into the flow (which is not like Arsenal and which is why disrupting Arsenal playing and disrupting Barca is a next ting). This is why (No Portuguese)I'm sure Real play the way they do against Barcelona, with the constant diving, taking Messi out impact, aggregating Busquets and being general cunts etc. Anyway so with Anderson and park chasing that leaves Carrick as the only man capable of proficient distribution purpose. With Barcelona only having to worry about Carrick being on the ball they would have adapted that and just assimilated you. Its obvious Fergie left Giggs in the HOPE of him conjuring something up, his decision making etc. Which says alot about Fergie's plan B, as in there was none.I think beating Barcelona means having more than just the energetic ball winning players with little else to their game. That may work when your playing Arsenal but not Barcelona. Your only real hope of beating Barcelona with Barcelona beating themselves like that did against us when the took Villa off or them having a off day and you being tactically on point.Anderson starting or coming on at 60 wouldn't have changed the outcome, you would have gained an aspect you needed and lost another you require. you wouldn't have really of gained anything.

Funny you mention Real Madrid.Because when they played Barcelona in the CDR final & won, this was their midfield 3.tWcl4.jpgNow, bar Xavi Alonso, do you want to sit there & argue that Pepe's & Khedira's ball retention abilities are better than that of Anderson's? Because the 2 Madrid midfielders mentioned had Xavi & Iniesta on LOCK that game.

Tactically, they sprung a slight surprise by pressing Barcelona in the midfield zone early on. Pepe, superb in his holding midfield position at the weekend, swapped roles with Xabi Alonso – so whilst Alonso sat between the lines in a 4-1-4-1 system, Pepe used his energy and strength higher up the pitch, particularly against Xavi Hernandez.This worked very well for Real. Barcelona’s passing was very poor in the first period, and they missed having Xavi constantly free in space to dictate play. They attempted to get out of the press by dropping Busquets into the defence at times and switching to 3-4-3, but they encountered the same problem – they couldn’t get the ball forward to their attacking trio, and Lionel Messi moved deeper and deeper to pick up the ball, making him less of a goal threat.
This was the starting line-up against Barcelona in the 1-1 draw prior to that final.fsSW9.jpgBarcelona encountered the same problems they did in that CDR final.Now, with this in mind & with personnel that quitely frankly are capable of doing a job, why do you not go with Anderson, O'Shea or Park in the middle? I've seen Frank Lampard play f*ck*ng LM for Chelsea against Barcelona & he did a job, so don't tell me the United players I mentioned can't hold it up.
  • Upvote 1

Who's 'gassing' Anderson?No-one is calling him the world's best midfield enforcer, but for what was needed to NULLIFY Barcelona's midfield, he was the best option.How hard is it to comprehend that?
FAIRBUT THE POINT IS GIGGS DID NOTHING, HE DID NOT PROVIDE ENERGY OR GOOD BALL RETENTION & USAGE, SO WHY NOT GIVE ANDERSON A CHANCE TOO? WHEN WE DEFINITELY KNOW HE PROVIDES GOOD ENERGY, DISRUPTING AND THERES QUESTIONS OVER HES BALL RETENTION, USAGEWHY NOT GIVE HIM THE CHANCE TOO WHEN THINGS WERE DEFINITELY GOING WRONG..
The fundamental thing is that you where playing Barcelona. How easy do you think it is to disrupt these guys when there playing on form. Taking off Giggs would have left United with a tired Park and Anderson playing, now again i'm going back to what happens after you get the ball. Park has decent ball usage at times but again your playing against Barcalona and decent isn't going to be enough. Like we agreed Anderson's usage and retention is suspect, of course Anderson would of offered that get in your face aspect but equally Valencia was trying that same tactic. Which resulted in giving away a foul and Barcelona continuing exactly where they picked off. Its not like it takes Barcelona time to get back into the flow (which is not like Arsenal and which is why disrupting Arsenal playing and disrupting Barca is a next ting). This is why (No Portuguese)I'm sure Real play the way they do against Barcelona, with the constant diving, taking Messi out impact, aggregating Busquets and being general cunts etc. Anyway so with Anderson and park chasing that leaves Carrick as the only man capable of proficient distribution purpose. With Barcelona only having to worry about Carrick being on the ball they would have adapted that and just assimilated you. Its obvious Fergie left Giggs in the HOPE of him conjuring something up, his decision making etc. Which says alot about Fergie's plan B, as in there was none.I think beating Barcelona means having more than just the energetic ball winning players with little else to their game. That may work when your playing Arsenal but not Barcelona. Your only real hope of beating Barcelona with Barcelona beating themselves like that did against us when the took Villa off or them having a off day and you being tactically on point.Anderson starting or coming on at 60 wouldn't have changed the outcome, you would have gained an aspect you needed and lost another you require. you wouldn't have really of gained anything.
You are heavily underestimating Anderson here mate, how dare he say Park has decent ball retention and usage where as Andersons is suspect :D . He started the other final you know.. He would of offered that aggressive get in your face mentality that Giggs lacked, he would of offered that all over the pitch energy that GIggs lacked, and who knows what he would of offered offensively? One things for sure he has the ability to use hes pace and carry the ball past the Barca midfield who are all way slower than he is. But we are not discussing that point here, our original point was with it so blatant that our midfield wasn't working, why wasn't he given the chance too?!?!?!? As for the rest of your post, you'd be correct if various other lesser teams hadn't beaten them this season with lesser players than Anderson in their side mate.Edit/ Thanks Mike

f*ck your essays...You can make out like you should be Fergies personal tactical assistant all you like.The fact is 9 times outta 10 this Barca team would batter Man.Ure.
next person that makes such a stupid post is getting bannedYour not even disagreeing with what were saying? just chatting sh*t because we have a view? a view that is a million times more insightful & more detailed than yoursf*ck off u prick
Feelings caught. Lmao. Continue.

Why are people saying we dont have the personnel to beat Barcelona?? How many different teams have beat them this year?
its a one of game broobviously they can and have been beaten, we beat them ffsbut generally speakin if they dont have a real off dayu can put any 3 midfielders in ur squad in tht central area and they will tear u apartfrom when its giggs nd carrick plus 1 ur strugglingu got away with it against chelsea nd schalkebut barca are the best players in the world and there all peaking, theres no shamedont gass anderson its unlikely he would of made a significant difference, not from the start anywayhargreaves in his prime nd fully fit fletcher would of been interesting, but thts hindsight/fantasy
dont quote me again please, i dont type for you to read past what i say and then you say the same thingsignore me
good suggestionsill leave u to keep dreamin how ando would of had u lifting the trophy on sat
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

777 - Total number of passes that Barcelona made in the final, more than double Manchester United's 357. Barca had 69% of overall ball possession.148 - Passes that Spanish midfielder Xavi completed during the game, a high for the Champions League this season. He misplaced only seven, giving him a completion rate of 95%.90 - Percentage of passes completed by the Barcelona team. United's was 80%.60 - Passes between Xavi and Andres Iniesta, the most common pass journey on the pitch. United's most frequent combination was between defender Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic (16).55 - Number of times Xavi and Iniesta passed to Messi.18 - Passes made by Barcelona keeper Victor Valdes - two more than Manchester United striker Javier Hernandez.16 - Times United fouled Barcelona's players. Barcelona did likewise to their opponents on only five occasions.15 - Dribbles by Messi, of which 10 were successful. Wayne Rooney was the next most frequent dribbler with six.12 - Shots on target by Barcelona. Messi and Iniesta had three of these each.11.95 - According to Uefa, distance in kilometres covered by Xavi, the highest in the Barcelona team. Ryan Giggs covered the greatest distance by a United player (11.16km).1 - Number of shots that Manchester United had on target. This was Rooney's 34th-minute goal.

Love the debate in hereStraw clutching in regards to Anderson doing anything, the Barca midfield wuda been too quick for him, he wudnt have been comfortable recieveing the ball facing his own goal, wuda wasted possession, got the ball pinched and got subbed off... only way he wuda done anything was if he played higher up in the hole, where he had more licese to roam n attack / driveNext time they need a DM to sit, then play Carrick n who eva-------DM-------Carrick----Giggs

You are heavily underestimating Anderson here mate, how dare he say Park has decent ball retention and usage where as Andersons is suspect :D . He started the other final you know.. He would of offered that aggressive get in your face mentality that Giggs lacked, he would of offered that all over the pitch energy that GIggs lacked, and who knows what he would of offered offensively? One things for sure he has the ability to use hes pace and carry the ball past the Barca midfield who are all way slower than he is. But we are not discussing that point here, our original point was with it so blatant that our midfield wasn't working, why wasn't he given the chance too?!?!?!? As for the rest of your post, you'd be correct if various other lesser teams hadn't beaten them this season with lesser players than Anderson in their side mate.Edit/ Thanks Mike
I say decent in the term of Park being better with the ball than Anderson. Yes I remember Anderson started in the last final against Barcelona and I remember him chasing shadows to no avail. Now your up against a Barcelona team that was better than the one you lost too previously.Anderson wouldn't of been carrying nothing, he would of came on chasing shadows. For what Anderson would of offered in energy and drive you would of lost any air of being able to be clinical and decisive. Winning the ball and then being wasteful against Barcelona isn't useful. Fergie IMO thought United would get a few more chances in the game and following that he'd rather have Giggs involved in those chances than Anderson, obviously that's not the way things worked out. The thing about Barcelona is they adapt their style to their opponents in terms on tempo. Anderson coming on would of just mean they would have sped things up. This was proven by how at 3-1 the pretty much brought the game to a halt, they didn't really try and attack. Anderson would of been scratching his head after 15 minutes chasing cars.I'm not underestimating Anderson, I know what he offers but trying to pin anything about Anderson being the difference is reaching at its best.Anderson on or off the pitch you still would have lost and isn't that what essentially counts at the end of the day?I didn't declare Barcelona unbeatable, but I haven't saw a game yet where the where outclassed. I mean can you name some games where they lost and didn't beat themselves, where they played on their form and lost. Thats what I mean when I said if Barcelona turn up your chances of beating them where extremely slim./@ MKSo you have Anderson playing Pepe's role. Well in theory I suppose that could work their similar players. Although Pepe actually is a defensive minded player while I'm not even too sure what Anderson's mentality is. Pepe naturally is going to be better at the defensive qualities such as marking, not being dragged out of position, clever fouls etc. While Anderson could be instructed to play such a role could he do this as naturally, as efficient, with such concentration.Its all good impersonating a system but player abilities are just as important. Xabi Alonso is leagues above Carrick in pretty much every department. Nani and Valencia in comparison to Ronaldo and Di Maria/Ozil.Rooney wouldn't be comfortable or even a threat playing the central striking role, hes way too much on this dropping deep playmaker role now. As soon as this system would of gone bad, there would of been calls for Chica playing infront on Rooney, Questions of Anderson starting etc etc
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Guest Portuguese
I say decent in the term of Park being better with the ball than Anderson. Yes I remember Anderson started in the last final against Barcelona and I remember him chasing shadows to no avail. Now your up against a Barcelona team that was better than the one you lost too previously.Anderson wouldn't of been carrying nothing, he would of came on chasing shadows. For what Anderson would of offered in energy and drive you would of lost any air of being able to be clinical and decisive. Winning the ball and then being wasteful against Barcelona isn't useful. Fergie IMO thought United would get a few more chances in the game and following that he'd rather have Giggs involved in those chances than Anderson, obviously that's not the way things worked out. The thing about Barcelona is they adapt their style to their opponents in terms on tempo. Anderson coming on would of just mean they would have sped things up. This was proven by how at 3-1 the pretty much brought the game to a halt, they didn't really try and attack. Anderson would of been scratching his head after 15 minutes chasing cars.I'm not underestimating Anderson, I know what he offers but trying to pin anything about Anderson being the difference is reaching at its best.Anderson on or off the pitch you still would have lost and isn't that what essentially counts at the end of the day?I didn't declare Barcelona unbeatable, but I haven't saw a game yet where the where outclassed. I mean can you name some games where they lost and didn't beat themselves, where they played on their form and lost. Thats what I mean when I said if Barcelona turn up your chances of beating them where extremely slim./@ MKSo you have Anderson playing Pepe's role. Well in theory I suppose that could work their similar players. Although Pepe actually is a defensive minded player while I'm not even too sure what Anderson's mentality is. Pepe naturally is going to be better at the defensive qualities such as marking, not being dragged out of position, clever fouls etc. While Anderson could be instructed to play such a role could he do this as naturally, as efficient, with such concentration.Its all good impersonating a system but player abilities are just as important. Xabi Alonso is leagues above Carrick in pretty much every department. Nani and Valencia in comparison to Ronaldo and Di Maria/Ozil.Rooney wouldn't be comfortable or even a threat playing the central striking role, hes way too much on this dropping deep playmaker role now. As soon as this system would of gone bad, there would of been calls for Chica playing infront on Rooney, Questions of Anderson starting etc etc
C/S+1

Guest Portuguese

Two things I am still confused about.Why was Busquets allowed the freedom of Wembley? Rooney should of been onto Busquets like Park was onto Pirlo last season.Ferdinand/Vidic done the same thing they did in Rome(had nobody to mark instead of venturing into midfield they decide to drop so deep hence Villa and Messi's goals)I can only recall once when Vidic stepped into midfield and he got left for dead by Messi

Guest Portuguese
big game.I've said it before but tactically Ferguson gets found wanting, he had no clue what to do when sitting back and hoping to get the odd chance didn't work.Playing Barca with a midfield that is short on legs is a fail from the start. I was intrigued at 2-1 to see what he would try tactically to change the game but he just chewed on the wrigleys like the answer was in the gum.Shout out to Masch, I still love the guy and hold no hard feelings towards him for leaving.
SAF is a great manager without a doubt but as a coach he is inept tactically especially outside England.I argue there is only about five managers currently coaching now are tactically great.As for Mascherano I realized the guy wasn't playing as a traditional CB he played as an extra DM which allowed Busquets so much room so I take back what I said about Rooney in the earlier postPep is really a pupil of Cruyff.As for Barcelona being the greatest team ever? Until they win back to back UCL's and which will lead to the chance to win back to back World Club Championships then we will be able to put them in that categoryI hope Santos wins the Copa Lib and get to face Barca in December if Ganso+Neymar are not sold they will beat Barca!

They should have started with this line up -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Van Der Sar--------------------------------------------------Fabio-----------------------------------------------------------------------Ferdinand--------------------------Vidic------------------------------------Evra---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Smalling----------------------------------------------------Valencia--------------------------------------------------------------------------Carrick----------------------Anderson---------------------------------Nani---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rooney--------------------------------------------------------