Windows 8

jcee

Your desktop apps won't be going away, of course. If you're running Windows 8 on a desktop PC, you can head into the familiar Windows desktop and run your usual apps in windowed mode. It's a bit unclear exactly how this will work, and this is a pretty early look at the OS, so things could change, too. But, as Microsoft's Director of Program Management mentions in the above video, you'll be able to use Windows 8 across all machines, desktop, laptop, and tablet.

You can go back to the old desktop if you don't like it, good stuff.

oh sh*t its on ms' actual account, thought it was a fan thing before I watched.

this is what I was saying they need for tablets, apart from running actual programs cos the buttons are still small

ill wait to see how it runs with keyboard & mouse

basically

tablet sales are eating into pc sales

microsoft are worried that the ipad and other android tablets are gonna make microsoft and windows irrelevant to the casual computer user

so they have come with this

looks pretty good and a smart move

yea thats all good, but theres no point running actual windows programs cos of the small buttons n navigation is optimised for mouse use

and battery life aswell, that Acer dual screen ting with windows 7 gets a max of 2 hours I read somewhere, dnt even think it was intensive use

need something light, they added ARM support in windows 8 so theyre deffo goin for the tablet market

and youd also have to turn it on and off to save battery, that whole windows loading thing is long.

unless they did something magical thatll give it huge battery life