Cambridge? Nah G , manna on dis music ting still

JOHN DOE

Cambridge? No thanks, it hasn't got a music scene: What 17-year-old rapper told top university bosses

(although LSE will do)

article-2003581-0C8DCB7200000578-330_233x559.jpg

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2003581/Cambridge-No-thanks-got-music-scene-What-17-year-old-rapper-told-university-bosses.html#ixzz1QChk6eNH

A rapper who grew up in one of London's toughest estates has turned down a place at Cambridge University because he says the historic city 'has no music scene'.

Franklyn Addo, 17, who grew up on an estate in Hackney, East London, made the comment after rejecting the chance to study Politics, Psychology and Sociology at the university.

Franklyn, who started performing as MC Franklyn three years ago, also admitted people are 'surprised' he is a rap academic.

He said: 'I know some people will be surprised that I am a rapper and academic, but for me it is all one.

'A lot of people I went to school with didn't go to college and some people from my school year are now coming out of prison for things like robbery and stabbings.

'You have to just keep your head down. Anyone can do it. There is a lot of focus on gun activity in the media but I try to show something positive.

'I didn't want to make a big deal about getting an offer from Cambridge, but I am pleased to be an encouragement to people. I am just a normal kid.

'I love London so much I don't want to leave. I prefer the modern buildings rather than the old cathedral-style ones in Cambridge.

'Also would have been harder to carry on doing music if I was in Cambridge and there isn't much of a scene there - I only know one rapper.'

'I am passionate about young people and I want to make a difference and change the way Hackney people think.'

Franklyn, from the Pembury Estate in Hackney started rapping while studying at Cardinal Pole Catholic School.

He now works with 2009 MOBO Award winning producer Victizzle and released his first mix tape 'Just Being Frank' last month.

Franklyn achieved 100 per cent in his AS sociology exams and is currently sitting A levels in Sociology, English Literature and Business at Woodhouse College in Barnet, London.

Cambridge University offered him a place but he opted instead to read Sociology at the London School of Economics.

He added: 'A lot of my inspiration for my music comes from literature or I might think something we do in sociology class might be relevant to people so I write a song about it.

'One of my songs is called William Wordsworth and I rap about how similar rap is to poetry. I love literature. I read lots of Shakespeare and I bought some d*ckens last week.

'Doing well is about discipline. It is hard doing music and A levels, I have sacrificed sleep. I study all day and then in the evening I go and work on music in the studio.

'I started making music because I wanted to motivate people to do something with their lives.

'I am passionate about young people and I want to make a difference and change the way Hackney people think.

'I was accepted into all of my universities. Cambridge was my second choice. I chose LSE because the syllabus looks more interesting.'

Franklyn's mother Gloria said: 'Franklyn has always been setting standards in education and entertainment so nothing less was expected from him.'

MC Franklyn has an album coming out this summer and starts at LSE in September.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2003581/Cambridge-No-thanks-got-music-scene-What-17-year-old-rapper-told-university-bosses.html#ixzz1QChzPMmT

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2003581/Cambridge-No-thanks-got-music-scene-What-17-year-old-rapper-told-university-bosses.html#ixzz1QChdZNYX

guy will prob do well regardless but if i had the opportunity to go cambridge fack wouldve snapped that up in a sec.

/

dont u have to go through a different application process to apply for oxbridge as well

• Downvote 2

Can't really see the hype.. It won't be the UNI which gets him a decent job when he leaves, it will be himself.. couldn't imagine spending years around the 'type' of people i can imagine that go to cambridge..would be uncomfortable.

soo if they see Cambridge on his CV

they aint gonna be on more?

shut up

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

Can't really see the hype.. It won't be the UNI which gets him a decent job when he leaves, it will be himself.. couldn't imagine spending years around the 'type' of people i can imagine that go to cambridge..would be uncomfortable.

soo if they see Cambridge on his CV

they aint gonna be on more?

shut up

why you talking like he's going to go to some budget UNI instead?...good results at any top 10 UNI will spark attention/interest..the rest is how you present yourself at interviews etc.