'News of The World' scrapped - News Corp withdraws bid for BSkyB

Francis Coquelin

lolwut? i don't even read tabloids, and i base my assessment on the fact that these latest 'shocking revelations' have emerged at a time when the acquisition of bskyb by murdoch is almost cemented, i'm not 'painting all journalists with the same brush' it's the editors that i have a problem with. and as for 'how is this any different to what the guardian normally report" i don't think i have to answer that, it's fairly obvious isn't it? if u want to believe that all this has come to light because of the actions of a brave minority who nobly risked their careers to rid the media industry of its endemic corruption then that's cool, but i'm too cynical for that.

:mellow:

They've been writing this story for 2 years, it wasn't just a case of being tipped off and there's all the information. Editors are journalists, I'd be surprised if you could get elevated to the position of editor without having been a columnist first.

How is it any different from the type of stories they normally write, them being on a moral crusade is a line regularly thrown at them.

lolwut? i don't even read tabloids, and i base my assessment on the fact that these latest 'shocking revelations' have emerged at a time when the acquisition of bskyb by murdoch is almost cemented, i'm not 'painting all journalists with the same brush' it's the editors that i have a problem with. and as for 'how is this any different to what the guardian normally report" i don't think i have to answer that, it's fairly obvious isn't it? if u want to believe that all this has come to light because of the actions of a brave minority who nobly risked their careers to rid the media industry of its endemic corruption then that's cool, but i'm too cynical for that.

They've been writing this story for 2 years, it wasn't just a case of being tipped off and there's all the information. Editors are journalists, I'd be surprised if you could get elevated to the position of editor without having been a columnist first.

How is it any different from the type of stories they normally write, them being on a moral crusade is a line regularly thrown at them.

They published the most damaging allegations in the week that Murdoch was about to be given the go ahead to purchase the rest of BSkyB. Coincidence?

i didn't agree with the overblown bit, and i'm 100% behind all of this but really it once again boils down to the mainstream media generating outrage from the public to suit their own motives. the guardian aren't on a moral crusade for the victims of the phone "scandals", they're pushing their own agenda thru the angry masses.

'They're pushing their own agenda through the masses', based on what? How does this story deviate from the type of news the Guardian normally report?

The fact you paint all journalists with the same brush is testament to how damaging the tabloids have been over the past few decades. There are journalists who got into the business for the purpose of doing real investigative journalism to report on news that has substance and actually matters.

Most of the journalists working at The Grauniad haven't yet matured from their idealistic critical theorist student politics days.

Tabloids are not all bad, the UK would be poorer without them.

The NotW did a lot of "real investigative journalism to report on news that has substance and actually matters". I would even argue that despite their prurience, the NotW exposed a lot more dodgy characters than the guardian or any other broadsheet did, despite how perniciously corrupt the newspaper was.

• Downvote 1

They published the most damaging allegations in the week that Murdoch was about to be given the go ahead to purchase the rest of BSkyB. Coincidence?

Probably not a coincidence but it doesn't make their reasons for running this story any less valid, if anything it validates them even more.

The prospect of Murdoch becoming even more powerful in this country with the purchase of BSkyB will undoubtedly have lit a flame under the ass off anyone who's opposed to his media empire exerting too much influence but it doesn't invalidate a moral standpoint being at the root of their motives.

The fact is the claims made by the Guardian against NI are true and even their staunchest defenders can't honestly say that the information that's come out isn't relevant to their prospective takeover of BSkyB.

Probably not a coincidence but it doesn't make their reasons for running this story any less valid, if anything it validates them even more.

The prospect of Murdoch becoming even more powerful in this country with the purchase of BSkyB will undoubtedly have lit a flame under the ass off anyone who's opposed to his media empire exerting too much influence but it doesn't invalidate a moral standpoint being at the root of their motives.

The fact is the claims made by the Guardian against NI are true and even their staunchest defenders can't honestly say that the information that's come out isn't relevant to their prospective takeover of BSkyB.

Perhaps, but I don't see how they can exert any more political influence through owning entertainment channels, they will have to discard sky news if the deal goes ahead.

i didn't agree with the overblown bit, and i'm 100% behind all of this but really it once again boils down to the mainstream media generating outrage from the public to suit their own motives. the guardian aren't on a moral crusade for the victims of the phone "scandals", they're pushing their own agenda thru the angry masses.

'They're pushing their own agenda through the masses', based on what? How does this story deviate from the type of news the Guardian normally report?

The fact you paint all journalists with the same brush is testament to how damaging the tabloids have been over the past few decades. There are journalists who got into the business for the purpose of doing real investigative journalism to report on news that has substance and actually matters.

Most of the journalists working at The Grauniad haven't yet matured from their idealistic critical theorist student politics days.

Tabloids are not all bad, the UK would be poorer without them.

The NotW did a lot of "real investigative journalism to report on news that has substance and actually matters". I would even argue that despite their prurience, the NotW exposed a lot more dodgy characters than the guardian or any other broadsheet did, despite how perniciously corrupt the newspaper was.

The tabloids in their current state do more harm than good, the angle pushed by Murdoch that people who feel that way have an elitist mentality towards the public being knowledgeable about what's going on is bollocks.

If the tabloids informed I wouldn't have a problem with them but far too much of what they write paints a partial picture of situations with the intention of sensationalising stories for the sake of selling papers or pushing their agendas.

Self regulation by the PPC is a joke as well, allowing tabloids to publish a 4 page spread on an unsubstantiated story knowing they only have to dedicate a 2 paragraph apology hidden in a corner somewhere validates the type of bullshit printed.

They did 2 investigations into this and came up with nothing. The tabloids need to be regulated, giving the most widely read publications in the country free reign to write what they want whether true or not is lunacy.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

facepalm.gif

you are saying tabloids are not that bad and have done a good job generally. You dont deserve to ever comment again after that stupid statement

When did i say they did a good job generally? if anything you should have concluded from what I wrote that I have a neutral position on Tabloids, dicckheeadd.

"tabloids are not all bad....did a lot of good investigative work (which is undeniable: Cricket match fixing, FIFA Corruption for instance)" when did that turn into a glowing appraisal of Tabloid newspapers?

OK SO THEY ARE GOOD AT SPORTS AND SETTING PEOPLE UP...you also said the whole situation was overblown. HOW is it overblown to hack into dead people's phones? thhe same paper that was hounding muslims for disrespecting british soilders our apparent HEROES for killing afpakis who never did anything to us, they are tapping into the phones of these dead soilders families to get an inside scoop on info. THAT IS OVER BLOWN?

• Upvote 3

OK SO THEY ARE GOOD AT SPORTS AND SETTING PEOPLE UP...you also said the whole situation was overblown. HOW is it overblown to hack into dead people's phones? thhe same paper that was hounding muslims for disrespecting british soilders our apparent HEROES for killing afpakis who never did anything to us, they are tapping into the phones of these dead soilders families to get an inside scoop on info. THAT IS OVER BLOWN?

It's quite tiresome, this back 'n' forth, having to explain myself. Obviously I am not excusing what the NOTW did, I'm outraged, disgusted, angry etc., etc. I used the word overblown, because, newspapers use of illicit means to gain information, and their collusion with the police, has been going on for time immemorial.

Furthermore the I feel the synthetic indignation exhibited by the public will probably be forgotten soon, and I also feel that the public still have an insatiable lust for the type of scandals published by the NOTW, despite the the current outrage over this scandal.

Why doesn't the Great British Public get this indignant about the War in Afghanistan, how have they gotten more angry about over-zealous journalists than the politicians who actually insist on sending our young men to die in a fruitless and un-winnable war.

During this past week (in the background of the obviously more important phone-hacking scandal) we have also learned that a famine is enveloping East Africa...

''Don't worry over-much about the journalists who've lost their jobs on the News of the World - I read somewhere that the unemployed live the life of Reilly, thousands of pounds in benefits, free houses, work on the side.........''

- George Galloway MP

loooool

georgie boy>>>>>>>

• Downvote 2

Nuts the way the police, the independent police complaints commission, our government and obviously our media were about to be brought to their knees through this whole thing.

Like literally a bomb was about to explode.

Instead they just said f*ck it let's wrap up this whole thing close it down, burn the f*ck*ng building, get rid of any evidence and let's start again fresh.

Basically what any trapstar or your favourite mafioso would've done if things started to get a lil bit heated.

Cut your losses and bounce.

So close though!

• Upvote 2