ASAP Rocky

Flojo

I'm telling you there are Harlem niggas right now questioning how come they dont know him, his face, and can't pin down his block, or nothing.

While man will tell you The Diplomats was never streets guys everybody will say before rap, they knew all of them and there faces. Same with Vado, Jae Millz, etc...

ok possibly get what you (or your niggas) mean/meant

Flamboyance is a Harlem tradition, particularly in the world of Cam’ron (and his crew, the Diplomats), who ASAP Rocky grew up admiring. Born Rakim Mayers — named after the iconic rapper of the late 1980s — ASAP Rocky grew up primarily in Harlem. When he was 12 his father went to jail in connection with selling drugs. A year later an older brother he looked up to was killed in Harlem. For a time he lived in a shelter with his mother. A couple of years ago he moved both of them to Elmwood Park, N.J. “I needed peace of mind to be creative, I needed peace of mind because I was getting street money and I didn’t want anybody trying to stick my family up,” he said.

He still returns to Harlem regularly, though, and he is still a New York rapper, albeit a new breed. Classic New York formalism, the style practically invented by ASAP Rocky’s namesake, is a dying language, on the verge of extinction. Given that, it makes sense that the next New York rapper to experience widespread success would leave that sound behind.

but theres like 7 of them.. they ALL from Harlem.. and been involved in street shit, sooo...

you think its a conspiracy?

I ain't arguing I dunno his life story, Im just telling you what I'm hearing from man who literally stay on corners every day of their life and talk to literally everybody, and they saying they dont know them, and that is very suspect and when they are actively saying they gonna start asking who knows him and pin him down then its lmao.

Jim Jones didnt even know who Vado was until he popped up with Killa, which tells you a lot about Jim, getting behind Jim makes it seem even more like you aint from Harlem tbh lol.

and meh at Info she dont know anyone until there name ringing and she suddenly becomes their best friend of years...

Harlem ain't really got anything new, so techinically these man should be heralding, but they questioning.

& Haze shot a video thru some of the BAITEST parts of Harlem, but he aint from there.

Infact SNM, lets see how this develops.

some of the NYC centric forums i read have said the same thing

no-one is really trying to claim him yet till they get the 411

music wise he's never gonna go down well there anyways because a) he's not lyrical and B) it doesnt sound very NYC, it's the total opposite if we're honest

hope it sorts itself out though, want the youngsters to take over

Guest PROFIT MARGINS

I ain't arguing I dunno his life story, Im just telling you what I'm hearing from man who literally stay on corners every day of their life and talk to literally everybody, and they saying they dont know them, and that is very suspect and when they are actively saying they gonna start asking who knows him and pin him down then its lmao.

Jim Jones didnt even know who Vado was until he popped up with Killa, which tells you a lot about Jim, getting behind Jim makes it seem even more like you aint from Harlem tbh lol.

and meh at Info she dont know anyone until there name ringing and she suddenly becomes their best friend of years...

Harlem ain't really got anything new, so techinically these man should be heralding, but they questioning.

& Haze shot a video thru some of the BAITEST parts of Harlem, but he aint from there.

Infact SNM, lets see how this develops.

What the fuck do they mean they int heard of him?

He ain't claiming he's a gangster or anything so y would they of heard of him? It's like u saying I ain't from north just cos rephan don't know who I am but that don't mean I'm not from north...all rocky is saying is that's where he is from not that he is an og so I don't really see what the problem is guy openly says he's not any sort of gang banger etc

Don't get the problem...he can't claim where he lives but next guys can claim bloods and crips

Seen

Your geting it twisted.

When someone pops in America, infact anywhere tbh, people will generally want to know him, whatever... So imagine when man in Harlem are hearing a rapper from Harlem just got signed for 3m and has a growing buzz...

Then imagine they see the dudes video and are like I dunno him, you know him? Everyone got blank faces.....

Harlem is kinda just a hill. Jim Jones was from the bottom which is why he claims "Eastside", but he was between homes with his gran (I think) who was near to Cam, Cam was from on the way up the hill, and Juelz was just near the top of the hill, and then your at Sugar Hill. Diplomats mixtape hustle, well any hustle from Harlem is so strong as it literally goes up and down the hill and then on to the neighbouring districts. Man will go up and down the hill all day, so when said man are asking people from all over about them and nobody saying yeah I know him people are like WTF, and they aint asking on no does he let his gun ring shit, they just want someone to say "yeah he use to play ball over there and get his hair cut there, you know him, you've seen him but he's just was a quiet yute" etc... but nobody is even saying that. Thats what I mean by pin down.

If you popped on a rapping ting, Rephan would know where you from still... Cos he'd ask about, that guy use to find everyone. Rephan probably took Benny Banks to his first studio and can pin him down to his exact ends in North, something a lot of people listening to his music couldnt do yet probably

DX: There's been a lot of press about you being from Harlem and your sound not really sounding like New York Rap, but do you think that your sound is really sort of a bigger answer, that it's indicative of Rap not really being regional any more, and that the whole idea of emulating a particular sound is gone, or at least that its days are numbered?

ASAP Rocky: Yo, you just answered like the whole question. Correct 100%. Yup. Definitely. It's like it doesn't matter where you're from. I mean, look at it like this: The Spice Girls, when you hear them singing, you don't hear the British accents. They sound like Americans in my opinion, and it didn't matter that they were from Europe or London or whatever the case is. They were making great music and they were big in America, so I don't understand why America's so biased when it comes to states, like the regions. They expect you to sound like where you were born from. I think you should sound like what you were accustomed to, you know? That's all it is.

Guest PROFIT MARGINS

Oh ok u mean literally no one ever even seen him walk on the hill let alone do dirt but surely someone must be able to vouch for someone in that ASAP camp they are clearly in

And what about smoke dza ain't he cosigning?

Tbh I'm a bad example cos I use too work for sincere when I was a younger so I'm sure ur right about rephan

Sorry u saying rephan took Benny to his first studio? Nah I don't fink so...but that's a good example see Benny gives off the vibe he's from Highbury or sum shit but Napalm told me a few weeks ago he is from hornsey but I had never heard of him b4 he made music

• Downvote 1

Okay first studio was assumption, my point is Rephan told me about Benny Banks years ago, and his bars were fucking raw, to the point it went in one ear & straight out the other, but his name at the time kinda made me laugh & remember him when his momentum started. I'd have to ask Rephan but I swear the little team he was forming then was Benny, Pakman, Skipper, and someone else, and this was so long ago they was rapping on Streets All Salute beats so its like '05-'06.

Guest PROFIT MARGINS

Yh but my point is I'm from hornsey and until a few weeks ago if anyone asked me if he was from there I would have said no plus my girls from marquess and no one from there knew who he was so I knew he wasn't from Highbury but turns out he is from my bits pmsl

Joke is he never shouts out where he's from where as ASAP rocky does but same way he wasn't that guy before the music

And like I said what about DZA surely that's a cosign

he mentions in one interview how he was never just on the block chillin, shottin etc. said he shot in the bronx and partied uptown with the gays and the hipsters. saying that he also said he was just known as a cool guy, a bit different but people left him alone. maybe this is interesting.

he said his crew are from all over, not one neighborhood.

there were always rumours of how Odd Future is some big conspiracy as well. some Interscope put together job. if that's what these Harlem guys are insinuating about ASAP Rocky then that's interesting and maybe a bit more feasible. like "oh you lived in Harlem once upon a time?... perfect, well then that's how we'll market you..."

Lol. OF have been about for years.

From when Earl was known as Sly Tendancies.

I dont see them OR ASAP being some record marketing plan... but who knows ay. All i care abuot is the music. Keep giving me sick shit and I will keep listening.

Yh but my point is I'm from hornsey and until a few weeks ago if anyone asked me if he was from there I would have said no plus my girls from marquess and no one from there knew who he was so I knew he wasn't from Highbury but turns out he is from my bits pmsl

Joke is he never shouts out where he's from where as ASAP rocky does but same way he wasn't that guy before the music

And like I said what about DZA surely that's a cosign

You from Hornsey yeah, skeen.

• Downvote 4

there were always rumours of how Odd Future is some big conspiracy as well. some Interscope put together job. if that's what these Harlem guys are insinuating about ASAP Rocky then that's interesting and maybe a bit more feasible. like "oh you lived in Harlem once upon a time?... perfect, well then that's how we'll market you..."

im saying

these execs know what they're doing, they just tipped the boat too far on this one, harlems too prominent. shit like this getting more prevalent though, and it's fucking up the rap game, pissing me off, thats why i dont trust any of these new niggas, they can rap but i'm not buying it.

if u been watching u'll know this shit is ALL drakes fault.

• Upvote 2