Gervinho

8BALL

zp_Gervinho_5_110706PAFC_1082.jpg?ic=eb2dcaT
Arsenal Football Club is delighted to announce that Ivory Coast international forward Gervinho has finalised his switch to the Gunners, joining the Club on a long-term contract for an undisclosed fee. Gervinho, 24, arrives at Arsenal from French side Lille, with the paperwork surrounding his move now approved. The Ivorian helped Lille to a Ligue 1 and Coupe de France double last season, scoring 18 goals in 49 games in all competitions. The campaign capped a very successful two years for Gervinho, during which time he netted 36 times in his 93 appearances for Les Gogues. Before joining Lille, Gervinho enjoyed two seasons with Le Mans, also in Ligue 1. On the international stage, Gervinho captained the Ivory Coast in the 2008 Olympics in Beijing and also represented his country at the 2010 World Cup, scoring twice in just three substitute appearances during qualification to the finals. To date, Gervinho has made 27 appearances in total for Les Eléphants, scoring six goals. The forward, who came through the same Ivorian youth academy - ASEC Mimosas - as Emmanuel Eboue, before following in the right-back’s footsteps to join Belgian side KSK Beveren, will immediately join up with his new team mates for pre-season training. Manager Arsène Wenger said: “Gervinho is a player that can play in a number of positions up front. He can play on the right, on the left and through the middle. He has qualities that I find very important, like his movement off the ball. He has the qualities we like technically. He is good one against one, he is strong and was the best provider in the French league with assists and he scored 15 goals. I think he is a very good addition to the squad.” After completing his move to the Gunners, Gervinho said: “It’s a great feeling to be an Arsenal player. I’m very happy. I’ve always dreamed to play for this Club. I’ve achieved this dream now and I am so happy. It’s one of the most beautiful days of my life. “I’m very happy to have the chance to work with Arsène Wenger. I came here because I believe that he can improve my game and help me reach another level, but the most important thing for me is that I bring a lot to the team for whom I’m playing.”
We're a team known to be scared of shooting half the time...Gervinho for me is a welcome addition to the squad. I can see him bagging 10+ goals next season given the opportunity. Hair doesn't look as bad as first anticipated aswell, him Song and Sagna are probably best friends already :lol:Thoughts on Gervinho for the upcoming season...? Place your bets NOW.

zp_Gervinho_5_110706PAFC_1082.jpg?ic=eb2dcaT
Arsenal Football Club is delighted to announce that Ivory Coast international forward Gervinho has finalised his switch to the Gunners, joining the Club on a long-term contract for an undisclosed fee. Gervinho, 24, arrives at Arsenal from French side Lille, with the paperwork surrounding his move now approved. The Ivorian helped Lille to a Ligue 1 and Coupe de France double last season, scoring 18 goals in 49 games in all competitions. The campaign capped a very successful two years for Gervinho, during which time he netted 36 times in his 93 appearances for Les Gogues. Before joining Lille, Gervinho enjoyed two seasons with Le Mans, also in Ligue 1. On the international stage, Gervinho captained the Ivory Coast in the 2008 Olympics in Beijing and also represented his country at the 2010 World Cup, scoring twice in just three substitute appearances during qualification to the finals. To date, Gervinho has made 27 appearances in total for Les Eléphants, scoring six goals. The forward, who came through the same Ivorian youth academy - ASEC Mimosas - as Emmanuel Eboue, before following in the right-back’s footsteps to join Belgian side KSK Beveren, will immediately join up with his new team mates for pre-season training. Manager Arsène Wenger said: “Gervinho is a player that can play in a number of positions up front. He can play on the right, on the left and through the middle. He has qualities that I find very important, like his movement off the ball. He has the qualities we like technically. He is good one against one, he is strong and was the best provider in the French league with assists and he scored 15 goals. I think he is a very good addition to the squad.” After completing his move to the Gunners, Gervinho said: “It’s a great feeling to be an Arsenal player. I’m very happy. I’ve always dreamed to play for this Club. I’ve achieved this dream now and I am so happy. It’s one of the most beautiful days of my life. “I’m very happy to have the chance to work with Arsène Wenger. I came here because I believe that he can improve my game and help me reach another level, but the most important thing for me is that I bring a lot to the team for whom I’m playing.”
We're a team known to be scared of shooting half the time...Gervinho for me is a welcome addition to the squad. I can see him bagging 10+ goals next season given the opportunity. Hair doesn't look as bad as first anticipated aswell, him Song and Sagna are probably best friends already :DThoughts on Gervinho for the upcoming season...? Place your bets NOW.
LOL co sign the hair coment. But, did you see the pic of him with song. Bait he was making inquiries about where to cop that blonde dye in songs hair ..Yeah am expecting about 10 goals this season too. A few decent assists too. A few frustrating games from the start then he should pick up a few games in.

"When you are young, you always want to improve, to work with great managers - and Arsene Wenger is one of the best in the world," Gervinho told ArsenalPlayer."I think that with him, I will become a much better player, and he was very important in my choice to sign here."I came here because I believe that he can improve my game and help me reach another level, but the most important thing for me is that I bring a lot to the team for whom I am playing."Gervinho accepts it may take a few weeks to adapt to the English top flight, but he is determined to be up to speed when the Gunners kick off their Premier League campaign at Newcastle United on 13 August."I want to use my time here at Arsenal to develop my strengths," he said."I know English football is harder and I might need a bit of time at the start, but ultimately it is down to me to raise my game and adapt."With the help of the team, I hope I can do that quickly."I will prepare well to be ready by the start."

"It is football, everything moves quickly," Gervinho told Radio Monte Carlo Sport."If the club does not manage to keep these players, they will be able to replace them."The Ivorian is confident that the team will still be able to compete for honours and will continue to be regarded as an elite side, regardless of whether or not manager Arsene Wenger is able to hold on to Fabregas and Nasri."Arsenal will always remain a large club," Gervinho added."No-one knows what will happen in the future, maybe in a year or two Arsenal will win titles."
Guy oozes confidence hopefully that can translate onto the pitch. Starter vs Cologne on saturday I hope.

Guest Portuguese

He will do very well out wide but I am saying it now if played through the middle regularly(with RVP or Cesc or even Arshavin in the hole) he will become a beast.Henry MK II but it's a shame he has nobody to toughen him up in training.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gervinho says he is happy with how he has performed in his first season with Arsenal but knows there are aspects of his game that he needs to work hard on. The Ivory Coast international made the move to Emirates Stadium from Lille last summer and has been a regular starter for the Gunners when he has been available.

He has produced a number of eye-catching displays and is satisfied with how he has adjusted to his new surroundings, but remains determined to improve.

Gervinho hopes to become more prolific in front of goal, having netted just four times in 35 appearances, even if he expects next season to be just as tough.

"I am happy about my first season but I know I can do better," Gervinho told the Official Arsenal Programme.

"I have scored and given assists but I also created a few chances that I missed. If I had been more efficient, it would have been even better.

"I need to work hard at training to become more clinical in front of goal. I'm not worried though.

"People say that the second season is always better for a foreign player but I don't think it will be much easier.

"Every game is tough for me because the level of competition is so high in the Premier League, and every time you have to be at your best."