The False '9' Replaced The Number '10'?

Mame Biram Diouf

Growing up used to love watching the advanced playmakers pull the strings, split open defences and get on the head of down downs from the target men. Unfortunately in the last few years they seem to have been phased out for faster false number 9s.

Players like Riquelme, Zidane and Laudrup who orchestrated the game in my opinion have been forced to become deep-lying playmakers in the mould of Xavi Alonso, Carrick and Pirlo and have had their role given to a faux number 9 ie Rooney, Anelka, Suarez who roll around the top of the pitch dropping in an out of pockets.

Maybe its just part of the evolution of football but cant see the likes of Pastore, Ganso, Lucas etc having the same sort of impact on the pitch

Beg someone drop some sick videos so I can sit here and reminisce about when footballers were talents and not robots

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

Guest M12 Part 2

Growing up I always played the false number 9 role. All my

Managers at every level hated it. Thought I should have been playing on the last man. In this country there has never been a real number 10 role. It's always been one battler and a Steven gerrard kind of player who gets up and down but weighs in with a few goals. Number 10s are a continental thing. So to answer your question in england the number 10 never existed to e replaced.

To be honest, I ain't mad at false 9's. Maybe because I watch football much more intensely & analytically then I did when traditional playmakers were the main creative fulcrums of their teams, but I think I prefer false 9's. I think the fact that they tend to be responsible for providing the spark, in addition to having to carry heavier physical & defensive demands is something to respect & even marvel at.

Saying that, purely from an aesthetic POV, I do prefer #10's, i.e. Gourcuff.

the playmakers You speak of were always few and far between, never been enough to go around. at the moment we've got Modric, Iniesta ( when he set up Messi against Arsenal last season that reminded me of the old skool playmakers )

however, You asked for playmaker vids....

Guest Portuguese

To think only two people knew what a false number nine was before Barca played Arsenal in the 1st leg.

Riquelme/Rui Costa/Totti/Bergkamp/Boban/Deco(before he joined Barca)/Kaka were the last number tens.

Zidane/Ronaldinho were number 10's who played from the left.

Pirlo/Xavi/Redondo(before 2008) made deep line playmakers fashionable.

Now days I think Xabi is the best deep line playmaker in world football because the likes of Iniesta/Xavi play as 8's(Ozil is a 8 for Real and a 10 for Germany)

Maradona the original number 10(the greatest ever)

• Downvote 3

Guest Portuguese

To think only two people knew what a false number nine was before Barca played Arsenal in the 1st leg.

lol what?

On here when I kept on mentioning Messi was a false number nine and became the focal point since 2009.

You would of thought I was posting in Portuguese due to the way people didn't have a clue what I was talking about regarding the false number nine.

Riquelme/Rui Costa/Totti/Bergkamp/Boban/Deco(before he joined Barca)/Kaka were the last number tens.

What would you say Fabregas played when he was at Arsenal?

What would you class Gotze as? (If you know who he is)

Ganso?

Sniedjer when played off Eto?

Guest Portuguese

@MK

Arshavin played from the left for Zenit its like Zidane/Dinho

Cesc is more like a number 8 there is no way as for Gourcuff why did you have to tarnish the topic by dropping his name.

A number 10 who shoots more than he passes isn't a playmaker eg Sneijder

Ganso? Needs to fully recover from his injury

Gotze? No I don't know who he is but he was first mentioned on here last summer when City played Dortmund in pre season by someone I really cannot remember who!

• Upvote 1

@MK

Arshavin played from the left for Zenit its like Zidane/Dinho

Cesc is more like a number 8 there is no way as for Gourcuff why did you have to tarnish the topic by dropping his name.

A number 10 who shoots more than he passes isn't a playmaker eg Sneijder

Ganso? Needs to fully recover from his injury

Gotze? No I don't know who he is but he was first mentioned on here last summer when City played Dortmund in pre season by someone I really cannot remember who!

As for Arshavin, fair enough, didn't watch enough of Zenit to really argue at length, always assumed he had a free role in team which is what a #10 is effectively.

Fabregas was definitely a #10 at Arsenal, don't let his goal-scoring in the last 2 seasons & a half fool you. Creative fulcrum of the team, created the most goal-scoring chances & assists in Europe's top leagues for the past like 5 years.

As for Gourcuff, bags of talent, in terms of playing style, closest player to compare to Zidane & was one of Europe's finest playmakers in the 2008-2009 season. Shame about his mental strength though.

Guest Portuguese

And I'm sure more than 2 people on the forum knew what false 9's were, they just didn't call them 'false 9's'.

:lol:

/

Need to watch more Germany & Bayern. I think Toni Kroos is another one we may add to the list.

Find the thread for the 1st leg between Arsenal/Barca.

/

Kroos is a number 8

Guest Portuguese

Xavi/Iniesta are number 8's

box to box has gone downhill

from the likes of Vieira/Keane/Davids to Ramires

C/S about Bayern's system not allowing a number 10 especially with Robbery around but saying that if Muller had the vision of Kroos it could work