Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
His-RightPalm

HP Stop Making PCs, Phones and Tablets

30 posts in this topic

pissed for whoever just bought the new Pee phones and tablets

Hewlett-Packard to exit computing and buy Autonomy

Hewlett-Packard has confirmed plans to stop making PCs, tablets and phones, in order to refocus on software.

It has also emerged that the US company has agreed to buy UK software firm Autonomy for £7.1bn ($11.7bn).

HP added that it was considering selling its personal systems group, which includes the world's biggest PC-making business, and that it will discontinue its webOS devices.

The webOS operating system is used in its tablet computers and smartphones.

Refocus

The announcements mark a significant U-turn for the company, which announced in a March strategic review that it would integrate webOS into all of its future hardware.

HP had launched its Pre smartphone as a competitor to the iPhone and devices based on Google's Android operating system.

However, webOS failed to gain traction with reviewers, operators and retailers.

The decision to ditch the Pre, as well as its TouchPad tablet computers, comes despite paying $1.2bn (£727m) last year to buy up the technology through its acquisition of Palm.

There have been long-running rumours that chief executive Leo Apotheker, who recently joined from German rival SAP, wanted to refocus the company away from its traditional hardware business towards its smaller, but much more profitable, software lines.

The transformation planned by Mr Apotheker mirrors that of IBM, which dropped out of its traditional hardware business over the past decade.

"HP is recognising what the world has recognised, which is hardware in terms of consumers is not a huge growth business anymore," said Michael Yoshikami, chief executive of YCMNET Advisors.

"It's not where the money is. It's in keeping with the new CEO's perspective that they want to be more in services and more business-oriented."

On the sale of its PC business, HP said it "will consider a broad range of options that may include, among others, a full or partial separation... from HP through a spin-off or other transaction".

Market rumours have previously named various private equity firms as being keen to buy parts of HP if a break-up of the company were to happen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14584428

They might aswell open source it.

Would've gotten better traction if they did.

them phones and tablets gonna go for dirt cheap now, some electrical riot, cnt f*ckin wait

but c/s they need to open source it, would be a madness

arrrggghhhh need to send of my lappy, fan keep hitting agaisnt something making some weird noise, i want a fresh newone tho

they own compaq though, they still gonna make PCs under the Compaq name?

if so, makes sense to only sell PCs under 1 brand.

Following in the footsteps of IBM then?

Its only a matter of time before Apple dominate the notebook market. They already do if you include iPads.

Hopefully Samsung or HTC even pick up Web OS.

Unlikely but you never know

its starting

HP Issues TouchPad Liquidation Order – Get Yours Now For $100

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/hp-issues-touchpad-liquidation-order--get-yours-now-for-100/2011/08/20/gIQANYASRJ_story.html

this needs to get over here, I swear I think its kinda sh*t but for them prices for comtemporary electronics ill buy anything

Its buggy, wouldnt say sh*t.

For 70 quid though, want.

If it could be hacked to run Android I woulda told my friend from America to cop me one no qualms.

It can't do Android yet. But I'm gonna try coppin one of these still.

The discounted price is hitting uk now :Y:

i beg you lot post if you know where to get them

argghh, my debit card is f*cked I have to wait for a new one, or buy in cash or something

pehssed

may just ebay if they dont bump

these arent going to be around by the time i get home

Seems like its out of stock everywhere already.

f*ck*ng pissed at this, always buy HP computers and lappys