An Animated GIF Of The Music Industry's Death

DJ Stashman

The music industry has always been controlled by the big 4/5 record labels.

The music you hear and see on radio/TV is paid for by them and promoted by the big 2/3 media companies.

The moment music became free the control was out of their hands.

The only person I feel sorry for are the indies and smaller artists hustling to get their recognition.

Downloadable singles dominate the share of downloadable music -- but most sales still exist in physical formats. (Granted, most music these days is probably being stolen.) Seeing this, it's hard not to wonder: What's going to be after the MP3? You've got to think that the Internet will be the mode of exchange for decades and decades to come -- and that downloadable files will be MP3s or some newer, higher-resolution replacement. But the gaping thing this gif doesn't quite get to is the fact that all this assumes that people need to own their music. As Spotify and even Pandora have shown, that might be the case at all--and the next music-format revolution might not be too far away.

im so glad i havent bourght a cd since the 90s

im proud of the amount fo music i've stolen

i'l never buy anything ever again...

if CDs or casettes hadnt been exorbitantly priced and we hadnt been treated like a massive p*ssy jus gettin f*cked then maybe id be more inclined to buy music

but nooo

Hearing someones single - buying the album - the rest of the album is nothing like the single - £10-15 gone - PISSED.

They were mocking for years, this is payback in a big way.

• Upvote 4

The music industry has always been controlled by the big 4/5 record labels.

The music you hear and see on radio/TV is paid for by them and promoted by the big 2/3 media companies.

The moment music became free the control was out of their hands.

The only person I feel sorry for are the indies and smaller artists hustling to get their recognition.

Generally speakiing their still VERY much in control tbh & fighting back hard. Don't get it twisted. Some big cases against major sites/isp are due to conclude sometime this year so look out for some big changes.

Anyway, the BIG money is & always has been in publishing when it comes to music so despite record numbers of illegal downloading. That is one area they'll probably always have on lock for a long while.