Park Chu Young

CarltonLeach

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
"It isn't really possible to be excused. That can't and won't happen, which is another reason I chose to come here.

"I'll have to leave Europe in two years' time and I thought this would be an incredible place to finish. My national service is inevitable and there is no point in thinking anything else.

"I'll still be playing games, but for an army club. I think it'll be difficult to return to Europe after that, although if something interesting comes up, you never know."

• 5 months later...

Arsenal striker Park Chu-Young has had his compulsory military service in South Korea delayed for 10 years.

The South Korea's Military Manpower Administration said on Friday that Park's 10-year residency visa from Monaco means he can put off his service until 2022.

The 26-year-old was expected to begin his service either this year or next year. All able-bodied South Korean men are required to serve two to three years in the military.