No longer guranteed 4th, no longer complacent?

Captain Planet

From todays Arseblog

What’s interesting to me about where we are now is that there cannot possibly be any measure of complacency in any game and against any opposition. When Arsenal were considered title contenders and there was no question of us finishing outside the top four, you would find that from time to time Arsenal would approach certain games with less intensity than others. This is why you would see us drop points at home to West Brom, or Hull. It’s why we’d play a scintillating, high-intensity pressing game against Chelsea and win, yet slump to a draw against ten man Wigan just a couple of days later.

The days of Arsenal going into a game having an expectation of winning are in the past (at least for the time being). Every game has got to be approached as if it were a cup final (not a Carling Cup final, a different kind of cup final where we actually turn up). No opposition can be thought of as lowly. Swansea was a perfect example of that at the weekend. Sure, they’re a newly promoted team and were full of the early season vigour many such teams have, but afterwards the complaint from some fans was that although we won, we didn’t hammer them.

Yup

And now according to d*ck heads like Merson our first string is weaker than Man uniteds second

Finishing in a champions leauge spot this season will be a real testament to the genius which is Wenger

And let's face it isn't going to help the " player exodus"

This is our best shot at keeping the remainder of our best players

Cus Ivan Gadiz is probably taking a long well deserved break, after the rigorious and strenuous contract negotiating, which he had to ordeal, while getting Henri Lansbury to sign an contract extension

Contract renewals with other players and agents, won't begin until Ivan and Hill wood have a chance to relax and recuperate in their holiday homes, in the cotswolds

Plus theirs more pressing issues to deal with, like how much of the cesc and nas money be used to invest in directors chairs which are both comfortable and firm, then we need to finally nail down what type of lighting creates a positive atmosphere in the lobby

Once this is settled we can focus on tying up Walcott and RVP with new contracts

People have been writing Arsenal off for years, what's your point?

silly post

I disagree

its true in the sense that for most seasons people predict that we will finish outside top 4. Refer to the who will end up where thread made before every season and you will see

so whats so different this season? just coz of the fact we have lost Cesc and Nasri?

A convincing victory at Blackburn and you will see everybody's head turn

silly post

I disagree

its true in the sense that for most seasons people predict that we will finish outside top 4. Refer to the who will end up where thread made before every season and you will see

so whats so different this season? just coz of the fact we have lost Cesc and Nasri?

It is different this year though no? You lost the best two players that you got. You never fully address these problems and everyone you bought, apart from gervinho, are panic buys. Teams are going to your ground and beating you. Apart from RVP i don't think you've got any established stars. Wilshire being out for 2 months is not good as well.

You played 2 rivals already:

Liverpool beat you at your own ground.

Utd beat you 8-2.

You only win so far has been against Swansea where the keeper passed to Arshavin and he kicked the ball into an empty net. No other goals came from that game.

Normally, people wrote off you lot off 'cause you always seem declinig but you still had stars like Cesc and were capable of beating top teams. Your downfall was mainly against weaker teams and where Wenger trusted the squad players and they flopped. This time you lost alot of quality. If your losing to all the big teams in the league thats when you'll really struggle. You always had a chance to beat the big teams before but i don't you see beating City Chelsea Utd this season. Liverpool have already beaten you as well.

Not saying Spurs or Liverpool will be coming 4th. I don't think we can get 4th with Harry and his tactics and Liverpool's team is still new but they look strong. Arsenal can still finish top 4 but no way can you say its like the previous seasons where people have written you lot off 'cause the game has completely changed! If you lot come 4th it will be a lot of struggle to get there whereas previous seasons you could always stroll there.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

silly post

I disagree

It is different this year though no? You lost the best two players that you got. You never fully address these problems and everyone you bought, apart from gervinho, are panic buys. Teams are going to your ground and beating you. Apart from RVP i don't think you've got any established stars. Wilshire being out for 2 months is not good as well.

You played 2 rivals already:

Liverpool beat you at your own ground.

Utd beat you 8-2.

You only win so far has been against Swansea where the keeper passed to Arshavin and he kicked the ball into an empty net. No other goals came from that game.

Normally, people wrote off you lot off 'cause you always seem declinig but you still had stars like Cesc and were capable of beating top teams. Your downfall was mainly against weaker teams and where Wenger trusted the squad players and they flopped. This time you lost alot of quality. If your losing to all the big teams in the league thats when you'll really struggle. You always had a chance to beat the big teams before but i don't you see beating City Chelsea Utd this season. Liverpool have already beaten you as well.

Not saying Spurs or Liverpool will be coming 4th. I don't think we can get 4th with Harry and his tactics and Liverpool's team is still new but they look strong. Arsenal can still finish top 4 but no way can you say its like the previous seasons where people have written you lot off 'cause the game has completely changed! If you lot come 4th it will be a lot of struggle to get there whereas previous seasons you could always stroll there.

This is not the first time we have lost our best players and still came out strong

This has only happened once this season against liverpool

Generally all of the rest you said doesnt take into account that:

- We are only 3 games in

- We lost games when we were SEVERELY understrength and before we made 5 signings

- The word 'stars' is ambiguous as they always come and go.

- When you talk about quality totally ignoring that we arguably have the best 'quality' in a Goalkeeper something we havnt addressed since Lehman and can potentially win you games alone

- We are Arsenal not Tottenham/Liverpool sorry mate

• Upvote 2

Lol you'd have to be a fool not to recognise things have come to a head this season, it's been coming for 5 seasons and now it is finally here.

Things are very different this season and those transparent excuses about building and transition won't wash now. We have been stagnant for years lack of activity in the transfer market is what has cost us titles and now our best players too.

Writing us off for fourth is premature as we still have quality but to ignore that this season is different is retarded post Henry we relied on our midfield to provide more goals and even more so since we switched to 4-3-3, and looking at the squad i'm just not convinced as to where these goals will come from.

Rvp will bag his usual amount over the course of the season and I expect we will concede less, but i'm not convinced by the ability of the midfielders to score.

I personally am happy with this squad. Some of you genuinely saw United/City/Chelsea and even now, STILL think we can compete. Liverpool tried to keep up, when did they last kick Champions League football? ARE THEY EVEN IN EUROPA? And please don't talk about them looking strong, they beat us away, then go and lose to Stoke away. People act like if we spent money we'd still be ahead or up there with Chelsea and Utd. We could have fallen behind like Liverpool, worse off considering our stadium move.

We now have EXPERIENCE. Something people CRIED out for. Yet on here mixed/negative opinions. We've never purchased world beaters, and we can't compete even if we wanted to with what City have now started, and Chelsea and Utd can still do. I'm not saying accept 4th, I still reckon once we get some heads back and can rotate the odd player, we can do things this season, but Liverpool and Spurs we should still be finishing above them.

Maybe I'm biased, but I kinda see the same pattern every year. We sell blah blah blah, we're out the top 4, others crumble for 4th, we crumble for the league. Only regret I had it that we didn't have this squad before Newcastle. It'll be harder, but we can challenge for a cup, and get a good place. If I didn't think this I might as well stay at home with the rest of you and save my money.

• Upvote 6

I personally am happy with this squad. Some of you genuinely saw United/City/Chelsea and even now, STILL think we can compete. Liverpool tried to keep up, when did they last kick Champions League football? ARE THEY EVEN IN EUROPA? And please don't talk about them looking strong, they beat us away, then go and lose to Stoke away. People act like if we spent money we'd still be ahead or up there with Chelsea and Utd. We could have fallen behind like Liverpool, worse off considering our stadium move.

We now have EXPERIENCE. Something people CRIED out for. Yet on here mixed/negative opinions. We've never purchased world beaters, and we can't compete even if we wanted to with what City have now started, and Chelsea and Utd can still do. I'm not saying accept 4th, I still reckon once we get some heads back and can rotate the odd player, we can do things this season, but Liverpool and Spurs we should still be finishing above them.

Maybe I'm biased, but I kinda see the same pattern every year. We sell blah blah blah, we're out the top 4, others crumble for 4th, we crumble for the league. Only regret I had it that we didn't have this squad before Newcastle. It'll be harder, but we can challenge for a cup, and get a good place. If I didn't think this I might as well stay at home with the rest of you and save my money.

Had to POS,

An inspirational post.

Watch how we can goto Blackburn tomorrow and look solid at the back, kill the game at the right points and strike when the irons hot.

Can't wait for tomorrow, Tuesday was an insight to what we can look forward to but tomorrow is the acid test and we'll come through with flying colours.

PS. Rsonist fuck off peaking in here you c*nt

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1