Wenger, Did The Opposition Just Catch Up?

Aquaman

6-7 seasons ago Arsenal where ahead, the legacy of that meant Arsenal managed to challenge without spending and selling players, however for the last 3 seasons its gradually become more obvious Arsenal have needed to spend and TBH they can't compete with City, United, or Chelsea for transfers.

Well they could if they used their owner or next biggest shareholders money but thats another debate.

Guest Portuguese

6-7 seasons ago Arsenal where ahead, the legacy of that meant Arsenal managed to challenge without spending and selling players, however for the last 3 seasons its gradually become obvious Arsenal have needed to spend and TBH can't compete with City, United, or Chelsea for transfers.

Well they could if the used their owner or next biggest shareholders money.

Money talks

/

What's the biggest transfer budget Wenger has ever had?

6-7 seasons ago Arsenal where ahead, the legacy of that meant Arsenal managed to challenge without spending and selling players, however for the last 3 seasons its gradually become more obvious Arsenal have needed to spend and TBH they can't compete with City, United, or Chelsea for transfers.

Well they could if they used their owner or next biggest shareholders money but thats another debate.

We can't compete with them financially so we need to be smarter, problem is theres too much competition for players

3rd party groups

Clubs in countries where permits are less stringent (Palermo, Napoli, Benfica, Porto)

French Clubs have more financial muscle (Lyon, Marseille, PSG) They all in good shape financially post 2005

Saying all this there is still value we passed up on alot of good quality players available from 10-15m.

Guest Portuguese

We can't compete with them financially so we need to be smarter, problem is theres too much competition for players

3rd party groups

Clubs in countries where permits are less stringent (Palermo, Napoli, Benfica, Porto)

French Clubs have more financial muscle (Lyon, Marseille, PSG) They all in good shape financially post 2005

Saying all this there is still value we passed up on alot of good quality players available from 10-15m.

Palermo/Napoli only get one non EU a season(I think it has gone to two)

C/S about PSG/Marseille but my hometown are broke(I blame Puel for this but mainly Aulas)

No no no

I want to know if there has been money there or not for Wenger to spend.

If Wenger is really that stubborn/deluded or his hands are tied

The money is there, but the club dont like to take on big fees and big wages. So its one or the other... Until 2013 or 2014 (cant remember which) when the commercial deals are revised I think that policy will continue.

For example Chamberlain our biggest signing this summer is probably on the lowest wages out of the arrivals (bar Jenkinson).

Guest Portuguese

No no no

I want to know if there has been money there or not for Wenger to spend.

If Wenger is really that stubborn/deluded or his hands are tied

The money is there, but the club dont like to take on big fees and big wages. So its one or the other... Until 2013 or 2014 (cant remember which) when the commercial deals are revised I think that policy will continue.

For example Chamberlain our biggest signing this summer is probably on the lowest wages out of the arrivals (bar Jenkinson).

Thanks

3rd party groups

C/S about PSG/Marseille but my hometown are broke(I blame Puel for this but mainly Aulas)

you know how these fuckers do italian grandmother etc.

anyway you understand the principle everyone should read the swiss ramble article

Guest Portuguese

3rd party groups

anyway you understand the principle everyone should read the swiss ramble article

South Americans>>

/

Link to this article please?

Arsenal dont even have to spend big money tbh,

Just sign up the right players,

Samba wouldn't of cost a arm an a leg and surely wouldnt of caused the wage structure too much distress,

Somebody like Scott Parker would also add something to the squad and again, the fee wouldn't of been astronomical and i'm sure something could have been done to stop the wages from being stupid,

there are players out there who could improve things at Arsenal, whether it be quality wise or just a additional strong character in the dressing room,

Samba's not going to win Worl player of the year anytime soon, but at 27 and with good premiership experience, and a level of performance where everyone klnows what you'll get from him, he wouldve sured up the defence a bit. In the long run that deal wouldv'e been a better bet than Mertesacker, but at no point did i think you'd sign him,

Wenger wants to do things in a certain way, whereas the fans invariably just want to "do things" both are right in essence, there just needs to be some common ground and more flexibility as common sense lies somewhere in the middle,

for the record i agree with Wenger/Arsenals stance on not paying ridiculous wages, and cutting their cloth accordingly, However i just thought that with the new stadium and increased revenues the money put aside for these things would be increased.

3rd party groups

South Americans>>

/

Link to this article please?

http://swissramble.blogspot.com/2011/05/arsenals-transfer-budget.html

Scott Parker wanted to join Tottenham. Just like Phil Jones wanted to join Man United.

Wenger was never paying 15m for Samba. Mertersacker was the best deal as his club was prepared to sell... Bolton didnt want to sell Cahill, Everton didnt want to sell Jagielka, etc which means paying over the odds and we all know Wenger dont like that shit.

My only gripe with Wenger is that at some point this summer, it seems as if he was in denial about Fabregas and Nasri, and thought fuck this shit, I cant be bothered no more.

Scott Parker wanted to join Tottenham. Just like Phil Jones wanted to join Man United.

Wenger was never paying 15m for Samba. Mertersacker was the best deal as his club was prepared to sell... Bolton didnt want to sell Cahill, Everton didnt want to sell Jagielka, etc which means paying over the odds and we all know Wenger dont like that shit.

no point getting into specifics the general point stands, there are players out there who don't cost 25m+ who are out there.

Since 2006, here is a list of all clubs that have won a trophy from England.

Walsall

Milton Keynes Dons

Brentford

Notts County

Chesterfield

Scunthorpe United

Swansea City

Leicester City

Norwich City

Brighton & Hove Albion

Sunderland

West Bromwich Albion

Wolverhampton Wanderers

Newcastle United

Queens Park Rangers

Manchester United

Chelsea

Portsmouth

Manchester City

Tottenham

Birmingham City

Did you spot anything wierd?

Yes that's right, no Arsenal in there and in my view they are no bigger than Walsall or Birmingham City.

Do you think if Wallsall went to Blackburn they would conceed 4 goals?

Think not,

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

The specifics are what he wanted tho.

i knoe i'm not gettin at you chillout brah.

/

more telling would be a list of players bought post 2005 and compare that to other top clubs

summer of 2004 we had just gone a year unbeaten and did not really lose anyone we also had bought reyes only 6 months beforehand yet we still went out and bought RVP (bargain 3m)

and brought through one cesc fabregas in the community shield,

The quality and frequency of arrivals to departures tells its story