its Official : UK has worst quality of life in Europe

MARVELL

Survey of 10 developed European countries puts UK at bottom of the pile due to high costs of living, while France takes top spot

People-with-umbrellas-wal-007.jpg

The UK has the second lowest hours of sunshine a year of the countries included in the uSwitch quality of life index. Photograph: Lewis Whyld/PAThe UK has been named the worst place to live in Europe for quality of life, behind countries with damaged economies such as Ireland and Italy, according to the latest uSwitch quality of life index.

The UK emerged as having the second lowest hours of sunshine a year, the fourth highest retirement age, and the third lowest spend on health as a percentage of GDP.

Despite above average household income – the fourth highest in Europe – Britons have 5.5 fewer days holiday a year than the European average and endure a below average government spend on education.

UK households also struggle with a high cost of living, with food and diesel prices the highest in Europe, and unleaded petrol, alcohol and cigarettes all costing more than the European average.

1 in 10 britons surveyed expressed their desire to emigrate abroad.
When coupled with many of the issues facing households in the UK today it is not surprising that one in 10 of us have contemplated starting a new life abroad. But for those of us who decide to stick it out and ride the storm, there will be no choice but to batten down the hatches. Cutting back where possible to help combat our high living costs will go some way to improving our quality of life."

of course, youll have the afgoons who love it here compared to the bombsite he and his family were raised on...but still...

when i emigrate to canada i wish i could shit in a bowl and throw it out the window from the plane.

sauce

This isn't hard to believe to be honest, my dad was saying to me not to long ago that Hackney is beginning to resemble a third world country and at first I thought he was exaggerating but when I look at it in comparison to what other places outside of the uk look like he aint lying. This place is an over priced squaller yet people want to come to the uk for hopes of a better life its like running to your own doom over here.

london>europe>rest of uk

less rainfall per year then paris and milan......

• Downvote 2

london>europe>rest of uk

less rainfall per year then paris and milan......

lol ok. so we have 'less rain'

but they have proper rainy seasons, and about 200 days of sunshine

UK is lucky to get 20 days of sunshine.

but i see what you did there, and that shows how stats can be tweaked to make shit look good

• Upvote 1

France and Spain are also where people in the UK would most like to live, with 13% of the 2,036 adults surveyed by uSwitch choosing Spain and 7% opting for France. The Spanish can expect to live just over a year longer than people in the UK, and enjoy the highest number of days holiday in Europe with 39 days. Spain also has the lowest alcohol price of the 10 countries.

The sort of brits in spain are mostly fat loud mouth cunts as for france it's a nice county but incredibly snobby.

If your 50+ i can see the appeal but if you like music,the arts and good urban clothing moving to those countries is like putting yourself forward for a lifetime of dryness. I love holidaying there especially Spain but to live? I couldn't do it. I know we hate London sometimes but when you've been away for a couple weeks and return you realise just how cool this place really is. Even with the rain.

there is a reason that europeans get so excited when they are in london.

Stupidness. Go to the outskirts of Paris & similar cities and tell me is isn't like poor areas of cities in this country.

UK >>>>>>>>>> Europe.

Their music is shit, we set the trend, they try to copy and end up doing it wrong.

Their languages are shit.

Some of these pathetic countries have a crap equal rights policy (Venom, they will take the piss out of homosexuals like you).

The cost of living here though is a pisstake though.

justin you still have the maturity and brain capacity of a 12 yr old. outskirts of paris like the south of france yeh where over 1m brits have houses or visit every year? madrid isnt even the big tourist city in spain..they have plenty. UK doesnt. as for all the rest you mention its just cos ur a fucking spastic. u really shdnt comment on any topic thats not wrestling related and even that...you still struggle to compose yourself..........ur just a stupid fat kid who gets bullied

• Upvote 2

I know a few Muslim people overseas in france and they say they are treated pretty disgracefully so I wonder

A lot of you guys living in England / London would feel proper outcasted and be second class citizens in some of those countries

So I'd take the good with the bad tbh

(I do agree England is for the most part, sheg though - can't stand cold places, or places that are too built up and devloped, but then that is 99.8% of the western world)

see why i cant take this article seriously or the people who agree with it

because you cant compare living in say hull or middlesbro to living in the south of france or marbella spain

people like the majority of us could never live in the country sides in england let alone the ones in europe... and to be honest parts of spain and italy are almost third world

you can only compare city to city

and i dare anyone to show me a better city to live in europe then london..... that has a better standard of life.... and when i say life i mean YOUR LIFE not some old 50 year old white middle class couple life

• Upvote 5

ice..dont you have common sense? why can i not compare marbella to Hull? or st tropez to Middlesborogh? they are all cities outside of the capital city....what has become of them is a testament to the country..and its quality of life......frankfurt...is like a manchester or liverpool..yet uncomparable..........so is...amsterdam a birmingham of the Netherlands...i dont understand your claims that these cannot be compared to the UK...it is infact people like you who are too dim enough to realise that there are other cities outside of london........london is not the UK..it only has 7 million people out of 65million..... secondly...quality of life is everything...london doesnt have a better standard of life as i have discovered...........there is somewhat more integration in the UK i accept...but the UK is not very far from the same kind of racists you may find in europe (apart from shitty eastern europe)..they are just better at hiding it and pretending.....so when i talk about MY life...im talking about the quality of education, the quality of the food, the amenities, social services, transportation, cost of living etc..........who told you im thinking of some middle class white person? and whats wrong with middle class? why must i compare myself to some ghettoised standard of living?? wastemen

• Upvote 1

These surveys are in the most part sensationalist bullshit,

As depending on who you ask you will get different results, and then it's at your own discretion as to which results you actually publicise.

And Marvel there was a few things wrong with Justin's post, but I don't think that when he spoke about the outskirts of Paris he was talking about the South of France,

This survey could've have been taken in pretty much any country of the world, and depending in the area your taking it and the demographic of person asked, you could've made all those countries look like they have the worst quality of life.

This survey should mean nothing to anyone,

It's all very family fortunes. You ask 100 people to name you something you'll find in a bathroom, 90 of the first 100 will say a bath, 10 will say a toilet,

You take the survey in the same street the following week 90 will say a sink and 10 will say s bidet.

These things are publicised to fit into whatever agenda that particular media source is trying to put forward at that time,

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think that it is all relative, UK is a mess in many respects however how open-minded are some of us to live somewhere different?

Having a house in a deprived pocket of London, a Uni flat in Colchester, a house in Accra and another in a small tranquil town hidden in the mountains of the Volta region of Ghana has opened my eyes to many styles of living and I am truly thankful for that.

They all have their pros and cons and being at one place only serves to highlight the pros a nd cons of the others. London I love, it's true but being here I always feel there is better mores than anywhere else.

Dunno if I'm still on point here lol

• Upvote 1

see why i cant take this article seriously or the people who agree with it

because you cant compare living in say hull or middlesbro to living in the south of france or marbella spain

people like the majority of us could never live in the country sides in england let alone the ones in europe... and to be honest parts of spain and italy are almost third world

you can only compare city to city

and i dare anyone to show me a better city to live in europe then london..... that has a better standard of life.... and when i say life i mean YOUR LIFE not some old 50 year old white middle class couple life

Bang on!!

I always wonder why we have a heavy number of people in the bigger cities in this country who almost try to force the issue that their quality of life is so terrible. Have a look around you, visit some other countries an realise where we are living.

I work with a group

Of young people who have been signing on an claiming benefits for a good few years now since leaving school, whenever any debate surrounding the goverment and what not arises, I always hear ohh they don't do anything for me, I always ask. "compared to which country"

There was a quote in Soprano's once when a Russian woman said to Tony. "You Americans have everything handed to you so you never expect bad things or hardships to happen, whereas the rest of the world(poor countries) expect bad things to happen an are not disappointed"

I always think if that quote when I hear the kids from certain countries of the world complaining about how things are here, where would you rather be, honestly?

There's a distinct lack of perspective when certain people talk about this country,

I grew up

Whalley Range Manchester, up the road from the Alexandra park,

Then moved to Tottenham,

My older brother lived in Tower hamlets for a while, (the most deprived borough in the country apparently)

Very familiar with all these areas and would rather be here than a number if other places. In Europe and especIally elsewhere,

I.e Jamaica, Grenada, certain areas of New York and most countries in Africa,

This whole perception that a move yo this place over there in Europe will improve your life, Is effectively an "the grass is always greener" type notion

The fact that the article actually mentioned Weather actually made me laugh.

Theres alot wrong with this country, but the worst place in Europe crap us absolute joke. (And to those people suffering so much in the worst quality of life in Europe, WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE?

I think that it is all relative, UK is a mess in many respects however how open-minded are some of us to live somewhere different?

Having a house in a deprived pocket of London, a Uni flat in Colchester, a house in Accra and another in a small tranquil town hidden in the mountains of the Volta region of Ghana has opened my eyes to many styles of living and I am truly thankful for that.

They all have their pros and cons and being at one place only serves to highlight the pros a nd cons of the others. London I love, it's true but being here I always feel there is better mores than anywhere else.

Dunno if I'm still on point here lol

bingo, thats the real question, things have gone from bad to worse in the uk but it has not stopped some of us from continuing to stay here buy houses get ANOTHER flat to rent and so on.n Apathy.