Mixed Brittania

Sinister

1910-1939

Episode 1 of 3

DURATION: 1 HOUR

The previously untold history of Britain's mixed-race community and the many love stories that created it.

In the first of this three-part series, George Alagiah tells the story of romance in the First World War between female workers and foreign seamen, the street riots it led to, and how Britain just escaped laws preventing mixed marriage and the excesses of race science.

1940-1965

Episode 2 of 3

DURATION: 1 HOUR

In the second of this three-part series, George Alagiah tells the story of the GI babies labelled war casualties, the boom in mixed-race couples following mass migration and how Sixties trendsetters crossed the racial divide.

• Upvote 1

Mixed-race people once faced discrimination and hostility in Britain, so how much have things changed?

It's only when Frances and I go back and look at our wedding album that we realise quite what a meeting of cultures our marriage was. Not so much for the two of us but for our parents. My mum in her red and gold sari and Mary, my mother-in-law, in her floral patterned suit - it sort of sums up the journey the two families were making.

The truth is that Frances and I were wilfully ambivalent about the challenges that our different heritage and colour might throw our way. But not everyone around us was quite so sanguine. Years after we got married in 1984 we heard about a conversation between Frances's father, Charles, and her grandfather.

Read more at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15019672

Saw highlights of this on the news night yesterday.

The woman with 8 kids. 2 ghanian mixed, 2 egyptian mixed and two west indians, couldnt remember the rest. Afgoons comment came to my head I wont lie. LOL

Comical stuff.

The interviewer was tryna put in on her tho. About ' interracial marriages doesnt work and she is proof of that'

+

the dude that said he loves gollywogs..

I will be watchin the full thing properly later.