Squatting with a smith machine

Natty

Guest M12 Part 2

its nothing like a real squat its much easier.

Because the range of motion the bar can travel through is fixed. your stabiliser muscles dont do any work. and you can get away with the kind of form that would end up with you falling over if you were doing a proper squat.

Smith squat also has little to no carryover to the real squat. If you trained exclusively on the smith squat and worked up to 150kg say, you probably wouldnt even be able to squat 100kg with free weight. But if you trained up to 150kg on the free squat, 150 on the smith would feel like a walk in the park

its not bad, it should just be used in addition to the free bar. If your gym only has a smith machine for squats, then do lunges and leg presses more.

Use it in addition to the freeweight if you have both, like on your light days, or alternate it with the leg presses and go heavier on the smith.

I think my gym does not have a power rack so I'm in limbo about what to do

Also my boy was telling me that if I want to get cut/big FAST I should do a hypertrophy routine instead of stronglifts since its a strength regime and your muscles won't rip and therefore grow back lke if you were doing higher reps even i it was lower weights?

I think my gym does not have a power rack so I'm in limbo about what to do

Also my boy was telling me that if I want to get cut/big FAST I should do a hypertrophy routine instead of stronglifts since its a strength regime and your muscles won't rip and therefore grow back lke if you were doing higher reps even i it was lower weights?

Stronglifts is fine for building muscle imo. It covers the basics and builds a base. to get big you gotta eat big, you can do all the routines in the world but you wont build any muscle if you arent getting the calories in.