Keown & Bergkamp remember the good ol' days

TF S4DK

article-0-0E50FB7800000578-123_468x286.jpg

Keown: Let me take you back to when you first came to Arsenal under Bruce Rioch. I remember you were different to us. For one thing, you didn't eat at the training ground.

Bergkamp: There was a lot of fatty, greasy food. I remember going with Glenn Helder and some others to play tennis one afternoon. When we turned up at the place, Ray Parlour and John Hartson were there with pints of beer. It had been the same during my first pre-season. I thought, 'How is this possible?' But I didn't think I'd made a mistake because the atmosphere of English football was stunning.

Keown: There was a bit of pressure on you at first though, wasn't there?

Bergkamp: Yes, Alan Sugar said, 'He's come here for a year to get the money and then get out again', and then I got all these questions from journalists after a few games because I hadn't scored. The papers had a race between me and Chris Armstrong at Spurs to score our first goals.

Keown: You certainly scored plenty in the end. Do you have a favourite?

Bergkamp: Argentina in the World Cup was the biggest one. Because of the occasion and the way I did it. But similar to that was the one against Leicester. That was really the perfect goal. Because as soon as the ball came from Platty (David Platt), I pictured what I wanted to do. That team had all types. I don't want to give you a big head but I use some of the things you used to say in the dressing room to my players now: 'Take a look around and realise how good you are.'

Keown: It used to amaze me what guys like you, Marc Overmars or Thierry Henry could do. My role was to remind people how good you all were and on the pitch I was more of an enforcer. I used to set you guys the challenge by saying: 'Come on, how much do you want it? If you want it, it's there for you.' When I got the ball, I'd only look for three players - Patrick Vieira, you and Thierry.

article-0-0E46C52100000578-507_468x221.jpg

article-0-0E46BA4400000578-496_468x215.jpg

article-0-0E46B50700000578-874_468x218.jpg

Bergkamp: I remember those years that we used to go out on to the pitch and we knew we were going to win the game. Especially with our preparation. I remember you dancing before games.

Keown: People might think I'm crazy, but I was trying to relax. You used to find my favourite Michael Jackson song and put it on because you'd know I'd dance. You were one of the funny guys in the dressing room, the clothes monitor. If someone came in with any dodgy gear, you would hang it on the ceiling.

Bergkamp: I had to do that to you a few times. My favourite clothes story with you is when we went to West Ham and you celebrated like crazy when you scored in front of their fans.

Keown: I remember looking one of them right in the eye.

Bergkamp: The only problem was that the goal was disallowed and then the fans all started singing: 'Keown has a monkey's head.' Then the next year, they were selling t-shirts with that on outside the ground.

Keown: I heard you were going to buy a load of them and wear them to training.

Bergkamp: Yes, I nearly did. I wanted to!

Keown: What about Arsenal now? Why have they lost their way?

Bergkamp: When I look at Robin van Persie, he is the front player, but he is better in my old role. They are missing an out-and-out goalscorer. Now they play with an extra midfielder instead.

Keown: They changed it to accommodate Cesc Fabregas, didn't they? But he's gone now.

Bergkamp: The midfielders are all the same sort of players. You need one who wants to get in behind Van Persie.

Keown: The defence is vulnerable, too.

article-0-0E46B8D700000578-713_468x312.jpg

Bergkamp: We were spoilt back then. In training sometimes I couldn't understand how I was offside.

Keown: Dennis, if you'd been on Mars for the last two years, you'd never have believed what had happened to Arsenal, would you? What can Wenger do now?

Bergkamp: I know he's the one who will be struggling the most. But with his experience, it'll be OK.

Keown: There are lots of former players who could offer something at Premier League clubs. It's a shame that hasn't been embraced like it has here.

Bergkamp: There was talk of Patrick going to Arsenal during the summer. I would've done everything possible to get him there. Just to get him in and around the dressing room. It would have brought so much to the team.

To add to this there was a really good interview with him in The Blizzard where he just spoke on scoring goals, its amazing when you hear Dennis talk about the game, makes it seem so easy.

I remember the day when we signed Dennis, saw it on ITV teletext and punched the air.

Legend.

Imagine we had people like Vieira, Keown, Bergkamp working with our squad alongside Wenger & gang.

Would give invaluable inspiration and education to our mostly young squad who have hardly lifted a trophy between them.

Makes me seething seeing Vieira at City...even if it is in a non playing capacity.

Great read nonetheless, Bergkamp is a living legend and epitomized everything there is to love about the beautiful game (and the Arsenal).

Imagine we had people like Vieira, Keown, Bergkamp working with our squad alongside Wenger & gang.

Would give invaluable inspiration and education to our mostly young squad who have hardly lifted a trophy between them.

Makes me seething seeing Vieira at City...even if it is in a non playing capacity.

Great read nonetheless, Bergkamp is a living legend and epitomized everything there is to love about the beautiful game (and the Arsenal).

Trust

Wenger doesn't want ex players on his coaching staff, doesn't want anybody that would/could challenge his opinion. Probably the reason why Bould isn't anywhere near Wenger.

Only yes men are wanted within Arsenal.

its fucking sad..

hes not actually a ajax coach is he

Assistant manager to Frank de Boer

keown obviously

Keown went with the Daily Mail to do a journalism piece on Ajax and its new setup. Obviously when he went on the training field they gave him an Ajax training jacket to wear over the clothes he arrived in.

Trust

Wenger doesn't want ex players on his coaching staff, doesn't want anybody that would/could challenge his opinion. Probably the reason why Bould isn't anywhere near Wenger.

its fucking sad..

Again TBH your assuming, most players say Wenger doesn't take training - as in bark orders and run the drills, and his voice being the only one you hear. He watches on and then may pull you aside and talk to you one on one and give you his opinion on what he's seen.

So it's more he has a way of working and he doesnt want that disturbed. Because ex-pro's voices coming in wouldn't bend his nose out of shape, but it might Boro's and Pat's...

Trust

This thread has made me upset

Guest Portuguese

Bergkamp was sick it's a shame he never played for Barca or Real (which his technique alone deserved)

I still want to know how he failed in Italy.

Bergkamp Perfect 10 VHS for Christmas 1997 >>>>>

/

It's a shame Arsenal (alot of teams as well) haven't got a Cruyff type of figure running the club from top to bottom like he does at both Ajax and Barca.

• Downvote 1

You walk in training and you see Frank De Boer, Dennis Bergkamp, Edgar Davids and Jaap Stam - you've already won.

Bergkamp is the type of player everybody likes, just a technically flawless baller that's enjoyable to watch.

I doubt I will ever see a better hat trick than the one he got against Leicester.

Trust

its fucking sad..

Again TBH your assuming, most players say Wenger doesn't take training - as in bark orders and run the drills, and his voice being the only one you hear. He watches on and then may pull you aside and talk to you one on one and give you his opinion on what he's seen.

So it's more he has a way of working and he doesnt want that disturbed. Because ex-pro's voices coming in wouldn't bend his nose out of shape, but it might Boro's and Pat's...

Lol Wenger is stubborn and you just said it yourself, Wenger is a don't disturb person. From those two points alone its easy enough to decipher Wenger only wants people by his side who believe in his philosophy and vision full heartedly. He doesn't want opposition to his methods because that would disturb him would it not. Probably the reason why he doesn't want to let Rice go as he couldn't find another person who sits there in impeccable silence unless stan moved down from the boardroom.