Rafael Benitez Rejected Schalke Job

Mame Biram Diouf

rafa_benitez.jpg

Rafael Benitez was offered the opportunity to take over as Schalke boss, but turned down the German club’s advances.

According to Spanish newspaper El Confidencial, the former Liverpool manager was sounded out by Schalke when Ralf Rangnick resigned recently and could have slipped into the Ruhr side’s dugout.

Benitez though is believed to have judged Schalke not to be serious contenders for silverware and the Spaniard is only prepared to return to the game to take charge of a club that matches his ambition.

The 51-year-old is keen to take a new position within the game, with a job in England his first choice, although any offers from his homeland of Spain will also be studied carefully.

Swear he already turned down the Athletico job a few months ago. Guy seem scarred from his experience with Inter. What job can he honeslty in England apart from Man City (but Mancini got at least 18-24months left) or Chelsea (Same as Mancini after the amount of p they dropped on him). Not sure if he would return to Liverpool but you never know. Maybe Tottenham will shortlist him when Arry leaves, would be a big tactical jump going from ''Go out and ave fan lads'' to deep detailed plans on the opponents.

Can't lie I miss him a little bit. Was an interesting character and a good battle for Fergie, Dalglish just isn't the same

:lol: :lol:

i don't like him much, he seems to have adopted all the characteristics of scourers i loathe...

but i don't blame him for not take those jobs.

he probs just wants to rescue his reputation and make his comeback winning things, not languishing mid table at a team no-one really cares about

i think it's pretty obvious he wants to come back to the Prem, it'll just be a waiting game on his part and seeing if the right job comes about

Former Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez says he would be interested in the England job when Fabio Capello leaves, but he is also eyeing the role with the Spanish team.

The Spanish tactician has been out of football management since leaving Italian champions Inter Milanspacer.giflast December.

Benitez,spacer.gif who was the Reds manager from 2004-10 and won the UEFA Champions Leaguespacer.gif in 2005, says he would be interested in the England and Spain jobs if they became available.

He would also manage a club side - but only one which could challenge for the highest honours.

Regarding the England and Spain jobs, Benitez told Sky Sports News: "Yes, why not? Everyone is asking you in Spain 'Do you want to be the manager in the future?'

"And in England now everybody is talking about the position of Capello.spacer.gif

"I think you have to respect the managers - that is the first thing - they are working and they have to carry on and see what happens in the future.

"But, as a manager, always you are thinking about to have a big challenge like Spain or England but we have to wait."

Great opportunities

Benitez says he has had some great opportunities to get back into management but they have not been with the right team.

"When you are looking for something now, after winning the Champions League or winning trophies in Spain and everywhere, you say 'I want someone that can give me a project to win the Champions League again, to win the Premier League'.

"The option to fight and to improve a team but to have the possibility to challenge."

Asked if he had his eye on anything, he replied: "I have had some offers in Asia, in Russia, in South America.spacer.gif

"You always talk about big money not in this country but my priority is in Europe - the Premier League was the first idea.

"If we don't have any option, a club that will be at the maximum level, then we will find another one."