Man City & Arsenal To ''Fight It Out For Reus''

Mame Biram Diouf

Marco-Reus.jpg

Borussia Monchengladbach midfielder Marco Reus is a January transfer target for both Manchester City and Arsenal, according to The Mirror.

The two English sides have been keeping a close eye on Reus, 22, recently and reports in the German media suggest both will be making bids when the transfer window reopens.

Monchengladbach value the player at around £15 million and could be keen to sell, with the player having just two years remaining on his contract and attracting interest all across Europe.

Bayern Munich are also believed to be interested, but less willing to pay the proposed fee for Reus, who made his debut for Germany against Turkey last month.

He scored 11 goals in 34 Bundesliga games for Monchengladbach last season, and is best known for his explosive acceleration and excellent ball control.

Guy is dirty, right not I would take him over Gotze (has better mentality), can see Wengers reason for signing him (cheaper option)

He must have got them FM messages ''transfer story leaked''

Would love to see him in the Prem, but Dortmund said they will not sell Gotze directly to Bayern, which means Bayern will probably target Reus

Would be sick for Arsenal, sign Reus and get rid of Arshavin

Man City just don't need him, but they will at least raise the price to annoy everyone else

:lol: :lol:

Coach Lucien Favre believes next season is too soon for Borussia Monchengladbach youngster Marco Reus to join a high-profile club such as Arsenal or Bayern Munich.

"He needs a basis to perfect his game," said Favre to the Bild newspaper. "He has that here with Borussia and Marco can become more complete here.

"He knows that and this is also what he wants."

Reus is reported to have a clause in his contract that enables him to switch clubs for a fee of €18million, but Favre says his side does not necessarily have to sell the talented midfielder - nor does Reus have to accept the riches offered elsewhere.

"I think that a transfer now would be too soon for him," added Favre.

"It would be good for Marco to stay one or two years here and, who knows? Maybe we will be up at the top the anyway.

"I think he can turn them down."

However, Favre knows Arsenal are already monitoring the midfielder's progress.

Interest

"[Former Arsenal goalkeeper] Jens Lehmann gave him [Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger] a tip to keep an eye on Marco and Arsene then called me," revealed the Swiss coach.

"I know Arsene very well and I just told him the truth: that Marco is a very, very interesting player.

"But I am coach of Monchengladbach and I would like to keep hold of him."

Manchester City's technical director Mike Rigg has confirmed the club's interest in German starlet Marco Reus.

The 22-year-old is emerging as one of the best prospects in the Bundesliga and made his debut for the national side earlier this season.

Arsenalspacer.gif have been tipped off about him by their former goalkeeper Jens Lehmann,spacer.gif but now City have admitted they are very much keeping a watching brief on Reus.

"I know Marco, because I like him a lot,' Rigg told Bild.

"He is one of the most talented players you have in Germany and we have watched him very often."

Reus is contracted to Borussia until 2015, but it is widely reported that an €18million release clause kicks in from next summer.

• 1 year later...

Moyes eyes free-scoring Dortmund midfielder

Manchester United are weighing up an ambitious move in January for Marco Reus, the Borussia Dortmund midfielder, as part of a deal that could lead to Shinji Kagawa returning to the German club.

The Barclays Premier League champions are keen to strengthen their squad and have identified Reus as one of several leading targets whom they believe could address their shortage of goals from midfield.

Reus, an attacking midfielder who can also operate out wide, scored 19 times for Dortmund last season and is widely regarded as one of the most outstanding young players in Europe.

The 24-year-old, who has 3½ years left to run on a contract that is reported to include a buy-out clause of €35 million (about £29 million), also has seven goals in 17 appearances for Germany and has been linked with several leading European clubs.

United have been busy scouting Reus and are thought to be exploring thefeasibility of taking the player to Old Trafford as part of a cash-plus-player swap deal involving Kagawa. The Japan midfielder has struggled to make an impression at United since being signed by Sir Alex Ferguson for a projected fee of £17.6 million in June last year after helping Dortmund to back-to-back Bundesliga titles.

Kagawa’s debut season was largely disrupted by injury and he has yet to cement a first-team place under David Moyes, Ferguson’s successor.

With Wayne Rooney in outstanding form playing in the hole behind Robin van Persie, Kagawa has had little opportunity to operate in his preferred central position and has looked uneasy deployed on the left flank. He has started three of United’s four Champions League matches this season, but the club are thought to harbour wider concerns about his suitability for the Premier League.

Moyes praised Kagawa’s performance in the 1-0 win at home to Arsenal on Sunday, when United moved to within five points of the league leaders, but it was only the third time the Japanese had started a league game this term.

Jürgen Klopp, the Dortmund coach, admitted over the summer that he had inquired about whether Kagawa would be interested in returning to the Westfalenstadion in the wake of Mario Götze’s decision to leave Dortmund for Bayern Munich. He was also reported to have said in May that it hurt to see “one of the best players in the world [playing] 20 minutes at Manchester United on the left wing”.

Ilkay Gundogan, Reus’s Dortmund and Germany team-mate, has also been scouted by United but the extent of their interest in the defensive midfielder is unclear.

United could also move in January for Luke Shaw, the Southampton and England Under-21 left back, who is considered a more attainable target than Leighton Baines, of Everton.

Moyes will accelerate the rebuilding process in the summer, when a number of players, including Anderson, the midfielder, are expected to leave. Eliaquim Mangala, the Porto centre half, is a potential replacement for Rio Ferdinand, although competition for the Frenchman is fierce, with Manchester City and Chelsea also interested.

Nemanja Vidic was discharged from hospital yesterday after suffering concussion and being substituted against Arsenal with what Moyes described as an “horrific-looking” head injury.

Don't want

Rather Moyes signs players he know how to use

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...