Henry back training with Arsenal

TF S4DK

Jamie McDonald

Arsene Wenger says Theo Walcott can fire Arsenal to the title – and stop him making a big mistake in January.

Wenger admits he needs more firepower to strengthen his squad, but warned he is reluctant to buy big in the winter transfer window because it can be littered with expensive mistakes.

The Gunners boss believes England winger Walcott and Lukas Podolski can provide back-up for to Olivier Giroud.

That message will disappoint Arsenal fans who were hoping for a big signing in January to lift their title challenge , with the club looking at Karim Benzema, Edin Dzeko and Diego Costa as potential targets.

But Wenger said: “Theo gives us qualities that other players haven’t got. It’s a different option. Theo also gives us an opportunity to be a mobile striker. If we lose Giroud today we have nobody with body weight up front.

“I think we can win the title without signing a striker. Podolski is not back but he shouldn’t be too far now. They make it less critical to sign a striker.

“Look I am not against it (January signing). I don’t say I never make a mistake - I certainly made some. Sometimes it is because we didn’t sign the right player.

“It is always difficult in the middle of the season. If somebody is doing well somewhere the clubs do not necessarily want to sell him. They can wait until the end of the season. Most of the time it is because we didn’t find.”

lurch-head-shake-o.gif

To a certain extent I agree, well not the part about winning the title but the fact that we are probably the strongest we can possibly (potentially) be for this season

Just thinking who could we bring in that could have such an impact THIS SEASON that could improve the team.

The only players that come to mind are

Suarez

Aguero

RVP

None of which are happening. 

Any other player would be highly unlikely to make such an immediate impact this season

on finding strikers…

I have said many times that Europe still produces many fantastic football players, but if you look well we do not produce strikers well. vVery few, all of the big strikers come from South America. In the summer, you had Falcao going to Monaco, Cavani going to PSG in a big transfer, Suarez everybody wanted to buy him, Higuain has gone to Napoli for a lot of money, but in Europe that is an area where it is difficult to find. In Germany, I can remember in every club you had a big striker, they produced some fantastic ones, but they do not produce young strikers. Is that a consequence of the way we coach? Of modern life? I do not know.

:rofl:

Went off on a tangent.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...