Mario Gotze

TF S4DK

Arsene Wenger is lining up a stunning £30million January move for German wunderkind Mario Gotze.

The Borussia Dortmund forward, 19, has long been the Gunners' number one transfer target - so it is the size of the deal that is the major surprise.

Arsenal are desperate to make a move for Gotze in January, and steal a march on the likes of Real Madrid and Bayern Munich. Dortmund have insisted that their young star is not for sale and do not want to do a deal in January, but that will not stop the Gunners trying to broker an agreement. The move is designed as a statement of intent aimed at the likes of Robin van Persie, who currently only has 18 months left on his contract.

Arsenal want to prove they are determined to try to compete at the highest level and are ready to spend big money. Gotze would be a top quality signing who could push them on towards finishing in the Champions League qualification places.

Arsenal made an enquiry about him in the summer, but it is believed they left it too late to get a deal done in time. This time, they are keen to get a package together and believe Gotze is interested, despite strong competition from other major clubs.

Wenger has yet to even break the £20m barrier in his 15 years at Arsenal, but the club are now ready to make a splash.

The Gunners have also been scouting Cologne and Germany striker Lukas Podolski, who would cost around £20m.

They also tracked Lille forward Eden Hazard - and would have paid more than £20m for the Belgian - and French midfielder Yann M’Vila in the summer, but could not seal either deal.

The pursuit of Gotze could spell the end for Andrey Arshavin, who has 18 months left on his contract and has been relegated recently to being just a bit-part player.

It also shows that Wenger has the support of the board to go and buy big names and build for the future, which is a positive sign about his long-term position.

• Downvote 3

Now that we've entered December

Wouldn't it make sense for us to reopen the legendary Arsenal transfer topic?

Hence me starting this topic and lol at the other two mugs that followed Tulse, at least Tulse has a reason as I fucked his mum.

Fact is Arsenal are going to be linked to Gotze for a while. So you can discuss it here.

For those who wanted Podolski...

Lukas Podolski has encouraged Arsenal to keep up their pursuit by describing Arsene Wenger's side as a 'top club'.

Wenger is keen to sign the Germany striker from Cologne for £20million in January amid uncertainty about Robin van Persie's future at the club.

Podolski has been dismayed by his side's poor performances and talks to extend his contract beyond 2013 have stalled.

Asked about Arsenal's interest, the 26-year-old said with a smile: 'Arsenal are a top club. They have a good team and play right at the top level in England.'

Cologne are just five points off the bottom of the Bundesliga after losing four of their last six games. They are already out of the German cup and are not playing in Europe this season, which is a far cry from the level of club Podolski thought he was joining when he left Bayern Munich in 2009. Earlier this week he admitted he could his hometown club, saying: 'My family and friends may live here, but if I am in top condition, then I think I could fit into any side in Europe. I am not forced to stay only in Cologne.'

Lille striker Moussa Sow wants to join his former team-mate Gervinho at Arsenal.

The 25-year-old Senegal international claims talks over a new deal at the French club have broken down and admits he dreams of moving to the Barclays Premier League.

Arsene Wenger splashed out £10.7million on Sow's former playing partner Gervinho last summer, and also had Sow watched before making his move.

Gervinho has struggled for goals since his move but has clear potential, but Robin van Persie is under pressure to provide the majority of Arsenal's firepower, with Marouane Chamakh and Park Chu-young failing to inspire.

And Sow, who has 29 goals in 48 games for Lille since moving from Rennes in 2008, believes he can be the answer to the Gunners' problems.

Sow told French radio: 'I have a contract signed until June 2013 and Lille want me to sign another one but the negotiations have stopped.

'I don't accept the conditions or the silence from the club. That's not me putting on pressure, just the truth.

'I'm only thinking about football and it's not possible to leave in January.

'But my dream is to play in the Premier League because you progress as a player with the atmosphere, goals and game.

'I watch the games with envy on TV. I desire to play there one day. Arsenal are a big club but we will see.'

I think he meant Sow.

Ryo will play soon I think as barring a great offer (Prem team). Preparation for Gervinho leaving for ACN means Arshavin becomes a starter, Benayoun/Rosicky will be ready to replace him off the bench after 55 minutes, and Oxlade gets on the bench, Ryo will be next up after him.

Arsenal have been told they will have to smash their transfer record to land Borussia Dortmund playmaker Mario Gotze.

The Gunners were hoping to agree a £25m fee now and tie up the deal when the transfer window re-opens in January – but the Bundesliga champions have told them they will not accept anything less than £30m.

Arsene Wenger, keen to add quality to his midfield following the summer departures of Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri, is desperate to land one of the hottest talents in Europe and has made his move now in a bid to head off interest from Manchester United, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich.

The potential signing of Gotze and other quality additions to the squad could be seen as a real statement of intent and Wenger hopes it could also persuade skipper Robin van Persie to commit his long-term future to the club.

Van Persie, who has been in formidable form this year, has 18 months left on his current contract and is expected to leave next summer if they fail to qualify for the Champions League next season.

• 3 months later...
Borussia Dortmund announced on Tuesday that their highly rated midfielder Mario Götze has signed an extension to his contract, which ties him to the Bundesliga club until 2016. Arsenal were one of several clubs interested in Götze and the news will be a blow to Arsène Wenger, who had seen the 19-year-old as a key part of the rebuilding of his Arsenal squad.

"Everyone knows how happy I am here and I want to be part of this project," said Götze, who was instrumental in bringing the German championship to the Westfalen Stadion last season and who has already won 12 caps for Germany.

The sporting director, Michael Zorc, added: "We are very pleased that we are taking a step into the future together with Mario."

Götze is set to return to training after two months out because of a stress fracture of the pubic bone. The Dortmund manager, Jürgen Klopp, said yesterday that he hopes to be able to call on Götze for some part of the run-in. "We still have to keep an eye on the way Mario's body reacts to stress on a day-by-day basis," Klopp said.

Borussia Dortmund have already signed one of the most sought-after players in Germany for next season, with Marco Reus agreeing a five-year deal in January.