Women who earn more than their man/husband will be pissed

MARLO STANSFIELD

Before you read this I did try to change the font size but it wasn't working for some reason (my apologies)

here is the link if you find it easier

http://www.nypost.co...&obref=obinsite

interesting article

Saw this and then remembered how some of you felt about being taken for your assets if a womans divorces you etc but NOW its the other way round, this is likely to get worse as time goes on, I wonder how women will feel about marriage 10 years from now if this persists.

SAN DIEGO — First, Crystal Harris was sexually assaulted by her husband — and now she’s being attacked once again by a California court.

Because of a bizarre legal loophole, Harris, 39, was ordered to pay $1,000 a month in spousal support to her now-ex, Shawn Harris.

“As soon as he gets out of prison for raping me, I have to start writing him checks! What a thing to choke on!” Harris told The Post in her first extended interview.

Shawn Harris, 41, was convicted on Jan. 24 of forced oral copulation, attacking his wife in 2008 while their children listened to her cries from an upstairs bedroom.

Harris was also ordered by San Diego Superior Court Judge Gregory Pollack to cough up $47,000 to repay the money Shawn Harris spent on divorce lawyers to win the alimony.

“I keep thinking, ‘When am I going to wake up from this nightmare?’ ” said Harris, a financial adviser for a brokerage firm who earns about $120,000 a year and is struggling to raise two sons and pay a mountain of legal bills.

The ruling — legal experts believe it is the first US case where a sex victim has been forced to pay her convicted attacker — has outraged advocates in California, who say the jurist acted without a shred of common sense. And it chilled New York observers, who note that judges here have even more discretion — and less statutory guidance — in such cases.

Pollack noted when he first ruled last year that California family law dictates alimony is not justified in cases where a person attempts to murder a spouse. But because the law spells out no other crimes, Pollack said he was using judicial discretion to rule against Crystal Harris.

“I can’t look at a 12-year marriage where one side is making $400 a month, the other side is making over $11,000, and say no spousal support,” he said in court.

But once Shawn Harris was officially convicted in January, Crystal Harris naturally thought that meant the spousal support order would be null and void.

She was wrong.

Pollack said she didn’t have to pay while Shawn Harris was in prison and taken care of by taxpayers, but would be entitled to the money upon his release in 2014.

Crystal Harris met her future spouse in 1993 while working part-time at a Tex-Mex restaurant in Carlsbad. She had just finished a finance degree at California Polytechnic State University and was starting to get offers from brokerage firms. He was a math major and baseball player at Christ College in Irvine. They married in 1996.

“Shawn had been a powerful pitcher and athlete, and his size and strength intimidated people,” Crystal said.

Two years into their marriage, Shawn struck her for the first time. “We were having an argument in the car and he backhanded me,” she said.

In 2002, Crystal Harris gave birth to the couple’s first son. “I made more money than him, so he was the one who quit work to stay at home,” she said. “And Shawn didn’t deal with it well.”

The police were called to the Harris home numerous times between 2003 and 2007.

“I called 911 every time he hit me and I threatened divorce a lot,” she recalled. “But really, when our second son was born in 2005, I knew I was stuck.”

A few weeks before the 2008 attack, “he told me he would kill me if I ever called the police again . . . I ordered a gun.”

A couple of days before the firearm was delivered, she said, a suddenly raging Shawn approached her in the bedroom.

“He wanted to have sex and I said no. He kept saying, ‘This is not up for negotiation.’ He was pushing my head down.”

Harris realized she had a tape recorder in her dresser drawer. While pretending to get fresh underwear, she found the device and pressed record.

Although Shawn Harris claimed it was consensual sexual role-playing, the recording nailed him.

Jurors listened to a fraught Harris saying, “No,” more than 50 times. He was sentenced to six years in prison.

Judge Pollack has yet to comment outside of court on his ruling, which stunned many in the legal community.

“I’ve heard of a lot of egregious things that judges have done, but this is at the top of the list,” said Sondra Miller, a former Family Court judge in Westchester. “What an outrage.”

Experts warn that similar cases could surface as more husbands are convicted of spousal rape, something unheard of just a few decades ago, and with many women now earning more than their husbands.

Family law is more stringent in California than New York. The code Judge Pollack initially cited isn’t even on the books in New York.

“New York family law judges follow equity law, meaning they have the power to do what they think is right. Judges simply have more discretion here,” explained Manhattan divorce lawyer Raoul Felder.

“Are there crazy judges in New York like this one?” he asked. “Let’s hope not!”

Guest PROFIT MARGINS

Judge should have ordered him to have to pay her the exact same amount a month for compensation for the rape as way round this loophole so she wouldn't end up paying him anything

• Downvote 1

I'm not sure this is actually funny I'm more highlighting what is happening to marriage, it was something many men including myself are or used to be very suspicious about in terms of a womans intentions but here we have women who are now being hit by the same law that helps women land on their feed in divorce (typically)

with women on this whole "independent woman" wave one minute and then "chivalry when she hasn't got much" mentality I THINK this will deter them from marriage especially as they believe they are so much more accomplished then men (remember my other topic?)

oh and John Doe, of late most if not all of the topics I have put up have titles which were from the articles themselves I didn't sensationalize anything its not that deep its just vip forums.

• Upvote 1

they will always use the emotion shit when it suits. Just cos the man got convicted doesnt mean its the full story

i always believe a woman is given a good sign of a wife beater before they marry (unless they do a britney spears)

so all that rape shit to me is fraff. pay up

men have to pay up if the wife cheats or is on some madness so why should it be different now unles they change the law so that both parties are ok

• Upvote 3

Certain man will get a kick out of this kind of thing and when I say kick im talking the bum types that move from their mums house and move in with their chick breed her up and play Cod while their chick works at lambeth council doing procurement. On the flip side it find it funny said chicks have such man but when it goes tits up (and go tits up it WILL ) you can bet some guys on some bitch tip will milk it.

As marvel said though man have to do it so its time to enjoy the sweat taste of EQUALITY.

• 2 weeks later...

Lol where have u plucked that life from?

So if ur wife is in prison for say your attempted murder do u still have to pay her support?

if she files for divorce after the attempted murder and she has more money than You, yes. it's a civil case, and has nothing to do with the criminal case.

she might use attempted murder it as grounds for the divorce, and they would definitely grant her it, but as per any divorce, property has to be divided evenly

/

these laws are even between the sexes, don't know why women would be surprised

same way if I ever win a custody case, I'd be takin babymum to CSA. and what!