Contractors

Swiftie

• 2 months later...

I'd be interested to hear about what contractors on here would say the pros and cons of contract work are.

I'm a software developer currently and I'm fulltime. I get about £2k a month after tax. I'm thinking of going contracting because:

I think it will lead to more varied work

I think it will mean working on more exciting projects with modern development processes

I have no real commitments (no kids, etc)

I want more than 25 days a year holiday

And of course money

How long have you been doing it for? What are the pros and cons?

I'd be interested to hear about what contractors on here would say the pros and cons of contract work are.

I'm a software developer currently and I'm fulltime. I get about £2k a month after tax. I'm thinking of going contracting because:

I think it will lead to more varied work

I think it will mean working on more exciting projects with modern development processes

I have no real commitments (no kids, etc)

I want more than 25 days a year holiday

And of course money

How long have you been doing it for? What are the pros and cons?

You will be exposed to more technnologies etc quicker, 3 month contract here, 5 month there. Thus building up your skillset and making you more attractive to possible employers.

You get paid more than perm staff, but remember you will not get the benefits. Paid holiday, benefits such pension, insurance etc.If yor getting over 2k in a perm role, you will get a very good amount as a Contractor.

Ive been doing it for about 7 years now, been using a umbrella compan (Parasol) all that time but will be using my own ltd company from April

Will be taking home about 80-90% of my contract for being a Ltd company

Safe for the responses. How much a year do you think you'll be paying an account when you go ltd?

You mean paying for an accountant ?

Yeah I don't mean employing one.

I mean pay an accounting firm to handle your returns and tax affairs.

The contractors at my work reckon they pay about £700 a year but say it's worth it because of the money they save in tax

I went limited, I use Nixon Williams accountants.

Pretty straight forward really. Nixon done most of it created the company, registered me for VAT with HMRC.

All I had to do was setup business bank account, sign a few forms and get my agency to redo my contract as I no longer using Parasol. It is between my Client and DG Ltd.

If your gonna do it make sure you get your contract checked to ensure that you fall outside the IR35 rules. I used a company called QDS who reviewed my contract and I also purchased insurance from them.

• Upvote 1

I went limited, I use Nixon Williams accountants.

Pretty straight forward really. Nixon done most of it created the company, registered me for VAT with HMRC.

All I had to do was setup business bank account, sign a few forms and get my agency to redo my contract as I no longer using Parasol. It is between my Client and DG Ltd.

If your gonna do it make sure you get your contract checked to ensure that you fall outside the IR35 rules. I used a company called QDS who reviewed my contract and I also purchased insurance from them.

What's the outlay for all the checks and initial setup assistance?

Accountancy fee - £114 per month. I am with Nixon Williams

Ideminty Insurance - £104 per year, includes contract review to see if you fall inside/outside IR35. I dne this with QDS.

Business bank fee - ???, some banks charge for business accounts. But many accoutants have links with bank so you will never be charged. Nixon Williams has a link with HSBC and Cater Allen

These are claimable as expenses.

The company setup and VAT registration is all setup by your Accountant.

This is a forum I use - http://forums.contractoruk.com/

Safe for all the info, really useful. I'd heard about IR35, but didn't know that you could get companies to check contracts for you.

You finding the P is good?

From the illustrations that my accountant has given me, I should be takng home £800-£900 more dependant on my expenses.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...