free newsgroup???

Hank Moody

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I messed up lol I was talking about searching.

You need a client (Program) as you have a MAC then you can use what I use - Sabnzbd. This is what you use to download Nzb's (files)

You need a newsgroup provider, some are free like Virgins or you can pay like Giganews. The newsgroup provider allows you to access the files. The reason you would pay for a newsgroup provider is that you can access files that have been posted ages ago. Many free ones only allow you to download files that are 30 days old. This is called retention.

I use Giganews as it has a high retention rate.

One you have your client and newsreader, you need to enter your newsreader account details within the client. Usually username, password, hostname, ports.

You would then use various NZB (file) search sites, such as Binsearch. You search for a file you want. Select the NZB to save on your machine, double click and it will open in your client and begin the downloading. Similar to how you would download Torrents.

• Upvote 2

this is the site I use but there are many many more

http://nzbmatrix.com/index.php had to pay 7 to become a VIP for 10 years and download old files

/

you're right in terms of what you need, but free a provider usually means you can't download files older than 20 - 30 days and there's usually a speed/usage limit

depends on what you want but for me was easier to just pay for one, astraweb's prices are decent depending on whether you want monthly or per limit (e.g. 180GB no time limit)

hope that answered at least some of your questions

• 2 months later...

just paid for nzbmatrix £7 looks a good investment tbh

yeah i dunno gayle binsearch was good but i was getting a bit frustrated as sometimes files were not the proper thing after i had downloaded them and other times my avg was flagging stuff

maybe its good for what you use it for but for books, vsts and more obscure stuff it was abit hit and miss at times is all

• 1 month later...