Can You Speak Another Language

Mr. Gayle

my spanish is up there, not 100% fluent

my french is good too, not as good as spanish

i reckon with 6 months in each country i will be 100%

gayle u should join a language exchange group if u wanna learn, speakin is the best way to solidify ur knowledge

Been learning Portuguese almost a year now. Get to practice quite a bit at work since so many Brazilian customers come in. The one moment where I had a real sense of achievement was when I helped my friend out with some customers and realised I didn't need to think about what I had to say as much. Right now I pretty much have a decent enough handling over the grammar and need to just expand my vocabulary. Ideally I want to find a job in Brazil for like 5 months to get fluent or so and then come back and begin with Spanish even though I can understand some stuff. I'm going to carnival in Brazil for 2014 anyways but if I can hit there at that time fluent it would be even better.

• Upvote 1

Is rosetta stone any good?

Depends on the language and what proficiency you require.

Day to day stuff - it will suit you fine.

Speak the language fluently - unlikely through rosetta stone content alone

I'm in the process of picking-up German for work. Did it at various different stages of education and didn't particularly want to do it again but spanish is looking unlikely now..

Your reaction is the initial reason why I stopped learning the language.

Figured I didn't want to live in Germany and thats the only country where the language will REALLY be relevant...

Till I visited Munich, Stuttgart, Dusseldorf & Berlin.

I could f*ck with them places at least for a little bit, not to mention Benelux, Switzerland and Austria.

The company we merged with have offices all over the gaffe, seems silly to pick up a brand new language when I could work on one I already have experience in (but spanish/portuguese is a must for 2014)

Rosetta Stone is pretty good but you need to speak to actual speakers of the language to learn norms, slang, a better understanding of grammar and all that jazz. However, outside of that, it works very well IMO. Gives you a decent grounding.