Overrated players that are considered great?

CrillzCity

IMO Roy Keane was a good player but technically was not great, his passing range was average, shooting technique was below average i can't recall him scoring many goals outside the box, his goal ratio was not that good and his assists ratio was not good. Didn't score many headers his strength was tackling and breaking up play and energy but even when it comes to tackling there were better players if Roy Keane is no better than players like Scott Parker who has much better shooting ability but is just as good as him at tackling. While players like Gerrard are much superior way ahead of Keane, Gerrards shooting technique, passing range, goal scoring and assist ratio are top notch and on top of that Gerrard is just as good at tackling as Keane was.

• Downvote 5

parker better than keane :rofl:

• Upvote 3

IMO Roy Keane was a good player but technically was not great, his passing range was average, shooting technique was below average i can't recall him scoring many goals outside the box, his goal ratio was not that good and his assists ratio was not good. Didn't score many headers his strength was tackling and breaking up play and energy but even when it comes to tackling there were better players if Roy Keane is no better than players like Scott Parker who has much better shooting ability but is just as good as him at tackling. While players like Gerrard are much superior way ahead of Keane, Gerrards shooting technique, passing range, goal scoring and assist ratio are top notch and on top of that Gerrard is just as good at tackling as Keane was.

el-meme-mother-of-god-animado.gif

• Upvote 1

1) Roy Keane, Juventus 2-3 MANCHESTER UNITED, Champions League semi-final, 21/04/1999

Roy Keane has always inspired an almost dangerously intense, Tyler Durdenish devotion among his disciples, and so it is that mention of Turin makes thousands of grown men - the sort who wouldn't flinch at a funeral - go misty-eyed . Yet as outstanding as Keane was in Turin, it's arguable that: a) he has played better; and B) the majority misunderstand the nature of his performance. When people think of Keane they think of a defensive midfielder, shutting down opposition teams through either snarling desire (see Arsenal in January 2000) or forensic intelligence (Liverpool in the 1996 FA Cup final, his best performance in the opinion of some).

In Turin, however, his most significant contribution was offensive: not just his richly symbolic goal to get United back in the contest, but his rhythmic, hypnotic passing, particularly at 2-0 down, that got United going and broke the will of Juventus, who looked into his eyes and saw only an absolute certainty that United would go through. They would have been less scared had Keyser Söze walked on to the pitch.

That's the paradox: Keane did his very best work at 2-0, yet we hear constantly of how he reacted to knowing he wouldn't be able to play in the final – the result of a booking at 2-1. Sir Alex Ferguson said he "felt it was an honour to be associated with such a player," but the suspicion lingers that, had he not been booked, we would not have heard nearly as much about this performance. Indeed Tuttosport, able to appraise the game free of sentiment, concentrated on the football genius of – and you'll like this – Andy Cole, who they said produced "a truly wonderful display of football". Keane himself called the fuss "embarrassing", an appraisal we can only partly ascribe to self-deprecation. Not that it matters: the legend of Turin will only grow and grow.

Did i say Parker was better than Keane? i said Parkers shooting technique is better than Keanes and that isn't cos Parker is a top level at that it is more so Keane not being good at all as far as long distance shooting is concerned. IMO Parkers tackling, energy and breaking up play is just as good as Keanes.

• Downvote 1

Did i say Parker was better than Keane? i said Parkers shooting technique is better than Keanes and that isn't cos Parker is a top level at that it is more so Keane not being good at all as far as long distance shooting is concerned. IMO Parkers tackling, energy and breaking up play is just as good as Keanes.

Football is as much about circumstance as it is about talent

Keane >>>>>>>> Viera >>>>>>> Gerrard >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> _____________ >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Parker

Always and forever

You think any team can be so successful with an overrated player helping the team defend while Scholes, Giggs, Beckham, Cole and Yorke are bombing forward?

His passing wasn't Scholesque but it was good, could tackle, decent dribbling, read the game brilliantly, had a decent shot too from outside the box

The passion and tenancity >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

TBH Keane was not a footballer he was a LEADER a CAPTAIN

Every team needs someone like him, stands up and is counted

Keane >>>>>>>> Viera >>>>>>> Gerrard >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> _____________ >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Parker

Always and forever

You think any team can be so successful with an overrated player helping the team defend while Scholes, Giggs, Beckham, Cole and Yorke are bombing forward?

His passing wasn't Scholesque but it was good, could tackle, decent dribbling, read the game brilliantly, had a decent shot too from outside the box

LOOL

Fakk off. Viera eats Keane on a regular.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Always and forever

A bunch of rubbish here.

Were discussing talent, Gerrard hasn't had the fortune of playing in a team that comprised of Scholes, Giggs Beckham, Yorke and Cole, if he did he would have had as much medals as Keane.

Funny the argument always reverts back to him being a great leader, being a great captain and all that other nonsense, the same criteria United fans use to argue why Cantona is the best striker of the premier league era, because they know if they argued on a straight footballing level they would fall short.

Viera>Gerrrard>>>>>>>>>>>>>Keane

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

el-meme-mother-of-god-animado.gif

You seriously gonna act like Roy Keane had good passing range where he could pass the ball pin point 30, 40, 50 yards or make killer passes that split open defences? you gonna act like most Keane passes weren't simple 5-10 yard passes sidways? you gonna act like Keane scored goals outside the box with good striking ability/technique? you gonna act like Keane scored atleast 10 goals every season? you gonna act like Keane had a great first touch?

Like i said if you take Keane for what he is a player that breaks up play, tackles, blocks, and plays with energy then he did that well consistantly.

You sound upset because he disrespected King Kenneth?

“Keane is the hottest prospect in football right now,” Brian Clough said of Roy in his last season at Nottingham Forest.

Jack Walker was trying to buy Blackburn success, something he would later go on to achieve, and Kenny Dalglish identified Keane as the man to take the club forward in 1993. Initially speaking to the player whilst under contract and behind the back of his club,

Blackburn beat off interest from Arsenal, and went on to have a bid of £4m accepted.

It was Friday afternoon, Dalglish wanted the paperwork on the deal to go through, but there was no one still around in the Ewood Park offices so Keane couldn’t sign. No big deal, thought the Scot, it will wait until Monday.

However, Sir Alex Ferguson had just helped Manchester United win their first title in 26 years and was looking to take the team forward. Captain Bryan Robson was on his last legs and we would need someone else to fight our battles in the centre of the park.

Why Fergie hadn’t spotted Keane before then is a puzzle but the manager got him on the phone on Sunday lunch time.

After establishing that nothing had been signed with Blackburn, Ferguson invited Keane to Manchester. The manager met Roy at the airport and drove him to his house where they played a game of snooker.

“I liked him straight away,” said Roy. “For a man managing Manchester United, he was unaffected, funny and reassuringly human.

He was also clearly hungry for more trophies. There were a few obstacles to overcome before a deal could be done. We agreed that I would tell Dalglish our deal was off.”

Unsurprisingly, King Kenny wasn’t too pleased to hear that Sir Alex had snatched his star man from under his nose. In his autobiography, Keane reflected on that conversation:

“What the f*ck do you mean? We shook hands on a deal. You can’t back out now.”

“Look, I’m sorry, I really am,” I told him, “but I’ve got my future to think about, I’m entitled to that.”

“You’re entitled to nothing except the commitment you made to me on Friday.”

“I’m sorry, if you’d had the forms ready, I would have signed on Friday.”

“Nobody does this to me, nobody does this to Kenny Dalglish. You’re a wee bastard and you won’t get away with this.” Kenny wasn’t cool any longer.

I felt very uneasy about the situation. But here was Kenny Dalglish insisting that I honour a deal I hadn’t signed. The same Kenny Dalglish who’d spent several months “tapping” me up behind Brian Clough’s back. The more he swore at me, the less my conscience bothered me.

Dalglish wasn’t finished there though. The following day, 6.30 in the morning, the Scot was back on the phone:

“You won’t get away with this,” he began. “Blackburn Rovers will sue you for every penny you’ve got.” He and Ferguson had never got on and this more than anything appeared to be bugging him. He called me names. He repeated that nobody “f*cked” with Kenny Dalglish and “got away with it”. I told him I was going on holiday and that the matter was closed as far as I was concerned.

• Upvote 1

You sound upset because he disrespected King Kenneth?

“Keane is the hottest prospect in football right now,” Brian Clough said of Roy in his last season at Nottingham Forest.

Jack Walker was trying to buy Blackburn success, something he would later go on to achieve, and Kenny Dalglish identified Keane as the man to take the club forward in 1993. Initially speaking to the player whilst under contract and behind the back of his club,

Blackburn beat off interest from Arsenal, and went on to have a bid of £4m accepted.

It was Friday afternoon, Dalglish wanted the paperwork on the deal to go through, but there was no one still around in the Ewood Park offices so Keane couldn’t sign. No big deal, thought the Scot, it will wait until Monday.

However, Sir Alex Ferguson had just helped Manchester United win their first title in 26 years and was looking to take the team forward. Captain Bryan Robson was on his last legs and we would need someone else to fight our battles in the centre of the park.

Why Fergie hadn’t spotted Keane before then is a puzzle but the manager got him on the phone on Sunday lunch time.

After establishing that nothing had been signed with Blackburn, Ferguson invited Keane to Manchester. The manager met Roy at the airport and drove him to his house where they played a game of snooker.

“I liked him straight away,” said Roy. “For a man managing Manchester United, he was unaffected, funny and reassuringly human.

He was also clearly hungry for more trophies. There were a few obstacles to overcome before a deal could be done. We agreed that I would tell Dalglish our deal was off.”

Unsurprisingly, King Kenny wasn’t too pleased to hear that Sir Alex had snatched his star man from under his nose. In his autobiography, Keane reflected on that conversation:

“What the f*ck do you mean? We shook hands on a deal. You can’t back out now.”

“Look, I’m sorry, I really am,” I told him, “but I’ve got my future to think about, I’m entitled to that.”

“You’re entitled to nothing except the commitment you made to me on Friday.”

“I’m sorry, if you’d had the forms ready, I would have signed on Friday.”

“Nobody does this to me, nobody does this to Kenny Dalglish. You’re a wee bastard and you won’t get away with this.” Kenny wasn’t cool any longer.

I felt very uneasy about the situation. But here was Kenny Dalglish insisting that I honour a deal I hadn’t signed. The same Kenny Dalglish who’d spent several months “tapping” me up behind Brian Clough’s back. The more he swore at me, the less my conscience bothered me.

Dalglish wasn’t finished there though. The following day, 6.30 in the morning, the Scot was back on the phone:

“You won’t get away with this,” he began. “Blackburn Rovers will sue you for every penny you’ve got.” He and Ferguson had never got on and this more than anything appeared to be bugging him. He called me names. He repeated that nobody “f*cked” with Kenny Dalglish and “got away with it”. I told him I was going on holiday and that the matter was closed as far as I was concerned.

Not really.

Most of our passing started off and went through Roy Keane

He was good enough to dictate tempos of games

You dont stay at Man Utd for that long if your passing is like Garreth Barrys

Just because he wasnt spraying the ball 70 yards like Xavi Alonso doesn't mean he could not pass quality

LOL @ only passed sideways

How many times did you watch him play?

• Upvote 1

Most of our passing started off and went through Roy Keane

He was good enough to dictate tempos of games

You dont stay at Man Utd for that long if your passing is like Garreth Barrys

Just because he wasnt spraying the ball 70 yards like Xavi Alonso doesn't mean he could not pass quality

LOL @ only passed sideways

How many times did you watch him play?

Glorified Gattuso, good player nevertheless.