Michael Ballack

Mame Biram Diouf

michael_ballack_1372931c.jpg

Bayern Lev saying he is leaving at the end of the season, so this likely means his stint in Europe is over.

Always wished he had left Germany for Real/England when the interest was there to see how really good he was.

But guy was a real German machine. 6 ft 2 box to box is a lot of peoples nightmare

Just wondering looking back how highly would you rate him in his prime?

Better then Viera? Keane? Davids? Gerrard? Y.Toure? Efffenburg? Seedorf? Veron? Essien? Redondo? Pep? Scholes? Robson? etc

Underrated or Overrated? TBH some big games he did go missing

But his presence, leadership, tough tackling, shooting, passing etc was lethal.

For me he is deffo top 5 midfielders of the 2000s generation. Him in his prime against Viera and Keane in the Prem would have been mouth watering

• 3 weeks later...

Could never see Ballack going down as one of the all time greats.

Every 10 years there is someone that breaks through and takes the mantle as a midfield leader in every country

It's just the how the development of life works.

30 years ago people would have been saying the same thing about Guilt, Rijkaard etc.

Ballack followed in the footsteps of Didi Hamman just like Lampard followed in the footsteps of Paul Scholes.

The true great players in my view defy the laws of physics and beat all logic, they create new positions, new roles, they define new tactical knowledge and innovate thinking.

I don't think Ballack has done this.

You look at Makalele, now he's a true great.