Iranian Nuclear Weapons - Scientific Breakthrough

The New Diaby

As President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad loads nuclear fuel rods into the Tehran Research Reactor, experts say Iran does have the technology to make a nuclear weapon, but lacks the political will - for now.

Iran unveiled new centrifuges able to enrich uranium much faster, a move sure to intensify suspicions that it is seeking to make atomic bombs.

"The era of bullying nations has past. The arrogant powers cannot monopolise nuclear technology. They tried to prevent us by issuing sanctions and resolutions but failed," Mr Ahmadinejad said in a live television broadcast.

"Our nuclear path will continue."

He added that the "fourth generation" of centrifuge would be able to refine uranium three times as fast as previously.

The broadcast demonstration is also being seen as a show of defiance by Tehran, which appears to have make significant progress in its nuclear ambitions despite sanctions imposed on it by the West.

American officials were quick to dismiss today's developments. State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland told reporters that Tehran's reported advances were: "not terribly new and not terribly impressive."

Speaking on Channel 4 News, Mark Fitzpatrick, the Director of the Non-Proliferation and Disarmament Programme at the International Institute for Strategic Studies, said that although it had hyped up its nuclear progress, Iran does have the technology to make a nuclear weapon, but he stressed that for Iran to do so would be a political decision with devastating consequences:

"Iran has enough low-enriched material for four weapons-worth - if further enriched. But if they went to further enrich it, the inspectors would find out, the world would know and we would be at war. I don't think Iran will take that step - at least not in this year, but it's getting closer."

British nuclear consultant John Large, has warned that there is an increased risk of a major nuclear disaster as a consequence of the country's scientific isolation. Tehran's infrastructure is old and rudimentary, and it has been working on its nuclear programme for a long time without assistance from more nuclear advanced nations:

"Because Iran has not been given the expertise of the international nuclear community, because its scientists have not been allowed to attend conferences and because its components are so old, yes, there is a big risk of the plant being unstable," he said.

CLICK LINK FOR VIDEO

http://www.channel4.com/news/iranian-nuclear-weapon-getting-closer

The less countries that own nukes the better, i ain't trying to see anyone new join the club. No one should have nukes tbh

but lol @ equality in owning nuclear weapons

I'm sure the people who lived through the cold war age would disagree with you.

You man wanna live in a world where we have nuclear stand off's yeah ?

:/

I rate Iran so highly i've been following them for the last 3 months now. What their acheiving in terms of medical, scentific, military and nuclear technology is simple remarkable especially with the west and Israel literally trying there best to get the world on their side. As it stand now they are failing miserably. I'm completely done with BBC, SKY NEWS etc. Follow RT.COM and PressTV and Tehran Times. When the west falls which it will i just hope our genereation don't get the repercussions for all the deamonz arrogant behavior

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Bomb Israel already and lets start this war.

Argentina give me jokes they have named their football top league after a ship sunk by the British Pmsl. Invade Falklands already.

China need to stop with trying to messing up Japan's trades and just bomb them.

Let world war 3 start low the longness

West is lesser of two evils

Iranian government is scum, they dont give a f*ck about you or your personal freedom, or your right to knowledge.

They are like an extreme version of a radical muslim Tea party, who have been in power for 30 years.

They hijacked the revolution with lies.

If anything is clear, is that where revolution occurs for liberation, organisation and vision is always a shortfall. Whether it is 30 years ago in Tehran, or last year in Tahrir square, the peaceful, liberal ideologists never manage to implement a systainable system where the freedoms and transperancy they fought for can flourish.

The organisation and vision fuelled by greed and personal gain has always more effective.

Maybe its because its always easier to only know and care about what you want, as opposed to wanting to know and care about what others want.

If only there was a system that could harness mankind's greed to create a more sustainable world, instead of a world where millions die because of the actions of a few.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

but why can one country have them then dictate which other countries can

there's not jus 1, theres a few

britian, pakistan, north korea etc

n for a simple answer to your question.....peace

when the world is inbalanced there is peace

this is all jus theatrics

its been written that this is gona happen for years n now you can see it clearly

ww3 lolz

i know i know

but

why cant Iran have them and dictate that the US cant?

I don't think the world will end in 2012, rather it will end in a way as we know it. The euro will collapse and the value of the $ will drop at fast levels causing hyper inflation. I reckon the west will make an attempt to secure natural resources somwhere and fail. China will come pick up the peices and we will be working off their debt for generations

i know i know

but

why cant Iran have them and dictate that the US cant?

Maybe cos Iran controls it's Central Bank. Therefore the US is not controlling fck all

Was trying to find the answer to this yesterday,

Iran are saying they are enriching uranium to 20%

Weapons grade is 85% or so

How long does it take to get to 20% and then to weapons grade? Why does it take so long?

Then you have to think about the actually technology to launch a nuke and accurately.

and long distance strikes are a next thing altogether.

I was talking to my friend who works in the city as a risk analysis about the Iran oil embargo and how its effecting the markets.

We spoke about a potenial war. If Iran has just ONE nuclear bomb and the West goes to war with them they will take out Israel no qualms. That is the threat that the West want to eliminate

I agree that it is not right how someone who has neclear weapons tell someone that they can't have any. However if Iran did join the neclear weapon club I think they would be the first to use one. There is too much doubt around Iran's intentions for neclear development.