Prisoners

The New Diaby

Do you think that prisoners should be given a letter of thanks from the government for serving their time and be given a vote of confidence someone in the letter in hoping they can go onto better things and progress their lives? maybe the letter can contain some factual evidence like you have two great sons at home and a loving wife who'll be glad to see you etc.

I think something as simple as this when leaving prison may really strike home, whether the person is reading it on the bus home or walking down the street on their way home.

Obviously there are some criminals who have done atrocious things but maybe this could be done for those who have served under 5 years and are under the age of 30?

• Upvote 1

So like some form of constant contact by the month or every 2 months that checks on their progress?

See, I don't believe prisoners should be left to defend themselves alone back in their environments

Going back to their old environments is a drug in itself

I think regular communication would be good, ex-cons can feel the justice system has an interest in what they are doing not just left out their waiting to come back in again.

They should also try and send regular updates on possible jobs, although limited, the justice system should try and make an effort to reform lives.

Why would you pay special attention to the under five year offenders and just dump the hardcore criminals into the streets?

It was a spur of the moment topic based on a documentary I was watching.

If you could sit down for a month you could logically work out a decent structure.

My initial ballpark figure of <5 was based around not wanting to offend the victims families whereby you start going past the five years and you're into murders and serious criminal activity.

Of course no one in prison should be forgotten but there are those who wouldn't give two shits about such a scheme and that's to be expected.

Would have to work on an opt-in basis discretionary I guess.

Why would you pay special attention to the under five year offenders and just dump the hardcore criminals into the streets?

It was a spur of the moment topic based on a documentary I was watching.

If you could sit down for a month you could logically work out a decent structure.

My initial ballpark figure of <5 was based around not wanting to offend the victims families whereby you start going past the five years and you're into murders and serious criminal activity.

Of course no one in prison should be forgotten but there are those who wouldn't give two shits about such a scheme and that's to be expected.

Would have to work on an opt-in basis discretionary I guess.

Yeah originally I agreed with the <5 but then I thought why give the serious criminals a higher chance of re-offending and hurting someone else? Might as well hand out life sentences more frequently.

• 2 weeks later...