Wojciech Szczesny - I fear for my Arsenal future.

The New Diaby

There have been many discussions about who should be the main back up to Wojciech Szczesny in the Arsenal goal, and Vito Mannone is generally quoted as the fourth-choice keeper at the Emirates.

But while Manuel Almunia seems to be happy just killing time while collecting 50,000 a week until his contract runs out, and Lukasz Fabianski moaning about losing his place in the Poland team (and Arsenal) to his younger countryman, Mannone has been quietly making a name for himself out on loan at Hull City in the Championship.

The Tigers drew 0-0 with Brighton in midweek which meant that Mannone had broken a clean-sheet record held since 1908 and he has now gone nine hours and 44 minutes since conceding, and the club has moved to within two points of a play-off place.

Mannone himself refused to take the credit personally and congratulated the whole team. “It is a great achievement for everyone. You could see against Brighton we defended with character and looked really solid, from the front man all the way through the team.

“It was a good feeling to get the clean sheet, even though I was disappointed not to have won.

“Playing behind this defence is great because I know where I need help. They are always there. Also, in the last six games I have been able to help them out when needed so that has been pleasing.

“We are all very proud, especially as it is a long time since the club managed six in a row. I once went five games for Italy Under-21s. I also had a few good runs at Arsenal but never six before.

“As a goalkeeper, clean sheets are what I live for. My job is to keep the ball out of the net so to do it, with a lot of help from the team, is very pleasing.â€

• Downvote 2