Advice needed

o-guy

Basically i was one of those breddahs that got where they wanted to be, then stopped doing anything and got fat, not to far off from chubby in my opinion.

I started running and dieting. I more or less completely stopped eating crap and slow burning carbs like pasta, potatoes etc.

I’ve lost a bag of weight, propa slimed down. The thing is though, I’ve still got some belly left but I can tell I’ve started to lose muscle as well. People have already started to comment on how I’ve lost weight in the face to the point that I shouldn’t really lose anymore. But as I said I still have some belly left. Not a lot by any means, but there’s some there, and I want none to be.

Before I thought I should just diet till it goes away, but I don’t want to be marga by the time that happens.

Basically I’m asking what should I do to keep the amount of muscle I have, but still lose the remaining fat.

I was thinking that I should allow the cardio, keep the diet but also start banging out weights again.

Advice would be appreciated.

belly fat is the hardest to shift.

im in a similar position, stopped doing weights and started running and people are tryna chat to me about it

i still have some belly, f em all keep going til the belly is gone. crunches and leg raises until di abs are there constant

once the belly fat is gone you can always get the muscle back

to shift the fat you gotta eat less cals then you burn. i would not drop weights personally and just do cardio all you will get is that skinny fat look. I would google stronglifts 5x5 or Rippetoes Starting Strength (same as 5x5 but you do 3x5 instead)

Heavy weights will build muscle. more muscle built = more calories burnt daily as muscle is "metabolically active" meaning it burns calories for fuel. Just doing cardio constantly will mean you will lose "weight" on the scales but not a lot of fat. The weight you will lose will be a combination of muscle and fat.

google a BMR Calculator to get your daily maintence cals then use the Haries Benedict Equation to calcualte how many cals you need with the training you do then simply subtract 500-1000 to lose 1-2 lbs a week (1lb of fat is about 3500 cals divided by 7 days)

for diet I would look at the following

http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html and http://examine.com/leangains-faq/

it does work as I have tried it and you can see some client results on there - basically you eat your cals in an 8 hour window with 60% or more of them being consumed post workout. give it a go - it is quite hard the first few days as you are used to eating throughout the day - i personally used a 1pm-9pm window with training at 6-7pm. so would eat my first meal at 1pm, then again at 4pm then HUGE meal at 8-9pm.

so lift HEAVY, eat CLEAN and rest WELL and it will fall into place.

• Upvote 1

What JayB said, great post.

What I found with cardio is you can lose a lot of size but the fat will still remain there and you will be at great risk of getting stretch marks.

Once you get big there is no way back and most people think of the logically idea that to lose weight will get them back into shape but it isn't

When you've gotten big you have to maintain that weight through muscle or you will look gaunt and be clinically unhealthy.

I'm not a firm believer in cardio to shift the belly fat and it should only be done to keep you "active" so don't go into extremes like 5-10 miles every couple of days.

Definitely focus on lifting heavy weights and eating clean.

how old are you ?

what you were doing when you were like 18 wont work if your 25

before when i used to bulk i still had a flat stomach.....now i only have that if i cut and obv abs wont show unless your work on the muscles there

defo wouldnt stop wieghts

bang out the weights 3 times a week and cardio twice....change up your diet and cut out carbs after 4/5pm

different things work for different people but chose a schedule and stick to it for at least 2months....your not going to see results overnight

cuttin carbs after a certain time is just another example of "broscience" all this eating 6-8 times a day every 2 hours, no carbs after 6pm, fasted morning cardio etc etc is imo a load of rubbish. You gain weight by eating too many calories - you lose weight by eating less calories. Its cals in vs cals out. If to lose weight you need to eat 2500 cals, you could have it over 5,4,3, or even 2 meals.

You could eat 2500 cals of pasta if you wanted...is it advisable...obviously not as you would feel like sh*t with all that gluten, wheat being digested, but you would still lose weight if you are eating at a surplus. Carbs after a certain time is also a myth - how does your body know wot time it is and why is it a specific time not 8pm or 10pm or 12pm (Dorian Yates words not mine lol)

Like Mesnut said, there are many routines, etc but you gotta stick to something for at least a few months to know if it works. Get a solid weight lifting routine. Go to bodybuilding.com and look at the "find a plan" tab on there if you need some guidance if stronglifts isnt your thing. as previous post look at leangains for diet advice, Do weight training 3 times a week with cardio 2-3 times a week and results will follow

cuttin carbs after a certain time is just another example of "broscience" all this eating 6-8 times a day every 2 hours, no carbs after 6pm, fasted morning cardio etc etc is imo a load of rubbish. You gain weight by eating too many calories - you lose weight by eating less calories. Its cals in vs cals out. If to lose weight you need to eat 2500 cals, you could have it over 5,4,3, or even 2 meals.

You could eat 2500 cals of pasta if you wanted...is it advisable...obviously not as you would feel like sh*t with all that gluten, wheat being digested, but you would still lose weight if you are eating at a surplus. Carbs after a certain time is also a myth - how does your body know wot time it is and why is it a specific time not 8pm or 10pm or 12pm (Dorian Yates words not mine lol)

you gain weight by eating too many calories yes, but you RETAIN weight by not understanding how your body uses up calories as well.

thats where the more, smaller meals, and knowing what to eat when applies.

a person can be 75kg and certainly not overweight for his bodyframe, yet he could want to gain muscle, or Lose some bodyfat.

if he doesnt eat properly, at the right times it doesnt matter how well he works out he will be missing out on getting to his goal faster, and better than just watching calories in isolation. Other factors such as age, and the good old genetics stuff come into play but the complete structure is regulating your body to burn calories throughout the day, and you do that by timing your foods and understanding what you're eating when and why.