'Kit deals and a happy club are as good as points'

User

didnt even need to make up a funny title, kenny >>>>>>>>

Kenny Dalglish: 'Kit deals and a happy club are as good as points'

• Liverpool manager says there are many way to judge a season

• Dalglish calls for FA action over Arsène Wenger's 'diving' claim

Kenny-Dalglish-has-defend-007.jpg

With Liverpool languishing in seventh place in the Premier League, Kenny Dalglish has been forced to defend his record at Anfield. Photograph:

Kenny Dalglish has launched an impassioned defence of his record atLiverpool, claiming he should not be judged by the club's league position alone and that kit deals are as important as victories.

Despite his success in bringing Liverpool their first trophy in six years in the shape of the Carling Cup, Dalglish goes into Tuesday's Merseyside derby facing greater questioning than at any time since his return to Anfield 14 months ago. Liverpool have won only two of their past 11 league games and, should they lose to Everton, they will find themselves below David Moyes's side.

Dalglish, who in his first stint at Anfield lived by the maxim that first is first, second is nowhere, argued that he should be judged by his impact at Liverpool on and off the field. His eventual aim, he said, was to restore the old values to Anfield.

"The club is now where it was before – each one for each one, everybody in it together," said the Liverpool manager. "There are many ways you can judge a season and the best way is progress at the football club as a whole. I don't think it necessarily relates to trophies or points.

"You can measure it by how the club has progressed and where it is, from the first team to the kids. Off the pitch, especially, the club is a lot stronger than what it was. You go off the pitch and see how much money we are getting through sponsorship and kit deals [the club signed a deal with US-based Warrior Sports in January worth a potential £300m over six years].

"You look at the academy and see how much better it is. You look around here [at Melwood] and most of the people have got a smile on their faces now. The squad is stronger than it was last year. What other areas are there to improve on – apart from points?"

Dalglish used the three Liverpool dropped at home to Arsenal in a match they dominated as a case study, although he was unimpressed by Arsène Wenger's claim that Luis Suárez dived to win a penalty that was missed by Dirk Kuyt, and called on the FA to investigate the Arsenal manager's comments.

"He never said that to me," Dalglish said. "He [Wenger] said it was a fantastic performance by us and that they were fortunate to win. I am sure the FA will look into that and take him to task for it. If you can't comment on the position of England manager, then you can't comment on someone else's player, can you?"

The question of whether Suárez remains on Merseyside, despite the sometimes self-defeating uncritical support Liverpool have given their striker over the Patrice Evra affair, may cast a shadow as the season climaxes. Dalglish dismissed Suárez's comments that he would "love to play alongside Diego Lugano" at Paris St-Germain.

Suárez may just have been responding politely to a question on French television. However, under Qatari ownership, PSG can offer the Uruguayan a massive salary and the near certainty of playing in the Champions League. At Liverpool that may be a long time coming.

On Wednesday, Moyes will celebrate a decade at Goodison Park. When it came to analysing his record against Liverpool he regretted both the absence of a league win at Anfield and the realisation that, though he has often drawn close to his neighbours, he has never really gone past them. Even when Everton finished above Liverpool in 2005, it was the year the Anfield club won the Champions League. "We have been in similar situations over the years and never been able to take the leap," he said, citing the vast difference in the two clubs' spending as the principal reason. "It might be possible that one day we could compete as equals. I would like it not to be always about money because then it would be only the richest clubs that ever win. I always hoped that somehow we could compete against that."

Nevertheless, after victories over Manchester City, Chelsea and Tottenham, this may not be the "tough season" Moyes was predicting a few months back. "I could possibly tell you in the next week or two whether we are above expectations or not," he said. "Six weeks ago I said I wouldn't have watched Everton; we weren't playing well enough or getting enough results. But we have done better; the players have dug in, we have hung in and not felt sorry for ourselves.

"If you had said then that we'd have won those three games and drawn at Wigan and QPR, I'd have been sceptical but it shows we are getting back to where we were in the past, though I hope it lasts for more than a month."

• Downvote 1

i did read it.

he saying he shouldnt be judged about on onfield sucess alone (the job he is employed to do) but the stuff he has no responsibility for aswell :lol:

guys a nutter.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Its not like he secured those deals though.

Which is why he doesn't claim a single time that he did :/ he talks about the club as a whole, the changes at THE CLUB regardless of who was responsible for each individual change, he's talking about the season not his own individual changes alone.

He's saying a season shouldn't be judged on the on the field activity alone but what has happened throughout the club, this isn't an 'i did this and that' its an overall analysis on what is regarded as a successful or non-successful season for a football club. The stuff he's bringing up is relevant because its stuff that has needed improving on for YEARS now. He brings up the off field issues. The sponsorship and shirt deals have needed improving for some time, its another source of income that many fans overlook until it is brought under the microscope. The academy is actually progressing now and producing players that look promising enough to make the first team squad and actually look like they will more likely than not have a future at the club at first team level, this has been needed for ages and has been a work in progress but only began properly under rafa who made drastic changes and was criticised endlessly for it, funny how suddenly the same people who were calling rafa nuts for wanting more control over the academy and youth team set-up are now praising youngsters he played a massive part in us bringing in due to this change in his involvement in the youth at liverpool e.g. Sterling and Suso when before no-one mentioned any of our youth players and constantly slated our youngsters, would f*ck*ng love to know who people think made these changes because benitez got nothing but stick for wanting to make changes despite people clearly seeing how dire the academys record for producing good enough youngsters was becoming. The last thing he mentions is about the general feel around the club and the squad and both needed improving upon which they have been, the teams morale dropped massively in hodgsons time at the club and no-one seemed to want to be here, thats changed alot since kenny took over, the squad has been improved upon and we have even won a trophy along the way, rather than it looking like our best players will just look to leave again players look happier and we have ended a 6 year trophy drought.

He's not talking about himself alone, not hard to see that tbh. He's talking about all the changes at the club and saying more than just points and trophies contribute to how a season can be judged. This isn't him trying to say 'results have been bad recently but i secured a shirt deal worth x amount' he doesn't take credit for those things a single time, he's talking about the changes at the club in more recent times and saying that there have been positive moves across the whole club which will have an impact in the coming season(s) and the future. He's made a massive impact since coming back both on and off the field but most people really do look at points and silverware alone, so many of his choices and decisions to take parts of the club in certain directions are overlooked by the general football fan, people should have a look at our owners previous knowledge and experience in football and look into the kinds of things Dalglish wanted to instill back into the club.

Its funny the way people view the spin put onto interviews regarding their own players and manager in contrast to how they view it for other clubs. Own team - reading in depth into it and actually looking at what the point of the article/interview was and whats most likely been extracted from said interview... Other team - its fact, the managers going crazy, the title bares direct relevance to the article and is a quote from the player/manager in question

• Downvote 7

He brought stability to the club and I respect him for that but he isn't the right guy for the job

If he cant drop guys like Carragher for Coates cos he is, he's darg and shit. In hindsight he should even be stripping Gerrard for the skipper role cos the guy barely plays 10 games a season for us.

Kenny should have just remained in a ambassadorial position you can't be out of the game for 15 years and come back like football aint developed ALOT

Man my club keep fucking itself over all the time

:lol: you sounding mad as hell right now and :lol: at anyone reading those paragraphs

we know what he meant but the point is it doesn't need to be said, especially not by him and especially not now

he's only adopting this 'bigger picture' stance because he's feeling the pressure of spending the best part of £100M on a team that can just about beat a Championship side on penalties - thats bad i tell ya

just out of interest how much money was Hodgson given when he was there? something close to £20M? jeebus!!

He brought stability and sh*t players.

He has no business in this era of football.

C/S he is out of his depth in today's game was not there for the natural evolution like fergie, wenger. Kenny should not be managing he needs to chill with the rest of his era of managers. Hoddle, souness, Atkinson, Taylor, Gregory the new era has left these guys back in the 80's

• 2 weeks later...

How did I sleep on this!

C/S about him being out date

15 years out of Management is a very long time.

From time you planned to use a system what is based on crosses for a big CF to get on the end of in open play then you know your in trouble

Tactics like that belong in the dark ages/The lower league

KK has always been tactically inept/Average in the transfer market.

First time round he inherited a very good winning team/At Blackburn he had the biggest budget and was lucky to win the league that year/He took Newcastle from a Top Two team and turned them into a bottom half team/KK and Barnes formed the Dream Team at Celtic :lol:

Any other team he would of been sacked by now and to think Liverpool c*ck blocked and didn't appreciate Rafa

KK>>>><<<<<>>>>>><<<<<<<<<

i still think Carroll is a good player but the way Liverpool play doesn't suit his game so it was an odd signing on that front alone

plus the move to LFC came too soon for Carroll, he needed another FULL season with Newcastle in the Prem at the least

just a shame for Carroll's sake that he'll be forever tainted by his 'valuation' and less so for his performances (which have been beyond dire, horrible tactics or not)

he signed shearer for blackburn still

he thought carrol was like alan and blew the money on him

but newcastle signed 2 affs that are better and finished above us with 35million in the bank..biggest lick in history

when you put it like that lool fack Kenneth

damn son

• Upvote 2

where is flojo, must be in a deep depression at the moment :lol: