Why does Alex Ferguson, not sign German players?

Fighting Weight

To my knowledge United have only ever had a couple of German born players, but never any in the first team

There's never been an abundance of German players in the Premier League but most big clubs have had at least one notable player, be it Lehman, Ballack, Reidle, Babel, Huth, Klinsman etc..

Considering there is an overabundance of young German talent (especially in a lot in areas United need) at the moment it seems logical he could look to the Bundesliga to strengthen the side, but he seems to have a reluctance buying from the league

United have always been linked with players, but I'm not sure if a concrete bid was ever made, even for Neuer.

It's odd.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Guest petercrotch

He's always prefered british players now he's trying to mix it up .

He will never sign an african though due to the african nations being played every two years

^He's signed players for every major footballing country in the world, and given that German players traditionally go through a less gruelling transitional period while adapting to the PL than footballers from other leagues (Brazil, Spain, Italy) because of the nature of the Bundesliga, I find it very strange. Genuinely think after his typical germans comment he may actually dislike them.

I wouldn't say it's anything sinister. He chased Ballack for years but lost out, and he had an interest in Neuer but he had no chance with Bayern on the scene.

What German's have played in England that would have been good enough for Man Utd? I bet that pool is no bigger than 5 or 6. And I bet for most German players Man Utd aren't a bigger drawer than Bayern.

I wouldn't say it's anything sinister. He chased Ballack for years but lost out, and he had an interest in Neuer but he had no chance with Bayern on the scene.

What German's have played in England that would have been good enough for Man Utd? I bet that pool is no bigger than 5 or 6. And I bet for most German players Man Utd aren't a bigger drawer than Bayern.

Don't understand the relevance of this, point is, there's been plenty of German players that have been good enough to play...

Don't understand the relevance of this, point is, there's been plenty of German players that have been good enough to play...

What I'm saying is it's not like there's an abundance of top-drawer German players who've come to England over the past 15 years, is there?

He wanted Neuer and Ballack. The former he never had a chance due to Bayern and the latter chose Chelsea. I'm sure he'd love Schweinsteiger too, but again he's not getting him out of Bayern.

Basically, what German players have moved to less successful/prestigious clubs than Man Utd, that would be good enough to get into the Man Utd side over the last 15 years?

In England you're looking at Hamann, Klinsmann, Ballack and Lehmann (may have missed someone totally obvious). He wanted Ballack, Klinsmann was only ever a loan and he had Keane when Hamman moved over here (and after he moved to Liverpool he was off-limits).

Guest petercrotch

Yeah nothing sinister about it . The best germans tend to play for bayern anyway which is like united of england , the barca or madrid of spain .

The best germans are always going to choose the best team in germany rather than the best team in england because it's their home . Unless bayern go bankrupt or something which will never happen

There haven't been many top draw Germans in the last ten years probably the ones mentioned.

From 2002-2010 were dark times for Germany in terms of top draw players now they are coming left/right/centre.

There was a bid for Ballack when was on a Bosman but he chose Chelsea because his wife wanted London and plus a salary of 120k was too good to turn down

To think the likes of Ruminegge/Kaiser were telling Ballack to join Man Utd instead of Chelsea

Did Sir Alex try for Ozil but got turned down by the player in favour of Real?

I reckon we will in the next few years.

Normally the best ones are concentrated at Bayern Munich but with so many coming through they will have to move abroad to play at a higher level.

He would to have Bastian here but there is no way we are getting him same way there is no chance of them getting Giggs/Scholes

Just how it is unfortunately

But German value for money >>>>

There best players move for peanuts

German players traditionally go through a less gruelling transitional period while adapting to the PL than footballers from other leagues (Brazil, Spain, Italy)

Needs backing up a bit with examples, bit of a sweeping statement

Mertesacker comes to mind

I'd even argue Ballack was better for Bayern Munich

I reckon we will in the next few years.

Normally the best ones are concentrated at Bayern Munich but with so many coming through they will have to move abroad to play at a higher level.

He would to have Bastian here but there is no way we are getting him same way there is no chance of them getting Giggs/Scholes

Just how it is unfortunately

But German value for money >>>>

There best players move for peanuts

Ozil in the same contractual situation as Young

Way much talented/A very good summer/three years younger but went for less

SNM